Dealers versions of "realistic probable mpg" ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've owned our TS since new and have averaged 8.8 mpg over those 109,000 miles. The average has even gone up .05 mpg over the last year or so. Our coach is 40'5" long with the Cummins ISL 400 engine and, with toad, currently weighs about 35,000#s. Until 2 years ago we towed an XTerra SUV which weighed 1,300#s more than our current toad. According to my Silverleaf, I have had a number days of over 10 mpg and even had one of 11.5 mpg over 250 miles a month ago.

A lot depends on how you drive; my cruise control is set at 62 mph and is almost always on, we are on highways or long open stretches of road for a lot of our travels and always try to drive downhill with a tailwind (well it worked on the day we got 11.5 ;D ). We broke in the engine very carefully, I drive like a raw egg is under my right foot (except when the cruise is on ;) ), I constantly monitor my tire pressures and I follow the engine/chassis maintenance schedule very closely. It pays off at the fuel stops.

That said, and as others have commented, 1 mpg difference will make a difference in fuel costs of less than $1,000/year. Compared to the cost of the RV and your total operating costs, it  is relatively insignificant.

We made a trip from Little Rock Arkansas to Denver Colorado and back with the FC35 "84" Bluebird. and averaged 9.2 MPG. [3208 CAT 250 HP.] Made the same trip with our current "97 40' Bluebird [M14 450 HP Cummins], and averaged 7.9 MPG. A lot of milage difference can be caused by weather you are using heat or air during the trip. When using air I run the generator. [I don't see any difference weather using the generator or dash air in milage, but the overhead AC's keep the whole coach cool, not just the front. I find that the best milage is during the cooler months due to not needing the generator, but only see a difference of about .2 or .3 miles per gallon.

Thanks for the feedback... It's helpful to get actual experience of others for understanding and when their signature info includes what MH they have, at least some comparisons or validity of experience can be made. Good on this topic - thanks.

I would love to see a big DP  do 12 mpg...not going to happen.
I have a 97 36' with a 5.9 Cummins 24valve motor and 6 speed allison.  I would hazard a guess that this is probably one of (if not the best) the best rigs for mileage.
I can get 12 Cdn, or 10 us mpg.  I am VERY happy with this number and I do not see any other config beating it for fuel economy.

Seems like you got an honest answer from the Winnie dealer!
Good Luck
Ron

seilerbird said:
All RVs get lousy mileage.

If you are concerned about the gas mileage of an RV then I think that this may be the wrong endeavor for you to engage in.

There is more to life than gas mileage.

AMEN!!!

We are new RVers and don't follow the mileage statistics like we did when we first started out. The reason is the same as others have said. Its not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. We don't smoke or drink or gamble, so that alone pays for the extra fuel costs and poor mileage. We like to travel, so we are going to do it, and the cost is just part of the deal. We bought the RV to travel and see things until we are too old to do it anymore.

As someone said.."you can't take it with you"!

Stan & Becky

While the actual fuel economy should not be a primary consideration, you should keep track of your mileage over time as a decrease in MPG may indicate a developing problem with your engine.

Ned said:
While the actual fuel economy should not be a primary consideration, you should keep track of your mileage over time as a decrease in MPG may indicate a developing problem with your engine.
Ned, my experience always seems the engine runs the best righyt before they blow up, especially with the race cars. "More wear, less friction"

I  purchased a 2006 Holiday Rambler 39 ft. with the Cummins Diesel in Jan. 2011. My wife and I took our first extended trip with the unit in April and May. We did not tow a vehicle. We put about 6600 miles on the rig during that time. I cruised at 60 mph and the onboard computer said I was averaging around 9.6 mpg. On the  final day of the trip I bumped my speed up to 65-66 mph and my fuel consumption went to 9 mpg. I just purchased a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door Rubicon and it will be interesting to see what happens to my fuel consumption on my next trip. We spent about $3500 for a 2 month vacation and saw a lot of the good ole USA. I can not think of any other vacation for two that would cost that.

That 9.6 would be great .. if you are  actually match  the onboard computer mpg ..
In any case, I've purchased the 2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP with the Cummins DP 8.9L 425 with the Allison 6 speed with the 2 OverDrive ? - and 2 stage Jake brake on the Powerglide chassis... Talked with previous owner and hoping for same / better for a couple good reasons.... he runs full speed limit and towed p/u with big bikes in the bed .. estimates nearly 8000# .. I'll be little  over 4500...
Expecting to get on WED... if all goes well, will change the signature info then...
Explored a dozen or so and drove several .... believe we made the right choice for us.... changing out the two big Euro stuffed recliners for a new loveseat on drivers side but OK with rest of floor plan.

Back
Top Bottom