The start of my remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what a great job!! I am like you, i do a lot myself due to $$ and because i like the feeling of it being done right. Any compromises are intentional and known. Not an easy job, especially dovetailed into the rest of an already hectic life.

I'd say that your ability to work hard and diligently will take you far.

http://silverskyproject.zzl.org/090911.html  Next update. May be a while before the next one, whenever that happens to be

Since you live in Montana, whatever you are doing to prep your rig for winter...please share.

I'll be facing the same thing soon and would like to learn from others as much as possible.

Your work on that class c is is awesome.

My plans will be to obviously put a skirt around it, which includes covering the grill up front and the generator compartment in back (as neither will be used. The rear window, with its size (and being plexiglas), I am planning on closing it off with foam board insulation. Windows will be covered with the plastic, and the vents will have either foam board insulation put in it, or those pillow stuffers they sell. The cab area I will probably completely seal off with a good blanket. And, because we don't use it, I will be trying to get some foam board insulation inside the stove vent area to seal off that, as it is a direct path inside for air (can see light nicely through the outer vent at night). Those are the main things :]

I had a rig similar to yours with a Dodge 360 engine that I had a lot of problems with it vapor locking in hot weather on long pulls etc.  It turned out to be a manufacturing problem.  The fuel line from the fuel filter inside the frame about under the passenger seat to the mechanical fuel pump runs inside the frame and very near the exhuast on the right side of the motor.  I ran a new line on the outside of the frame from the filter to the pump and cured all my problems.  When I bought my next rig with a Dodge engine that was the first mod I did.
I have enjoyed following your great progress on your rig.

I've wondered "what have I done?" more than a few times (mostly with the gutting and rebuild of the bathroom and related plumbing in my '56 Yellowtone.  What a holy mess).

Y'all have done a great job and I've enjoyed your blog.  Can't wait to read "the rest of the story...."

Whirlwind

SyrenSkywolf said:
http://silverskyproject.zzl.org/090911.html  Next update. May be a while before the next one, whenever that happens to be

You're a man (and family) of many tallents...not to mention patience! That's even more of a virtue in today's world.  :)

http://silverskyproject.zzl.org/102411.html

Should be the last update until next year. Most of this update is of us getting it sealed and insulated for winter

I assume with all the insulation you have around to keep the cold out that you won't be moving it anywhere?  Kudos to you for all the hard work.  There is nothing like doing your own work when it pays off.

Nope. We are here for the winter, unless we find a really good deal on a mobile home in town or something. Would cut down the commuting costs to school and work lol. We also added insulation around and under the bed and closed off the cab with insulation. Has made a big difference.

I now have a reason to full the furnace out. I didn't have the ambition to try and get it out before to do a good clean on it, and have suffered as a result. It would occasionally fail to spark (spark ignition, not pilot), so we have a little space heater to catch it should it do that (as it just keeps running and blowing cold air). Well, about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I had the space heater set too low, so it didn't catch it, and with it running so long, it finally tipped the blower over the edge and now it scrapes and screeches constantly. Get to pull it out, replace the blower and clean it up. If would fail to ignite at random intervals. May be several times a day, may be once a week. It varied. If we could afford a new furnace, we would just go that route. Don't have that option sadly.

Do you get back to Bozeman once in a while??  I have a neighbor who is a RV Tech, retired, but still has access to used stuff and may have a furnace.  I know he has ACs in his garage and may have a furnace.  I can check if you are going to be in the area.  Let me know well in advance so I can check.

One of our Atwood furnaces vibrated the fan off center so that it screeched. Loosened up the clamps around the motor and realigned it. It has worked fine for the past five years.

I doubt if that has anything to do with your ignition problem.

I so like seeing these old motorhomes and trailers being given a new life.  I think that is awesome.

And you sure are buttoned up nice and warm for winter, the kitties and wife should love it!

We like to work on old trailers too and I enjoyed your narrative and photos.

What are you studying in school if you don't mind me asking?  And sounds like you got a job pretty quick too.  I think you folks will do well.

We are going to try and get over to Bozeman sometime this month if possible, as our stuff is in storage there (drop off some things, pick up some forgotten things, etc). Not sure when, though. Could even be as late as January, although I hope that isn't the case. All hinges on available money.

I will be taking a look at everything with the motor to see if it can be adjusted and fixed, instead of spending the extra money on it, but we'll see where that goes.

The cats sure didn't appreciate it when it got into the 50's in here lol. My wife and I are both going into Wildlife Biology. After we graduate, we want to try and continue on into graduate school, whether it be here or somewhere else.

What brand furnace is in the MH??  I;ll get in touch with my neighbor and see what he can do.

Not sure if I will be around in January as they are scheduling my surgery sometime then.  I won't know till about Dec. 15 after the next visit to the Dr and we decide what, how much, where and finally when.

It's a Duo-Therm 65 series, with DSI. I'm going to try and pull it today after the game. Going to go see the Grizzlies playoff game in a little while. I'll see if I can get it fixed or not, and let you know from there. I pulled the carpet in the closet above the furnace last night and noticed a small panel. Pulled it out and it gave me "some" access to the propane line, so I will see if I can get it out of the furnace that way.

Best of luck on the upcoming surgery!

When the furnace gets a command for heat from the thermostat, the blower starts to clear any propane fumes out of the combustion chamber (both combustion and air circulation fans share the same motor). The airflow trips the sail switch, verifying that the blower is running, then after a timeout period the gas valve opens and the ignition sparks.

When the blower screeches it's not getting up to speed and won't trip the sail switch.

You may find the furnace works OK when operated out in the open, but fails to ignite when it's reinstalled.  This indicates a marginal sail switch that takes more than normal pressure to activate, or too much restriction in the furnace's output or return air paths.  The sail switch is located in the room blower, not the combustion blower like you'd think.

Check the duct work and outlets for obstructions, and make sure the RV manufacturer provided a clear path for makeup air to get to the furnace.

Made a few calls, and was able to get some help with it. It is in the shop now being checked out. May end up getting a new furnace if it isn't viable to fix this one, at a large discount to me. Hate having to ask for help like this, but better than freezing.

Nice help Lou. I had been wondering why they blow cold air initially and sharing the same blower answers that question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom