I think I blew up my generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

Tonight I checked the oil on my Onan 4000 and then went inside and started it up. It ran for about a minute and died. Then it would not restart, not even make a clicking sound. So I went out and much to my horror I discovered that I had not put the oil cap back on properly and it had blown off and there is oil everywhere. I checked both fuses and they are good. Am I lucky enough that there is a cut off switch that won't allow the engine to start if the oil is low? My plan was to change the oil and filter tomorrow so I have the oil and filter with me. Anyone have any ideas on things I can check once I get all the oil cleaned off?

Change the oil & filter and try it.  There is a low oil cutoff that prevents it from running without oil.  You can clean up your mess once you are satisfied it's not a wasted effort. :)

Thanks for that Molaker. I am definitely going to clean it all up and replace the oil and filter. Ironically the web site that has an owners manual for my gen has been down all day so I can't go there and see what it says about the oil level.

Darn it Tom! hopefully it has an oil pressure cutoff also to kill it due to loss of oil pressure. If it were me I would change oil like planned ,pull spark plugs and turn motor over by jumping starter with screwdriver. If it turns over listen for rattles and clanks and knocks. Turning it over with starter primes pump and fills filter so you don't have a dry start. If all sound good put that darn cap back on and see it she fires up....lots of luck.....better luck!

Yep, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I just got done rebuilding the carb and it was running for the first time in two months. I am wondering what I should use to clean the oil off with. I am going to have to get a new air filter, I am sure it is soaked with oil.

I would try guitar string lube.  That might work, or maybe Brakecleen, or maybe carb cleaner.

My thoughts.

Paul

If it only ran for a minute I would bet the safety is why it stopped so you should be good. Change the oil TIGHTEN the cap start it if it runs shut it off then CLEAN all the oil off LESSON LEARNED.

If the generator didn't even click when you tried to start it, you probably got oil in the contacts of one or more relays and/or connectors in the starting circuit and it's preventing current flow to the starter.

You would have heard a "clunk" if the starter tried to engage against a locked engine.

WD-40 does a good job of cutting through heavy oil, then use brake cleaner or equivalent to get the WD-40 off.

That's kinda what I was hoping Lou. No thunk at all, no click no nothing. I don't think the oil could get onto contacts since I think they would be inside the electrical box located on the outside. But if it won't start after changing the oil I will have to take the box apart.

Not sure about your unit Tom but most industrial units cut fuel when they lose oil psi. You can crank them but they won't start. In my Rv it has a fault code that displays which cutout is shutting the genset down and will not let it crank over until it is cleared. Under normal conditions the oil psi switch usually has a time delay to allow the engine to crank, start and then build oil pressure so I'm not sure why yours would not crank over after the shutdown. You might see if you have a reset somewhere that has to be reset manually to allow you to crank the engine over again. Or, it could work like a dry pipe sensor and will reset itself once you have oil in the crankcase at the proper level again.
I would first pull the stick to see if there is any oil level as they only hold a couple quarts to begin with. Then pull the drain plug and see what you get out and troubleshoot from there.
Be careful if you use brake cleaner or the likes in an enclosed space. It works great but It is flammable and not good for breathing. Just clean what is on the exhaust & manifold before you start (to prevent the smoking) and wipe down what you can. Let it sit long enough to air out where you cannot smell any fumes before starting. Let us know what you find, good luck.

Wipe as much of the oil off as you can with dry rags, then finish it off with rags soaked lightly in mineral spirits. Brake cleaner will cause the oil to run into places you can't clean without disassembly.

Tom, Onans will turn over with low oil, but will not start. If it will not turn over after cleaning up and replacing oil, you can use a standard automotive remote starter switch across the "s" terminal and the Bat. terminal of the starter solenoid to crank and start the generator. (to confirm that the engine is not locked up) This bypasses the circuit board. The solenoid should be located inside the main control box where the start switch lives....looks just like a Ford solenoid. (I'm guessing this might be an Onan Emerald)

oh I can't wait to see the follow up on your misadventure. I can see myself doing that too.  My fingers are crossed for you, hope it worked out.

Oil/petroleum clean up trick by way of my wrenchiest, most gearhead buddy; dishsoap. Ivory style. Whatever you have near your sink. Stuff is made to cut grease and is relatively gentle.

I would (I'm sure you did) start with the paper towel method for two quarts of a disaster of this magnitude.

Best!!! 

seilerbird said:
Yep, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I just got done rebuilding the carb and it was running for the first time in two months. I am wondering what I should use to clean the oil off with. I am going to have to get a new air filter, I am sure it is soaked with oil.

Buy a product called "Gunk".  It comes in a spray can (wal mart or auto parts place).  You have a choice of "foaming" or not foaming.  I use the non-foaming as it makes much less of a mess.  Cuts the oil and then you can hose it off (gently) with water.

AndyinLexington said:
Buy a product called "Gunk".  It comes in a spray can (wal mart or auto parts place).  You have a choice of "foaming" or not foaming.  I use the non-foaming as it makes much less of a mess.  Cuts the oil and then you can hose it off (gently) with water.
Thanks for the advise. I am at the Grand Canyon and there is no Walmart for 75 miles. I am wondering about the wisdom of turning a hose on my generator. Is this a good idea or would it be not advisable due to getting water on the electronics?

All of the electronics should be inside the control box....circuit board and regulator are the only electronics. There are generator vents where the brushes are, and there could be additional ones toward the front...don't remember. So if you are careful to keep water away from those areas you would probably be okay. Given your location, I think Anemic's advise about dish soap is probably a good one. I know Dawn cuts grease really well......and leaves your hands soft..."you're soaking in it" ;D

I do have plenty of Dawn and a spray bottle. I will try that and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips.

Conquest aka Robert said:
Have you tried again to start it ?
Not since it stopped. There is oil literally everywhere including the exhaust and the air filter. I am waiting to read the responses from the kind folks here on the forum before I process. I want to do it right and I look forward to opinions on just how I process.

I feel like the dumbest clown in the whole world because I couldn't put an oil filter cap on properly. And there are not a wave of people coming in here saying the same thing happened to them. :-[ :-[ :-[

Back
Top Bottom