Doves in Sacramento

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Recently added images to my Flickr portfolio of two doves in the Sacramento area. Was able to get these shots from fairly far away with my Canon EF 100-400mm L Series lens, at around 330mm.

Scrolling down from the Doves, my brothers grandson, Kyle, was married a few weeks ago at a winery in Livermore, CA. The pro photographer was one of the best I have observed so there really was no need for other shots -- however, I got a few images that I liked of the bride and one of her bridesmaids coming down the aisle between rain showers that I liked. Light without sun or flash can be very nice at times with some environmental portraits.

Bob, Nice photos...I have so many Ring Neck Doves around my house in FL that I would love to get rid of. It is a constant battle keeping the vehicles clean. That is the price I pay living in a bird sanctuary.

You need one of these owl scarecrows.

http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-21-Owl-Decoy/dp/B000U0D1XI

gwcowgill said:
Boy the doves aren't going to like that.
I was driving through Minnesota one time and I noticed an owl perched on top of a power pole. I stopped and took a few shots of it and waited around for a different pose. After about five minutes I realized it wasn't moving. I figured it would not have died standing up. I was really embarrassed when I figured out it was a scarecrow. They look very real and they are fearsome predators. The doves won't go near your cars if you put one up in the driveway. Notice I have never published my owl photo...

Now that is funny but it reminds me of the time we were in Custer State Park and saw a Prong Horn that was just standing there looking and I said to my wife it has to be a decoy and she agreed with me until it moved. Did get a couple nice shots though.

[quote author=seilerbird]I was really embarrassed when I figured out it was a scarecrow.[/quote]

Now I don't feel so bad. I did a similar thing a few years ago while out in my fishing boat.

Owl scarecrows are used on some sailboats in the mistaken opinion that they will keep the seagulls away :)

Where did you find an owl "scarecrow" from a fishing boat, Tom?

I didn't, which was why I said "I did a similar". There are numerous plastic owls on dock pilings around our neighborhood; They're not there to scare crows, and I'm not sure they scare anything. The "bird" I took repetitive pictures of wasn't an owl, but we get lots of cormorants, green herons, and other birds sitting on dock pilings.
Edit: Fixed typo.

Back
Top Bottom