Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John

At the service center parts $350 labor $500 they say 5 hrs labor if less it will be cheaper. 

What do you think? 

Jim

Key less or is that clue less....

Jim - parts cost seems right but the labor seems on the high side unless they are installing a new keypad - apparently the old keypad wiring cannot be reused with a new keypad.  Replacing my system is still on the to-do list. 

Without installing a keypad, the work process is: they unplug the old box, remove it, install the wiring harness adapter and plug in two relays, mount the new box, plug in the wiring harness, test and program.

John

I thought the same thing, I told them I did not have a key pad.  I thought 5 hrs labor was a lot.  I think they just look up replacing system and come up with 5 hrs.  They did say if it was less the price would be less.  Just makes sense. 

Jim

we have a Winnebago fifth wheel , we ordered it it came with RV lock keyless system from lippert, they should fit you Winnebago with out much hassle , have key fobs and outside programmable lighted number pad and keys ....lol  look up RV lock keyless entry by lippert  ;)

Curtis Lynn said:
I have an 07 Horizon with the SCS/Frigette keypad keyless entry system and my "entry code" has stopped working. The keypad still locks the doors and cargo doors and the remote transmitters still work.  So, my question is does anyone know how to reset the "entry code"?
Thank you,
Curtis

Here's a old posting on irv2.com with programming info: How to reprogram my keyless entry

After reading this thread I purchased the controller and harness while at Winnebago. The discussion made it sound pretty straight forward: unplug old controller plug in new controller using new harness to connect to existing wiring. I was surprised to see that the harness is a good six feet long, and evidently not just a pigtail for pin compatibility.

Has anyone that has done this upgrade taken photos that can be posted? If not,I will tackle this project when I get the coach home and take photos as I go.

I had the work done this summer at the factory.  I will send photos when I get home. We are in France and will be home in November. 

See you in three weeks..

Jim

Hello Bill

Sorry this has nothing to do with the topic, but this is the only way i know how to contact you.

Do you still have your honda Pilot base plate available?

Thanks
Dax
954-319-7779

After a less than satisfactory call to Winnebago Customer Support I crawled under the dash to look for the OEM module. According to the Front Wiring Diagram for the 39K the module should be under the dash mounted up behind or near the steering column. I was confronted with a solid mass of vent duct hoses and wire looms. I could neither see, nor reach, the horizontal surface the module is supposed to be attached to due to the congestion.

Before I start cutting the wire bundles free and disconnecting the vent ducts I would like to be sure the module is actually up there.

Has anyone actually done this conversion on an '05 Journey 39K? I know some models have the module in the driver side lower storage bay, that is not the case here.

I find it very hard to believe that Winnebago does not have written instructions for their technicians for this, but that is what I have found.

The OEM keyless entry systems in older Winnebago?s are starting to fail and the equipment is no longer being manufactured. Winnebago has identified a replacement system and designed an adaptive harness to facilitate retrofitting the older SCS equipped coaches with the new module made by Tri-Mark. More background on this can be found in other forum threads as well as a recent WIT Magazine article.

Here is how the retrofit played out on my 2005 Journey 39K. I should point out that this coach is NOT equipped with a remote keypad.

The SCS Module on MY coach was P/N 151458-01-000 (earlier coaches may have another part number). To replace THIS module with the Tri-Mark module you will need the following parts: P/N 176367-01-000 Tri-Mark Keyless Entry & Cargo Lock System; P/N 176356-01-000 Wire Assembly Keyless Entry & Cargo Lock; and P/N 063912-02-000 Relay (Two relays are required, but you will reuse the one attached to the original wiring harness).

On the 39K, the SCS module is located forward of the dash beneath the large plastic cowl. When the cowl is removed you will see the module mounted face up in the forward-left portion of the opening. It is held in place by to screws.

Once the two screws are removed you can lift the module free of the dash area. Identify the connectors (2) at the end of the short harness and disconnect the module at those connectors. These connectors are where you will connect the new 176356-01-000 harness.

You can now detach the 063912-02-000 Relay that is a part of the OEM harness.

The two relays are then attached to the new 176356-01-000 harness, and the harness attached to the 176367-01-000 Tri-Mark module.

It is now a simple matter of connecting the harness to the connectors below the original module?s mounting position and routing the harness to suitable mounting position for the module.  Enough harness length is included to allow flexibility in locating the module in various coach models. I just fastened the module to one of the previous module?s attachment points.

This module came with the remote fobs pre-programmed, but to program additional fobs there are a button and LED wired to the module. I left these bundled as shipped, but if you anticipate reprogramming in the future you could route these to a location accessible when the cowl is in place.

At this point I successfully tested the installation and then reinstalled the cowl. Total time, working slowly, was about thirty minutes. The only tool required was a medium Phillips Head screwdriver.

Attachments

• Keylessentry1.jpeg
    Keylessentry1.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
  • KeylessEntry4.jpeg
    KeylessEntry4.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 37
  • KeylessEntry2.jpeg
    KeylessEntry2.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 42
  • KeylessEntry3.jpeg
    KeylessEntry3.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 40
  • KeylessEntry5.jpeg
    KeylessEntry5.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 35
  • KeylessEntry6.jpeg
    KeylessEntry6.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 41
John, the congestion behind and below the dash is incredible. The hardest part of this mod is finding the module. The wiring diagram and tech support said it was under the dash, but it turned out to be quite visible in the upper dash once the cowl was removed. Luckily a 36G owner told be where his was located before I tore the lower area apart.

Well now it's my turn.. I went to replace the battery in my FOB tonight and it never came back to life. I know the receiver is still working since FOB #2 still works. I'll look at mine on a spectrum analyzer to see if it's transmitting, or the Rx just lost the code. But I started looking at replacement remotes, and they are out there. If you match up the FCC ID #, there are several auto OEM FOB's that will work, and a few clones as well.

The FCC servers are down tonight, but I'll look up the details of this FOB when it's back.

Only one of my two fobs is working - I had no idea the FCC ID number was a unique identifier and there are replacements out there, let us know what you find out Jeff.

FCC.gov is still down (go figure), but I found a keyless entry, FOB site that must keep their own database, because I found 2 that match, and they are for a Honda no less......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom