Wet undercarriage of travel trailer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfegang

I have a 21 ft Starcraft Travelstar.  I just purchased this past fall.  I noticed that the bottom underside of the trailer near the front seemed to be wet.  Upon closer inspection, it is.  I tracked down what I believe to be the source.  There is a grey/silver tarp like fabric covering the wood bottom of the trailer.  At the front edge, it has torn and come loose right along the seam with the front surface of the trailer.  Water must run down the front face and go right between the grey stuff and the wood bottom. 
Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on how to "reseal' that front edge would be appreciated.

You can purchase that tarp like stuff through many RV supply places. It comes in rolls  and in many widths. Failing that, I would  remove any trim holding that edge in place and use some wide tape such as Eternabond and put it under the trim on the sidewall, over the corner and onto the tarp material. It might be a good idea to use some wood hardener on the exposed edges one it has had a chance to dry thoroughly. Replace the trim piece. Be sure to let the wood fully dry out  before resealing.

Many thanks Alfa38User. 
Do you think some Tyvek would be better to use on the bottom?  The tarp stuff does not seem to let any moisture out.
I live in Ohio and it seems like we have only had 3 dry days since the snow melted.  I've been trying to dry the wood out for a couple of weeks now.  Some day it will be sunny.
Thanks again.

No, I don't think Tyvec would hold up well enough. JMHO .  I think you are correct about moisture retention although you can actually see light through the stuff when held up to the sun. You might have to help it to dry out (once the rain stops!!) by directing the output of  a small electric (heater) fan on the area for a while.

Wolfgang, what did you finally do to fix your TT?  I have a similar problem from the previous owner shredding a tire and ripping the fabric.

Wolfgang has not been seen here since his 2 initial posts in 2011. You would likely be better off posting your particular problem as a new topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom