Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without  (Read 84466 times)

Mamaw

• ---
We absolutely love the convenience of the remote controlled locks on our coach.  Well, hubbys remote fob has a way of using up batteries very quickly; and mine has a broken cover.  Currently mine is held together with good old duct tape.
So I tried ordering new fobs.  Quick and easy fix, right?  WRONG!  SCS/Frigette who manufactured these locks for the 2004 models is no longer in business.  Now they are using Tru-Chek.  I though we would order and get new fobs when we arrived for the WIT Rally.  It seems that you must have it rewired, etc. and the cost is in the neighborhood of $1000.00.  So, a word to the wise.  Be careful with your remote fobs.  Replacement is expensive.   If anybody knows of a way to reprogram other remotes to the frequency used on the originals, it would be wonderful.  I know you can do that on cars. 

Edit by John to change Subject to reflect the new thread direction
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:05:39 AM by John Canfield »
Mamaw (Papaw went to heaven 03/2015)
04 Winnebago 40 Vectra AD &
 2011 GMC Acadia w/Cricket

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Remote locks on entry and cargo doors...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
SCS/Fridgette declared bankruptcy a year ago (two years ago??) and apparently reincarnated themselves less all of their prior obligations.  I have no idea what they manufacture nowadays.

Winnebago got wind of the bankruptcy filing and ordered a trailer load of parts but unfortunately they never got shipped.

I think Tri-Mark is now the supplier and Winnebago produces a wiring harness converter to change over from the old system to the new system.

A year ago I was quoted about $500 from factory service to change me over to the new system.  I need to change over at some point since the outside keypad is self-destructing.  I might go with Tri-Mark or look for another supplier and engineer the wiring changes myself.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »
Less the cost of the receiver and keyFOB's, there is probably 6 wires: +12, Ground, Door Lock & Un-Lock, and Bay Lock & Unlock. If you're remotely handy with a meter, all you need to spend $ on is the electronics

QuadManiac

• ---
  • 2001 Winnebago Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:58:05 AM »
This sounds like the perfect conversion to a readily available automotive remote locking system (Audiovox, for example) - available for perhaps $50 and up.  The wiring should be easy to decipher and convert, if anybody has documentation of the original?

SuperMike

• ---
  • St Albans in England
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
Would something like this be any use. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Copier-Cloner-/230623417699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b23a1563
Depends on the fequency, but perhaps someone does something that matches yours.   ;D
SuperMike, Management & Lady Faith Finness ( A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel )

"Youth is wasted on the young." (George Bernard Shaw)

"James Bond is a bad guy, he just happens to work for the good guys." (Daniel Craig)

"Most problems can be fixed with a 10lb hammer." (My Dad, God rest his soul)

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »
Would something like this be any use. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Copier-Cloner-/230623417699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b23a1563
Depends on the fequency, but perhaps someone does something that matches yours.   ;D

I have no idea what the frequency of the original key fobs are.  I have a frequency counter in the shop and could test ours, but we're on the road.

I had a replacement system picked out several months ago, but I forgot which one it was  ::)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
I'm going to make this a sticky since we seem to have quite a bit of interest in either retrofitting electric locks to newer models, or replacement of the orphaned SCS/Fridgette remote entry system.

Pretty certain this is the new remote entry system, and if you click on the product tabs, you will find the bay door handles, power actuators, etc.

Here's the data sheet on the power actuator.

Here's another replacement system I was considering.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
John, would those work for bay doors, or are just entry door actuators?
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Marty - the link (in my above post) to the actuator is what's used on the bay doors, and might be used on the entry door as well.  I've attached a couple of pictures of my bay door actuators - one vertically opening bay door and one is a horizontal bay door.

Take a look at the back of your lock mechanism - I think you will have a plastic cover that's removable.  Compare it to my pictures.  I think your outside handle is different and would need to be replaced, not sure about the mechanical linkage.  You would need to fabricate (or buy from Winnebago) the mounting plate for the actuator and fab or buy the linkage from the actuator to the latch mechanism.

Let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:17:22 PM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
Both actuators look like the ones listed in John's post above. Two wire version. If you can replace the controller, keypads, existing actuators should work. :)

Here's the data sheet on the power actuator.

2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Thanks for the pics John, I'll see what I can work up.
Marty--

Mamaw

• ---
Supermike.   Don't have any idea if the clone thingy would work; but it was less than $20.00 to be shipped from the UK; so I ordered one to try it.  I've done that for garage doors before.  Will let you know (1) if I get it, (2) if it works.  Thanks.

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
Sure wish I could get power actuators for my bay latches.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

beaverfever

• ---
have you tried places like keyless remotes .com ?
talked to a fellow at a rv park that got his this way but do not remember the name of of web site. i used this one to get a remote for our car.

QuadManiac

• ---
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the original receiver unit as wired into the coach?  From that it should be easy to make a conversion to a multi channel, readily available, cheap, remote door lock receiver and fob - many have up to 4 channels...

I do not have the remote in my coach, so I would at least need to know what years/models do, so we can get ahold of the Winnebago wiring literature and determine the viability of conversion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:28:59 AM by QuadManiac »

SuperMike

• ---
  • St Albans in England
Supermike.   Don't have any idea if the clone thingy would work; but it was less than $20.00 to be shipped from the UK; so I ordered one to try it.  I've done that for garage doors before.  Will let you know (1) if I get it, (2) if it works.  Thanks.

I hope it works. Here's hoping the frequency matches.   :o
SuperMike, Management & Lady Faith Finness ( A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel )

"Youth is wasted on the young." (George Bernard Shaw)

"James Bond is a bad guy, he just happens to work for the good guys." (Daniel Craig)

"Most problems can be fixed with a 10lb hammer." (My Dad, God rest his soul)

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the original receiver unit as wired into the coach?  From that it should be easy to make a conversion to a multi channel, readily available, cheap, remote door lock receiver and fob - many have up to 4 channels...

I don't recall coming across that wiring diagram, but I'll have another look.  If it's not part of the on-line diagrams, I'm sure I can get a copy.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Mamaw

• ---

I do not have the remote in my coach, so I would at least need to know what years/models do, so we can get ahold of the Winnebago wiring literature and determine the viability of conversion.

My unit is an 04 Vectra 40AD, and John has an 05 Horizon, same floorplan. 

Edit by John to fix quote block
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:02:27 AM by John Canfield »

Mamaw

• ---
Okay ....Cloner remote arrived today, way before expected.  Good looking unit with metal all around and cover for buttons to prevent pocket pushing....but alas, it does NOT work.  I followed the instructions three times and still cannot get it to work.  So much for that $20.00; but it was worth the try.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Bummer!  I would have been amazed if you could have gotten it to work though, thanks for reporting the results.

On a happier note, I do have the wiring for the controller module, but it's a Winnie document and I can't put it up as-is on the forum (Tom the forum owner is very picky about honoring copyright  :) ).  I'm either going to transcribe/manipulate it and put it here or make it available on my web site via a link.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:39:06 PM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Doesn't the stuff from the UK run on higher voltage than the stuff from the states?  Maybe it just needs more voltage to work.......
Marty--

QuadManiac

• ---
Bummer!  I would have been amazed if you could have gotten it to work though, thanks for reporting the results.

On a happier note, I do have the wiring for the controller module, but it's a Winnie document and I can't put it up as-is on the forum (Tom the forum owner is very picky about honoring copyright  :) ).  I'm either going to transcribe/manipulate it and put it here or make it available on my web site via a link.

If you get it posted somewhere, please PM me, as I'd like to take a look-see.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Here's the link to the document,  I'll leave it up on my website for a few days.

I just noticed the document is for the 2005 Vectra/Horizon so one would infer the 2004 model year keyless entry is different.  I'll check into that.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Got a clarification - the document I have is good for the 2004 Vectra/Horizon (not sure what other models it applies to), it added details about the outside keypad.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
I'm having work on my journey, brake and tow system.  I don't know if they disconnected the batteries, but, one of my fobs stopped working. I replaced the battery, and still does not work.  Shop has my other fob.  If I have to reprogram, does any one know where the receiver module is located?

Shop will open Tuesday. Will have to wait till Tuesday to find out if they disconnected the battery.

Thanks.

Jim
Aka tin man
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Jim - in the Vectra/Horizon, the module is located in the bay under the driver's position.  You have to remove a few screws and swing away the panel that has the circuit breakers.  Not sure if the Journey is the same.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Tin man

• ---
Are you talking about the compartment outside?
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
The very same.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Tin man

• ---
Thanks John you have been very helpful.  I hope I can meet you sometime when we start traveling.  Will pick up the MH Tuesday, and start on our way back to NY.  OH THE JOYS OF THE CBE. Cross Bronx Expressway.

I'll let you know about outcome.

Jim
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

Tin man

• ---
John

This may sound stupid, but what am I looking for?  What does it look like big small?

Thanks

Jim
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

Hosted by Over The Network