Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I THINK it was one of the keyfob's. When they burned up we were at the beach and the surf is just noisy enough that i really couldnt hear the control relays until the tide was out and the door was shut, then i could hear this continual chatter from the receiver in the dash, and when i went outside the coach looked like a xmas tree with all the marker lights flashing on n' off. It all stopped when i pulled the battery out of the one i carry that was laying on the dash.

I've been reading this thread with interest and I was looking for what the 2nd relay for the Trimark is used for, I think the original is used for the porch light. Also does anyone have the wiring diagram to hard wire the Trimark to Winnebago.

Thanks

John I don't know if you already have this Trimark link of not; http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/easkum.aspx , but I posted just in case you don't.

n6kkh said:
I've been reading this thread with interest and I was looking for what the 2nd relay for the Trimark is used for, I think the original is used for the porch light. Also does anyone have the wiring diagram to hard wire the Trimark to Winnebago.

Thanks
i haven't poked at it too hard, but you are correct that one of the repays controls the porch light. There was also a timed output from the original control box that drove it that I don't believe is on the new one. It's irritating enough to me that I may build a trip timer from a 555 and duplicate what was lost.

I had my system replaced in Winnebago last summer, and so far all is well.  The porch light and inside light comes on when you enter with FOB.  There still seems to be a problem with reserve power.  There must be a transformer or something that need to have power.  If the coach sits idle for time cannot use the Fobs. 

Jim

John Canfield said:
Jeff - so with the Trimark, the porch light relay activates with a door unlock request and stays activated?
the original had a Porch light output on pin 10 that drove the relay for 30 sec then shut off. If tin man sez his works then mine should as well since they should be exactly the same. Ill look again today and make sure both relays are seated properly.

One thing the other one did was flash the marker lamps anytime a signal was received. I think that happens only on lock now

I know my marker lights flash, but I cannot swear if they flash while locking or unlocking.  I'll be home on Tues. so I will try than if you can wait...

Jim

Seems like lots of folks have the new system, maybe someone can pull the second relay and see what quits working, then we'll  know what it controls  ;D

Tin man said:
I know my marker lights flash, but I cannot swear if they flash while locking or unlocking.  I'll be home on Tues. so I will try than if you can wait...

Jim
So as it turns out I DID have a relay unseated. Tying off the harness and trying to be pretty caused stress on the relay connector..  :(

So, unlocking does start a 30 second timer on the porch light, so it acts as it did.

ennored said:
The beginnings of adding keyless entry to my motorhome...

That's a Towncar keypad sitting on a 1993 Cougar keyless entry module powered up on my workbench. Figured I'd make it work on the bench before I did all the work of putting it in my motorhome.

Update on my project. I could never get a keyfob working with the setup I had. Tried a few modules that use the same basic setup from T'birds, Cougars, and Mark VIII's. Just could not get it to work. The keypad is what I want, that works, but might as well have a working fob, right?

In researching my options, and what could be wrong, I learned that Prevost uses Ford setups in their coaches. They use a Ranger/Explorer box, '99-'01 vintage. Wiring is quite a bit simpler, and I have the Prevost wiring diagrams too, so I know how they make it work outside a Ford environment. It also gets me into a newer generation fob. Flip keys, one piece fob/keys  and things like that are available.

I have a control module, a fob, and some pigtails. Should have it working on my bench in the next few days....

Lights flash system works great.  Glad we had Winnebago replace system..gave away old fobs, hope they work. John how is the new system?

Jim

Some progress with my Ford system on my bench. I have a '97 Explorer system working. Keypad, lock switch, and fob will all lock and unlock a solenoid. I'd like to use the '99 module, connectors are the same, wiring is almost the same, newer fob. I've tried a module for a '99 and a '00 without any luck. Gotta stare at some diagrams and keep trying...

...kept trying. And staring. And trying. Spent a couple hours with my sisters ZX2 that uses the same module. I was STUMPED...

Until.

I figured it out!

It was my bench "power supply"*, it's output was too dirty. Hooked up a car battery and bingo, it works. New module is obviously more sensitive to the the incoming power.

Project is back underway. Gotta find a flip key now! I've actually built up a harness and done most of the work on my door to install everything. Reminding myself to take a few pictures.

* "power supply" is a old, maybe 40 years old, Craftsman battery charger

ennored said:
.."power supply" is a old, maybe 40 years old, Craftsman battery charger
Your battery charger was basically putting out a sine wave with the below zero part cut off (rectified.)  Battery chargers work great charging a battery but as you discovered are lousy bench power supplies.  However, add some filtration and voltage regulation and you have a bench power supply  :D.

Thanks for the update!

Exactly, why I typed "power supply". It would read about 12.6 volts DC with no load on my DVM. But would also read about 5.0 volts AC. The the older modules worked just fine with it, and the newer did absolutely nothing, dumb luck. Shame on me for not realizing of it sooner.

Anyway. To bring this back to the original subject of the thread. The Ford module can function with as few as 5 wires; power, ground, lock, unlock, and program. I looked up a 2004 Journey system. It has 8 wires, those 5 plus: a second power wire, parking lights, and porch light. Not sure what the 2nd power wire is, looks like they both go to the chassis fuse block. Winnebago describes one as coach, and one as chassis power. The Ford module has an output for the parking lights, and one for the interior lights (although I think it's just a signal, you'd need a timer/latching relay to have the exact same function).

So, a quick trip to the junkyard for a module, a few minutes to hook up a some wires, and less than $10 on ebay for a fresh Ford fob (or maybe free in your junk drawer - like me), and you'd have replaced your SCS/Frigette system. Add 8 more wires and you could have a keypad.

I didn't see in the Journey diagram where the bay locks link to the keyless, but the Ford system could easily be set up to unlock the main door on the first click, and the bay locks on the second.

(I'm also going to use a "relay memory module". It's from a Ford van. It will lock the door 2 seconds after it's closed if the lock command was issued when the door was open. I'm using a set of jamb contacts like Winnebago uses on the side door, so it won't lock when it's open. The memory feature insures the door will lock. I think diesels with the front door have continuous wires to them and wouldn't require this function.)

Back
Top Bottom