great west b - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eurosteve

My wife spotted a Great West 2000 Classic Supreme class b for sale on the side of the road. It has 42,000 miles. Looks pristine - no rust,  like new inside, no flaws in paint job. The selling guy is a retired engineer, second owner.  Says everything works, although unable to demonstrate most systems.  Says it's still winterized. Generator wouldn't start because gasoline level was below 1/4 full.  It's built on a Dodge ram 3500 chassis with a 360 engine. Says he gets 11 mpg. Test drove well.  Steering was very sloppy compared to my small toyota sedan.  Wants $22,000 for it, which looks like around $4,000 above book value.  If I go ahead with this my local mega-RV mall will check it out for $200.  I'm undecided because it's 12 years old, but I see good things about Great West and it's in amazing condition.  I'm new to buying RVs.  Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions about this purchase?

Do you plan on living in it full time or only doing a few weekend trips with it? It will be very small if you are going to do more than just a few weekend trips. Class Bs are nice because you can drive them like a car and go anywhere and they usually get good gas mileage. However, they have VERY limited storage space and the holding tanks are very small, meaning you will be visiting dump stations frequently unless you only plan on staying in RV parks.

You are wrong about the book value. It has a low of $12k and a high of $15k.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2000/GREAT-WEST-VANS/CLASSIC-SUPREME-19/Standard-Equipment

Most people read NADA wrong. They conveniently miss this disclaimer:

Option note: Only select options below that are in addition to standard equipment and equipment noted in the manufacturer or year notes show above. If you are uncertain of what came standard, please contact your manufacturer with your VIN.

And then they add in all the standard equipment and call them options. If the guy added a satellite dish then that is an option. The roof mounted A/C would be standard. Standard equipment is anything that came with it when it was new.

I think you should check out some class As. Class Bs all seem overpriced to me. You can do much better with an A. Here is an example of what you can get for under $20k in a used Class A:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-Itasca-SUNCRUISER-35WQ-1-Slide-Near-New-Tires-/220804191037?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item3368f4933d

I am not recommending this unit in particular, I am just showing you what you can get in your price range. You might not want a 36 footer, but there are plenty in the 25 to 30 foot range. But whatever you get don't rush into and do have the local Mega RV mall check it out for $200. A very smart move.

Tom -  thanks for your thoughts on this.  I agree that $22k is too much.  NADA let me add on $1350 for the low mileage.  And it really looks like new, so that's worth something, but it's still over-priced. Thanks for the advice on standard vs optional equipment. At this time we're looking for something for weekend trips or maybe a couple of weeks. Not looking for something too big.  We did own a Eurovan camper for a few years but didn't like the lack of shower and A/C. The size was okay. 

We're located in upstate New York.

Are you thinking that the age isn't a big issue?  Any comments on the Dodge platform or engine?

Thanks
Steve

You will find that class Bs in good condition are priced over NADA average retail by 2 - 10K and they are getting it.  Supply and demand. 
Winter is over, if the person does not want to add add gas or de-winterize it they may be hiding some problems that may be costly to repair.
Check out all things or forget it.

If the guy wants to sell it he should de-winterize it and show what is AND WHAT IS NOT working.  A vs C vs B vs 5th
wheel vs trailer vs pickup camper is all personal choice.  I think you should assume vehicle that is over 10 years old and especially an RV
with all its "stuff" will require continual mechanical work.  If you do it yourself (or at least most of it) then maybe $15k-
$20K is cheap but on the other hand if you must pay for all maintenance and repairs $15k-$20k would just be the beginning.

We love our 'B' and have no real space issues.  It meets our needs and wants.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm also thinking that at 11 or 12 years old things will need maintenance.  We may be moving to Europe within the next year (working for the army as civilians) so that further muddies the water.  I think gas is around $8 per gallon in the UK.  At 11 mpg, we'd have some expensive trips.  So right now we're leaning away from this purchase. 

hi i live in england and just bought a great west classic  weeks ago . you are right petrol is v expensive here i paying about ?1,35 a litre!!!! But the van i bought has a lpg conversion so i payin 70p a litre to run it on that. The van i bought is fine good fit and finish and the  5,2 ltr dodge engine plenty of power! good luck

Hi, I'm also contemplating a great west van, classic supreme, it already has a lpg conversion, can anyone tell me about reliability of these vans? Also is it comfortable to spend a couple of weeks in it? At 19' its not very big

For that type of money I would insist on a full tank of gas and LP.  And de winterize it so everything can be tested.    If he not willing. Its a deal killer or major money need to come off.  As it is he's selling in the dead of winter.  5000 off the top expecilay if you have cash

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom