EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Why not a RV CB Channel?  (Read 24945 times)

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
Why not a RV CB Channel?
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »
I did a quick search on the forum and noticed that most agree that CB channel 19 is best for gathering road conditions, etc but of course you have to 'filter' through the language.  I'm also aware that channel 13 is used by Good Sam members and 9 is used as the universal emergency channel.

What seems like a reasonable thought to me is for RVers to have a universal CB channel.  In that way you could contact a passing RV, communicate with fellow RVers in your group while travelling or in a campground, gather and pass information while in a campground such as during storms, etc.  I am curious if I'm the only one who believes that there is nothing to be lost in suggesting such an idea?  What are your thoughts?   ???
Mike & Cindy (with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer and Eddie the Yorkie)
"Until recently" 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Chattanooga, TN

http://highlightofourtwilight.blogspot.com/

"That's nothing to be proud of Rusty.  ......fifty yards."

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Why not a RV CB Channel?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
Mike,

I don't think Channel 13 is exclusive to Good Sam members. I'm sure you can use that channel to communicate with any RVer that happens to be on it. Personally, I don't use the CB anymore since it's too hard for me to understand what is being said. My wife usually does the interpreting. :-)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

TimeToGetGoing

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
Jim,
I didn't quite get that...let me adjust my squelch.

::)
Time To Get Going!

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
Any one can use any channel they choose, it is just that GS chose to all use #13.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »
There is one "Exclusive" CB channel, that is Channel 9, which is reserved for emergency/priority traffic only (Calls for assistance)  The remaining 39 are first come first serve.

Truckers, by tradition (originally by mutual agreement) hang on Channel 19, which makes it the best palce to be if you are on the freeway..

Good Sam claimed 13 for RVers, not just Good Sammers but ll RVers, still kind of dead.

11 is often a "local calling" channel.

But save for Nine, they are all first come first serve.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
There's a lot more trucks than RVs on the road, which is why CB works for truckers.  Dedicated RV channels have been tried in the past, but there just isn't the user base to make a separate RV channel work.

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Okay....I give.  Obviously a 'traditional' RV channel is not meant to be.  But it's all good information and I appreciate the feedback.

I started in CB about 1974ish and ended in HAM (before the days of no code requirement).  I'm not an avid user of either CB or Ham now-a-days but it simply crossed my mind that it would be nice to have a channel that was away from the 'trash of CB' and somewhat likely to have a RV voice on the other end.  Oh well......alls good.   ;D
Chattanooga, TN

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
Pick one, say 21, then start writing letters to all the RV magazines suggesting that people try it.  Put a sign on your RV saying that you monitor 21.  It's the 21st century, it's a BJ winner, and it's legal to buy booze... easy to remember.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Pauls Toy Hauler

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
I have a cb on my truck and use it mostly only when traveling.  I didn't know about the rv channel until now, but I think I'm gonna get on it today and see if I can contact any
fellow RV'ers
2013 F-250 CCSB SRW Lariat 6.7 PSD
2015 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351-THSS

"Just put that Hammer down and give it hell" - Jerry Reed

WhiteEagle

• ---
  • John & Alice
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
Have always had one in vechicles since 1974 but haven't had it on more than 2 or 3 times (in stopped traffic from accidents) for past several years because of the nasty language....Just for the heck of it, I'm going to start monitoring 13 ... why change something Good sam may have started ...
2009 AB 40QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000-2 stage Jake Brake-Michelin 295R80 22.5-Pressure Pro System-Jeep GC Toad-Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking System-10K Genset-AquaHot-4 Panel Solar-SurgeGuard. Northern WI base
Everything's Relative
Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
Have always had one in vechicles since 1974 but haven't had it on more than 2 or 3 times (in stopped traffic from accidents) for past several years because of the nasty language....Just for the heck of it, I'm going to start monitoring 13 ... why change something Good sam may have started ...

I like your idea and I too believe that since Good Sam has started using 13 that it simply makes sense to build upon that base.  I'm all for writing RV magazines, etc and seeing if there can't be a movement in that direction.  I think it would better the entire RV community.  :)
Chattanooga, TN

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
RV caravans, whether commercial or private, often pick one CB channel to communicate with one another.  For example, when we went on the Copper Canyon train (no longer available for caravans) we had one channel on all the time so the wagonmaster could communicate what we were seeing, what to expect ahead, and when we were going to do what.  When a small group of us travel together we do the same thing.  When on the road we tune into Channel 19 if there's a traffic problem and we've also talked with truckers when we've noticed something about their rig that they might want to check.  Although we don't use the CB often, we still like to have it on occasion.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
I listen to 19 most of the time. Have had truckers notify me of hanging wires( toad electric cable disconnected), burned out bulbs, etc.  Also let them know when they've cleared me when passing. If language gets bad, turn down volume, but usually don't have a problem.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »
... Also let them know when they've cleared me when passing. ...

Flashing your headlights does that, since long before CB existed. Don't even have to pick up a mic...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Yellowboat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 12:21:14 AM »
My father bought his first CB radio in the 50's to use in his construction business.  He had CB radios put in all of his work trucks.  Back then there was no one else on the air in Modesto, CA.  They were very large radios with tubes.  If I remember correctly some of the radios were six volts.

Jump forward to 2009.  My wife and I traveled from Washington State to Southern California, turned left and headed for Washington DC.  I have a CB walkie talkie that I tuned to channel 19.  We traveled from Washington State to Southern California and I didn't hear a single call on the CB radio.  It had been awhile since I used a CB and I was used to lots of traffic and skip.  I decided that the CB walkie talkie no longer worked so I purchased another one.  The new one finally picked up a trucker talking to another trucker.  That is when I learned the cell phones had replaced the CB radio.
JD & Kathy
2005 Sightseer 29R on a 2006 F-53 Chassis
2009 Saturn Vue

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:13 AM »
Jump forward to 2009.  ....  It had been awhile since I used a CB and I was used to lots of traffic and skip. 
Skip has been really bad this last five years or so due to the solar cycle being at a very long minimum in the 11 year cycle.

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
I normally monitor 19 while travelling and I hear a lot of chatter most of the time. I installed a small speaker near my left ear next to the seat belt loop so I can monitor without too much concern for "colorful" language being broadcast to the kids. The CB has been a great tool for accident avoidance especially on major routes like I-95. I find out about traffic conditions 20 or 30 miles in advance in most cases and have plenty of time to re-route off the highway and back on after the stoppage.

I didn't know about channel 13 being claimed by GS for RV use, but I will give it a go.

I have wondered for a few years now why RV'rs haven't claimed a channel on FRS. Seems those walkie talkie radios are everywhere and CB's not so much.
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

sundance3200

• ---
  • Camping the STRESS reliever
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »
We placed a sign in the lower left of our rig's back window stating that "Sundance" monitors channel 13.  When getting close to town limits we switch to channel 19 to see if there is any problems. 
2008 Sundance 3200ES
2006 F250
Air Bags, TST tire Pressure and Temp System
Reese 16K with manual slider
Channel 13 when traveling

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
I can't figure out the language.  I don't mean the swearing.  I mean the English (?) dialect they use.  It's like a hillbilly with marbles in his mouth.  If that isn't enough, most truckers seem to have installed amplifiers between their microphone and the radio apparently thinking it will boost their signal, but all it does is distort it.  Then they all try to play like "Convoy" talking about bears, mounties, and handles.

Go figure?
George Drake

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
Sundance, does that sign get you any calls?
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »
Handle = Nickname you prefer to use
Bear = State Police
Mountie = County police

Example:
"You're OK back to the 20, there was a couple of bears in the middle."

Translated:
Road conditions are OK to mile marker 20 where there were a couple State police cars in the median.

HERE is a link to some of the lingo. Sounds weird at first, but it's easy to learn.
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
I am aware of the meanings................... just don't understand the need for the code.   Seems like children playing office or something.
George Drake

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
I can only assume the lingo is a result of spending too much time alone in the cab of a truck driving who knows where and dealing with the hypnotic thumping of the highway multiplied by 5 axles unevenly spaced apart.

...sort of like Chinese water torture but you get an unregulated radio channel to play with. :P

Joe and Carol

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
It's just a form of elitism, wanting to feel special.  Nothing wrong with elitism, usually, we all do it at some time.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

JayT

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
Ned..... good point
We have been RV'ing for 20 years and much tent camping prior to our first RV.
2008 Holiday Rambler Arista 33'
1983 CJ7 Jeep
Amateur radio operator call sign K6RUV
Home is Southern California in the Coachella Valley

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
Channel 13 is the "Good Sam's" Channel.. it is one of two I monitor when driving (19 being the other)

Actually 19 is  best as that is where truckers hang and they keep you advised of happenings. Also I have heard some states broadcasting recorded traffic warnings on 19 even though broadcast on CB channels is not legal (Though I think they may have an "Exception" for traffic warnings)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Clark Griswold

• ---
  • Chattanooga, TN
    • Our RV Travel Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 08:42:05 PM »
Channel 13 is the "Good Sam's" Channel.. it is one of two I monitor when driving (19 being the other)

John, I agree with you.....to a point.  Channgel 13 is used by "Good Samers" but it is not solely dedicated to them exclusively.  In fact, it is generally accepted as the channel for ALL RVers.  ;)
Chattanooga, TN

sundance3200

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
Pieret Yes it has helped us to talk to a couple of other rigs, once we had a cover come off and they notified us, another time someone gave us directions when we were coming into a town.  As far as the Hillbilly thing with the marbles, being a hillbilly born and raised in the mountains of Tennessee I take offense to the statement of hillbillies with marbles in their mouths.  I have lived here for 66 years and have yet to see anyone with marbles in their mouth.  Clark is right with the channel 13 not belonging to Good Sam's they just started using it when CB's were really used. 
2008 Sundance 3200ES
2006 F250

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. (I didn't say anything about hillbillies.)
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

sundance3200

• ---
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
No problem but someone else did, and with the crap on TV portraying southerners the way they do I sometimes get a little put out on how some take us.  Glad I could help on the question.  To the other person I don't talk funny or have an accent maybe it's you. lol
2008 Sundance 3200ES
2006 F250

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
This Ozarks hillbilly does not take offense to the reference to a hillbilly with marbles in his mouth.  I totally understand and agree - or maybe I should say don't understand. ???

As for codes, there is good reason for codes, very similar to the concept of emocons used on this website.  When interpretation of the communication is in question, the codes can mean the difference in life or death - literally - in an emergency communication.  Some codes are even used to make it more difficult for the uninitiated to interpret open radio transmissions so as to help reduce interference (novice ambulance chasers, etc.).  Much of that morfed over into the CB world and then sort of grew like a cancer and as Ned said, has become more a form of elitism than useful voice shortcuts or clarification.  Roger dodger over and out and keep the soft side down and hard side up (or whatever they say). :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
As for codes, there is good reason for codes, very similar to the concept of emocons used on this website.  When interpretation of the communication is in question, the codes can mean the difference in life or death - literally - in an emergency communication. 
My understanding is the emergency services community is moving away from codes because there are so many different code standards out there and agency interoperability becomes a real problem.    A few spoken words might be a lot clearer than, for example, ten thirty eight.
Some codes are even used to make it more difficult for the uninitiated to interpret open radio transmissions so as to help reduce interference (novice ambulance chasers, etc.). 
And of course the ten codes aren't available on the Internet.    :)   

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
And of course the ten codes aren't available on the Internet.    :)   
And the 10 codes were in place long before the Internet.  It's not so much "what is", but "what was".  Interestingly, some agencies (LE in particular) developed their own 10 codes - talk about confusing...
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
And of course the ten codes aren't available on the Internet. 
I'll assume this was sarcasm.
Marc...

1joester2

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »

Joe and Carol

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
I'll assume this was sarcasm.
Yes, you are correct.  Sorry for not being clear.

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
It was clear to me, Tony. :)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »
BTW if folks have read this far the CB radio I suggest is the Cobra 75 ST WX because all you need to be visible is the microphone which contains the channel knobs, etc.  No flat box which needs to be mounted and taking up dash or whatever space.   It can also scan and has weather radio.   You might want to mount a small speaker next to your ear so the volume can be kept lower.

Talk to your local amateur radio club about having it installed.   They'll almost certainly have a few folks who will be happy to install it for a few $$$ and ensure the antenna is in good shape.   At the very least if you do the install yourself have a knowledgeable person check the SWR to ensure you're having a good signal going out of the antenna.   (SWR means energy is being reflected back into your radio when transmitting.   If you have a high SWR then you won't be heard as far and it's possible your radio transmitter could burn out.)

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
I take offense to the statement of hillbillies with marbles in their mouths.  I have lived here for 66 years and have yet to see anyone with marbles in their mouth. 
I'm sorry if you are offended by the term Hillbilly.  The distinct and sometimes difficult to understand dialect for those of color is referred to as ebonics.  Is there a similar term that I should have used?

BTW I didn't say Hillbillies sound like they have marbles in their mouth.  I said truckers attempt to sound like hillbillies with marbles in their mouth.  That may come across as offensive to some truckers.............. I guess I should have said "many truckers".

As for my meaning:  The "trucker's language" appears to be an attempt to sound like someone from the hills of Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. but garbled.  How would you put it?

Please educate me, what would be the accepted term to replace the "H" word?

Anybody else feeling offended?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:47:19 AM by geodrake »
George Drake

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Geeze, George.  Now you're sounding like a politician cornered by a reporter.
U.S. Navy (Ret)

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
Ya, I know.  I wasn't sure if he was truly offended (not my purpose), misunderstood, or itchin for a fight.  I tried to take the low road.
George Drake

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 12:46:34 PM »
BTW - the reason for the "trucker's dialect" is so the speaker can't be positively identified in case a police officer is monitoring the channel.   The driver could give a "smokey report" over the CB in the dialect, then deny it in his natural voice if he was pulled over and questioned about it.

Pauls Toy Hauler

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
It's just a form of elitism, wanting to feel special.  Nothing wrong with elitism, usually, we all do it at some time.

+1

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

parmm

• ---
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
...........Then they all try to play like "Convoy" talking about bears, mounties, and handles.
Heck, we were doing all that stuff long before that convoy movie came out!  They stole it from us!  And the echo boxes and roger beeps came later.  Hate those things.
1994 U225 Foretravel

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Ive played around with CB's since the late 60's.....used it much more back then than now But with that being said, I still have them around. I have two in the MH, one on Channel 13 the other on 19. We just completed an 8000 mile, 6 week trip, I never heard one "Peep" on 13 at all...I even tried calling any RV'er out there? On the other hand, Channel 19 is always hopping when your on the Interstates the truckers use. I hear about this "offensive" language all the time and I have two comments regarding this.....on this trip, I heard (1) instance of any questionable language and taking the "kids" scenario out, I'm old enough to have heard anything any trucker can offer up in regards to language. Many times I find most of the conversations entertaining and Even quite humorous. Now that's not to say there aren't so real Jerks out their either........but that doesn't mean its a truck driver!   

All in all, I wish RV'ers would adopt 13 as a channel and embrace it but it hasn't caught on yet....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Our Girl- Mollie, Cavalier, Humphrie our Mini Schnauzer and Georgie our Wire Haired Weiner dog.  RIP our little Rubie and Sweet Maggie and Cassie

Steve C

• ---
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
And as for the "HillBilly" thang. We prefer to be referred to as Apalashion-Americans.
Near Ft. Walton Beach, Florida (Sometimes)
2011 Four Winds 21c

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
 ;) :D ;D ::)
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
I suspect that RVers might have trouble asking for exclusive use of any channel.

I own a small trucking company and I know, and my drivers know, that at many shippers and consignees locations the businesses use what ever channel that happens to be to their liking. The channels vary all over so any special selected channel may find competition by someone not trying to use it in certain areas. Also, various large trucking companies use different channels for their drivers. Even chanel 19 is not universal for truckers in various areas.

Helomech

• ---
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
Well heck, I'm a newbie here... what better job for a newbie than to dredge up old threads.

I have a CB in my truck. I commute about 4 hrs a day, all on the SoCal freeways, some of which are major trucking routes. This area is sort of polluted by over amplified loud mouths who's only apparent goal in life is to sit in their mommy's basement and stir up trouble on the radio. From what I understand, there is only ONE fcc rep for all of SoCal. If he were to sit out along the 10 near the truckstop, he could pick up 2 or 3 regular idiots.

That being said. If I go places with friends who also have radios, we just turn up the squelch until you don't hear anything. Travelling close to your buddies, when they transmit, they will talk over the squelch. You don't have to listen to the idiots.

Also, out at the land speed races, they anounce the run times, staging groups, etc. over the cb as well as their loud speaker.

Old thread, revisited. You're welcome.  :P

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2012, 12:25:04 AM »
maybe the individual RV'ers are too independent to agree on much of anything, much less agree on a CB channel...  If, even 50% of RV'ers, agreed on Channel 13 or whatever, the convergence would be amazing.  There's almost 2-3 Million RV'ers around which is probably enough to make it work.  Oh well.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

parmm

• ---
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
Well, I'll continue to monitor Channel 19 and 9 because my transceiver has the capability to scan both at the same time, but not 13.  And if you want me you will have to come up to 19 and ask me to come down to 13.  The reason I will continue to stay on 19 is as a retired truck driver,  the accident and other emergency info passed on by other drivers has saved my butt so many times it is hard to count them all.  Just have to put up with some of the childish conscience on that channel.  You have to remember that truck driving is a very boring existance, all by yourself behind the wheel for hours.  You do that day in and day out and you  begin to think that you are the most knowledge and important person around.  Hey, that is lots like the internet!!
1994 U225 Foretravel

Chillbilly

• ---
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »
I agree that RVers should stick together and monitor channel 13, as it is the channel already known and somewhat being used.  I will.  I will also place a sticker on my RV which says I monitor channel 13.  If all RVers did just that, it would be an instant successful launch of RV channel 13.  Whats to loose?  If we want it, we can have it.  We all just have to agree to actively use it.  When all RVers are using channel 13, then it will be as popular as any other channel.  There are plenty of us.  Then all road information will be available, without all the bad language - or most of it.  I also think we should talk just like we talk to each other, without all the code and such.  I think Good Sam should begin to actively support the channel.  Let's do it.  Tell your fellow RVers.  Send email and letters to Good Sam requesting their support and advertisement in their magazines.  Request each park you stay overnight in to post signs advertising the RV CB Channel 13.  And - MONITOR AND USE CHANNEL 13.

VA6LM

• ---
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
On the road 19
Parked camping 13
See yall down da hiways n biways.
Keep da shiny side up n da greassy side down. Beep

Oh yes and you do not need morse code to become an amateur radio operator...
Its way more fun.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:56:07 PM by VA6LM »
Les M
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Ham Radio VA6LM

wincom6

• ---
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 05:17:26 AM »
This has been a good subject.  I have enjoyed the all the opinion's.  As a proud Hillbilly and long time traveler, I agree with George Drake  people should strive to be understood when transmitting on the CB.
U.S. Army Veteran
2008 Providence
2013 Chevy Equinox
Pittsburgh, PA
"Congressional term limits in my lifetime."

Pauls Toy Hauler

• ---
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
I'll be reinstalling my CB into my new truck and will begin to monitor Channel 13 but I also will monitor 19 as usual.  But I like the idea.  especially on those long road trips. 

PaulinBaja

• ---
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 05:30:23 PM »
Channel 9 on CB is special.  If everyone doesn't use it for anything no one is monitoring it.  I suggest we all monitor 9 as usual practice.  If traveling with a group (RVing) maybe use 13.  But there are only a few who would complain if you called your friend on 9, then went to another channel to continue your conversation and returned to 9 when the talk was over.  The FCC does not monitor to verify the emergency is in fact an emergency.   Tieing up 9 would be very inconsiderate, but no one monitoring it is even worse!  I think respectfully using 9 as a calling channel and the others as conversing channels actually supports 9 as emergency far greater than no one listening to 9

Hosted by Over The Network