Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamaw

We absolutely love the convenience of the remote controlled locks on our coach.  Well, hubbys remote fob has a way of using up batteries very quickly; and mine has a broken cover.  Currently mine is held together with good old duct tape.
So I tried ordering new fobs.  Quick and easy fix, right?  WRONG!  SCS/Frigette who manufactured these locks for the 2004 models is no longer in business.  Now they are using Tru-Chek.  I though we would order and get new fobs when we arrived for the WIT Rally.  It seems that you must have it rewired, etc. and the cost is in the neighborhood of $1000.00.  So, a word to the wise.  Be careful with your remote fobs.  Replacement is expensive.  If anybody knows of a way to reprogram other remotes to the frequency used on the originals, it would be wonderful.  I know you can do that on cars. 

Edit by John to change Subject to reflect the new thread direction

SCS/Fridgette declared bankruptcy a year ago (two years ago??) and apparently reincarnated themselves less all of their prior obligations.  I have no idea what they manufacture nowadays.

Winnebago got wind of the bankruptcy filing and ordered a trailer load of parts but unfortunately they never got shipped.

I think Tri-Mark is now the supplier and Winnebago produces a wiring harness converter to change over from the old system to the new system.

A year ago I was quoted about $500 from factory service to change me over to the new system.  I need to change over at some point since the outside keypad is self-destructing.  I might go with Tri-Mark or look for another supplier and engineer the wiring changes myself.

Less the cost of the receiver and keyFOB's, there is probably 6 wires: +12, Ground, Door Lock & Un-Lock, and Bay Lock & Unlock. If you're remotely handy with a meter, all you need to spend $ on is the electronics

This sounds like the perfect conversion to a readily available automotive remote locking system (Audiovox, for example) - available for perhaps $50 and up.  The wiring should be easy to decipher and convert, if anybody has documentation of the original?

Would something like this be any use. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Copier-Cloner-/230623417699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b23a1563
Depends on the fequency, but perhaps someone does something that matches yours.  ;D

SuperMike said:
Would something like this be any use. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Copier-Cloner-/230623417699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b23a1563
Depends on the fequency, but perhaps someone does something that matches yours.  ;D

I have no idea what the frequency of the original key fobs are.  I have a frequency counter in the shop and could test ours, but we're on the road.

I had a replacement system picked out several months ago, but I forgot which one it was  ::)

I'm going to make this a sticky since we seem to have quite a bit of interest in either retrofitting electric locks to newer models, or replacement of the orphaned SCS/Fridgette remote entry system.

Pretty certain this is the new remote entry system, and if you click on the product tabs, you will find the bay door handles, power actuators, etc.

Here's the data sheet on the power actuator.

Here's another replacement system I was considering.

Marty - the link (in my above post) to the actuator is what's used on the bay doors, and might be used on the entry door as well.  I've attached a couple of pictures of my bay door actuators - one vertically opening bay door and one is a horizontal bay door.

Take a look at the back of your lock mechanism - I think you will have a plastic cover that's removable.  Compare it to my pictures.  I think your outside handle is different and would need to be replaced, not sure about the mechanical linkage.  You would need to fabricate (or buy from Winnebago) the mounting plate for the actuator and fab or buy the linkage from the actuator to the latch mechanism.

Let us know what you find.

Attachments

• OutsideHandle.jpg
    OutsideHandle.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 126
  • VertBayDoor.jpg
    VertBayDoor.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 183
  • HorizontalBayDoorLock.jpg
    HorizontalBayDoorLock.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 162
Both actuators look like the ones listed in John's post above. Two wire version. If you can replace the controller, keypads, existing actuators should work. :)

John Canfield said:
Here's the data sheet on the power actuator.

Supermike.  Don't have any idea if the clone thingy would work; but it was less than $20.00 to be shipped from the UK; so I ordered one to try it.  I've done that for garage doors before.  Will let you know (1) if I get it, (2) if it works.  Thanks.

have you tried places like keyless remotes .com ?
talked to a fellow at a rv park that got his this way but do not remember the name of of web site. i used this one to get a remote for our car.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the original receiver unit as wired into the coach?  From that it should be easy to make a conversion to a multi channel, readily available, cheap, remote door lock receiver and fob - many have up to 4 channels...

I do not have the remote in my coach, so I would at least need to know what years/models do, so we can get ahold of the Winnebago wiring literature and determine the viability of conversion.

Mamaw said:
Supermike.  Don't have any idea if the clone thingy would work; but it was less than $20.00 to be shipped from the UK; so I ordered one to try it.  I've done that for garage doors before.  Will let you know (1) if I get it, (2) if it works.  Thanks.

I hope it works. Here's hoping the frequency matches.  :eek:

QuadManiac said:
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the original receiver unit as wired into the coach?  From that it should be easy to make a conversion to a multi channel, readily available, cheap, remote door lock receiver and fob - many have up to 4 channels...

I don't recall coming across that wiring diagram, but I'll have another look.  If it's not part of the on-line diagrams, I'm sure I can get a copy.

QuadManiac said:

I do not have the remote in my coach, so I would at least need to know what years/models do, so we can get ahold of the Winnebago wiring literature and determine the viability of conversion.

My unit is an 04 Vectra 40AD, and John has an 05 Horizon, same floorplan. 

Edit by John to fix quote block

Okay ....Cloner remote arrived today, way before expected.  Good looking unit with metal all around and cover for buttons to prevent pocket pushing....but alas, it does NOT work.  I followed the instructions three times and still cannot get it to work.  So much for that $20.00; but it was worth the try.

Bummer!  I would have been amazed if you could have gotten it to work though, thanks for reporting the results.

On a happier note, I do have the wiring for the controller module, but it's a Winnie document and I can't put it up as-is on the forum (Tom the forum owner is very picky about honoring copyright  :) ).  I'm either going to transcribe/manipulate it and put it here or make it available on my web site via a link.

Back
Top Bottom