Why not a RV CB Channel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Handle = Nickname you prefer to use
Bear = State Police
Mountie = County police

Example:
"You're OK back to the 20, there was a couple of bears in the middle."

Translated:
Road conditions are OK to mile marker 20 where there were a couple State police cars in the median.

HERE is a link to some of the lingo. Sounds weird at first, but it's easy to learn.

I am aware of the meanings................... just don't understand the need for the code.  Seems like children playing office or something.

I can only assume the lingo is a result of spending too much time alone in the cab of a truck driving who knows where and dealing with the hypnotic thumping of the highway multiplied by 5 axles unevenly spaced apart.

...sort of like Chinese water torture but you get an unregulated radio channel to play with. :p

It's just a form of elitism, wanting to feel special.  Nothing wrong with elitism, usually, we all do it at some time.

Channel 13 is the "Good Sam's" Channel.. it is one of two I monitor when driving (19 being the other)

Actually 19 is  best as that is where truckers hang and they keep you advised of happenings. Also I have heard some states broadcasting recorded traffic warnings on 19 even though broadcast on CB channels is not legal (Though I think they may have an "Exception" for traffic warnings)

John From Detroit said:
Channel 13 is the "Good Sam's" Channel.. it is one of two I monitor when driving (19 being the other)

John, I agree with you.....to a point.  Channgel 13 is used by "Good Samers" but it is not solely dedicated to them exclusively.  In fact, it is generally accepted as the channel for ALL RVers.  ;)

Pieret Yes it has helped us to talk to a couple of other rigs, once we had a cover come off and they notified us, another time someone gave us directions when we were coming into a town.  As far as the Hillbilly thing with the marbles, being a hillbilly born and raised in the mountains of Tennessee I take offense to the statement of hillbillies with marbles in their mouths.  I have lived here for 66 years and have yet to see anyone with marbles in their mouth.  Clark is right with the channel 13 not belonging to Good Sam's they just started using it when CB's were really used. 

No problem but someone else did, and with the crap on TV portraying southerners the way they do I sometimes get a little put out on how some take us.  Glad I could help on the question.  To the other person I don't talk funny or have an accent maybe it's you. lol

This Ozarks hillbilly does not take offense to the reference to a hillbilly with marbles in his mouth.  I totally understand and agree - or maybe I should say don't understand. ???

As for codes, there is good reason for codes, very similar to the concept of emocons used on this website.  When interpretation of the communication is in question, the codes can mean the difference in life or death - literally - in an emergency communication.  Some codes are even used to make it more difficult for the uninitiated to interpret open radio transmissions so as to help reduce interference (novice ambulance chasers, etc.).  Much of that morfed over into the CB world and then sort of grew like a cancer and as Ned said, has become more a form of elitism than useful voice shortcuts or clarification.  Roger dodger over and out and keep the soft side down and hard side up (or whatever they say). :)

Molaker said:
As for codes, there is good reason for codes, very similar to the concept of emocons used on this website.  When interpretation of the communication is in question, the codes can mean the difference in life or death - literally - in an emergency communication. 
My understanding is the emergency services community is moving away from codes because there are so many different code standards out there and agency interoperability becomes a real problem.    A few spoken words might be a lot clearer than, for example, ten thirty eight.
Molaker said:
Some codes are even used to make it more difficult for the uninitiated to interpret open radio transmissions so as to help reduce interference (novice ambulance chasers, etc.). 
And of course the ten codes aren't available on the Internet.    :)   

Tony_Alberta said:
And of course the ten codes aren't available on the Internet.    :) 
And the 10 codes were in place long before the Internet.  It's not so much "what is", but "what was".  Interestingly, some agencies (LE in particular) developed their own 10 codes - talk about confusing...

BTW if folks have read this far the CB radio I suggest is the Cobra 75 ST WX because all you need to be visible is the microphone which contains the channel knobs, etc.  No flat box which needs to be mounted and taking up dash or whatever space.  It can also scan and has weather radio.  You might want to mount a small speaker next to your ear so the volume can be kept lower.

Talk to your local amateur radio club about having it installed.  They'll almost certainly have a few folks who will be happy to install it for a few $$$ and ensure the antenna is in good shape.  At the very least if you do the install yourself have a knowledgeable person check the SWR to ensure you're having a good signal going out of the antenna.  (SWR means energy is being reflected back into your radio when transmitting.  If you have a high SWR then you won't be heard as far and it's possible your radio transmitter could burn out.)

sundance3200 said:
I take offense to the statement of hillbillies with marbles in their mouths.  I have lived here for 66 years and have yet to see anyone with marbles in their mouth. 
I'm sorry if you are offended by the term Hillbilly.  The distinct and sometimes difficult to understand dialect for those of color is referred to as ebonics.  Is there a similar term that I should have used?

BTW I didn't say Hillbillies sound like they have marbles in their mouth.  I said truckers attempt to sound like hillbillies with marbles in their mouth.  That may come across as offensive to some truckers.............. I guess I should have said "many truckers".

As for my meaning:  The "trucker's language" appears to be an attempt to sound like someone from the hills of Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. but garbled.  How would you put it?

Please educate me, what would be the accepted term to replace the "H" word?

Anybody else feeling offended?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom