I think I blew up my generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
Tom, are you having fun yet??

That will be an expensive fuse going to Kingsman and back. What if that doesn't fix it?? :(

I would not hesitate to temporarily use a 10 amp fuse to see if the engine will start. If there is a major short somewhere that fuse will blow.  I think  ;) ;)

carson FL
I am not going to Kingman to buy a fuse. I will be passing through there on my way to Las Vegas and it is the first town I will be in that will have fuses for sale. I don't expect the fuse to fix it, I just need the fuse so I can keep on trouble shooting.

Tom,

Check the office in the RV  parks and see if they have the fuses.  They are a common item and lots of weird places stock them, pharmacies, camera stores, etc.

You know, fuses are a problem.  How do you know you have spares for every possible fuse in the RV and the chassis/truck?  Or do you just buy a mix and match set of each conceivable variety and size?

I have a few dozen, but there is really no way you can have them all with you. Everyone has fuses on their rig they have never seen before and couldn't find with a map.

When we go to Quartzsite, one of the things we look for is any fuses we don't have.  We've found some really hard-to-find ones there, especially the low amp ones.  With fuses in so many things on an RV, you can't have too many or too big a choice.  I try to have one of every number in both the blade and buss/glass types.  The nice thing about fuses is they don't take up much space, unlike some other things we want to carry.  ::)

ArdraF

One of the first things I always did when I got a new vehicle or trailer is to survey the fuses and go get a few of each size.  "Murphy's Law" always applies, you will need a fuse when there are none to be had.  I have a zip lock bag full of fuses a dozen of each size for the 5er in the 5er and the same for the truck and our car.

Tom, I carry several jumper wires with alligator clips on each end. With a couple fuses you have all you need to trouble shoot circuits even though you may not have the correct fuse you may have one close in amps. On my boat this has got me home more than once. I hope the gen fires up for you.

I carry a small box like most others, it has about every half empty fuse kit I have ever purchased. Must be 50 in there and still I find one I don't have. I finally started carrying one of the accessory fuse holders that radio shack sells for installing radios. etc, a 30a version. I can put whatever size fuse in I need to match the circuit and get me going until I can get a correct replacement.
Glad to hear you are making progress on the gen set, should be making noise again real soon.

Sorry I'm not contributing anything Tom, but I remember the days when I would wrap a fuse with the tin foil wrapper from a cigarette pack, crank up and go party.

catblaster said:
Sorry I'm not contributing anything Tom, but I remember the days when I would wrap a fuse with the tin foil wrapper from a cigarette pack, crank up and go party.
I think we are glad you survived and are not suggesting it now... ;)

catblaster said:

Been there, done that...

I finally found a 5 amp fuse, installed it and it started up and ran. Now all I have to do is clean up the outside a bit and I am good to go.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me find my way out of this mess. This forum is wonderful.

I finally got to a place where I could run the gen for a while. I started it up and ran in for about a half an hour. It ran rough to begin with and the exhaust pipe smoked a bit but that calmed down after about ten minutes. I adjusted the idle to 118-119 volts without a load and then ran the A/C. It was reading 112-113 with the A/C running. When I shut it down I checked the oil level and it was full. Then I put the cap back on VERY CAREFULLY and restarted it just to make sure. Looks like I am back online.

seilerbird said:
I finally got to a place where I could run the gen for a while. I started it up and ran in for about a half an hour. It ran rough to begin with and the exhaust pipe smoked a bit but that calmed down after about ten minutes. I adjusted the idle to 118-119 volts without a load and then ran the A/C. It was reading 112-113 with the A/C running. When I shut it down I checked the oil level and it was full. Then I put the cap back on VERY CAREFULLY and restarted it just to make sure. Looks like I am back online.
When you make the adjustment for voltage, where are you measuring? Is it at the genny outlet or one of the ones inside of the coach?
J

Back
Top Bottom