2 bathrooms - opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoemorn

As we look at 5ers, we see that some models have more than one bath, usually 1 1/2. At first I thought this would be great! But I was assuming they both plumbed to the same blackwater tank, but I think I read something implying that this isn't the case.

Who can shed light on this, and whats your opinions about more than one bath in an RV.  (I am coming from the idea of Fulltiming)

thanks

Is it just you and your wife? Can you share a bathroom or do you need the extra half bath? Would you rather have something else in the space that half-bath would take up (like storage)? We do fine with just the one bathroom. Of course, we're used only having one bathroom since there's only one in the house.

Wendy

We're a family of four, and are used to the two  bathrooms, in fact my wife and have always had  two bathrooms and we're definitely spoiled by it.

I'm sure we could make due with one, just wondering about how those who have them like them or would just soon not.

You definitely need the extra toilet, I know I hate when I am reading on my throne, it really stinks (no pun intended) to have to hurry up and share the throne!

Within the limited space of an RV, I wouldn't want to waste any of it with a second bathroom. With only my wife and me, we can afford to wait.

mrschwarz said:
Within the limited space of an RV, I wouldn't want to waste any of it with a second bathroom. With only my wife and me, we can afford to wait.

I agree with this post BUT there have been those  times when  I really NEEDED a second toilet. I'd say if the RV of your dreams comes with a 2nd "bath" go for it  but I would not base my decision on it. It has been my observation that 2nd  baths come with much longer rigs.  However  maybe with a family of 4 you will have this as a priority.  Living in an RV comes with many compromises from your  regular stick home.  You will adjust to the ways of what you have, and still have a good time. 
Just think with one toilet , only one to clean.
Betty

We really appreciate the 2 full bathrooms on our boat. If it's just the two of us aboard, we don't need to queue to use the head (toilet) or the shower. We also appreciate it when we have guests aboard. If, as occasionally happens, one head clogs, then we're really glad we have two. When you gotta go, you gotta go!

However, we rarely have guests aboard our coach, although that's changing with grandkids who want to come along.
Edit: Fixed typo.

mrschwarz said:

Depends on what prescriptions you are on ;) ;)

Well, someone on the Forum, sorry I forget who, has set up the half bath as his Ham shack. No loss of space there. But I'd tend to side with the don't-waste-the-space crowd.

I would not want to base my purchase decision on what others like/dislike about a floor plan. If two bathrooms are important to your lifestyle, by all means get two baths.

Just remember that anything you get in an RV means you are giving up something else. Even a 45 foot coach with 4 slides has only so much floor space - less than 400 sq ft. Even just an extra toilet room requires a minimum of 15 sq ft and a typical half bath is closer to 25 sq ft.

[quote author=Pierat]...someone ... set up the half bath as his Ham shack.[/quote]

I suspect that was John From Detroit.

Isn't it funny how times change and needs change? I grew up in a house with one bathroom. Two adults and two teenage girls and somehow we all managed to survive. No one in our middle-class neighborhood had 2 bathrooms.  Now everyone wants 2 bathrooms for 2 people in their houses.

Shoot, there are probably some really really old folks here that grew up without a bathroom.  Right Ned?

Aye, you're right Wendy. Remind me to tell you a few campfire stories of visits to older relatives in the old country.

George, not me, we were civilized, but ask Lorna about her "bath with path".

We had only one toilet, but it was a three holer. Very convenient.  :)  Well, walking through the snow, in the winter, was not so convenient.  :-\

(circa 1945, Ozarks)  ::)

Like Ray D, we had no "bathroom" when growing up.  We did have a toilet - as do most campgrounds, which serves us well enough if both need to "go" at the same time.  About a 2nd bathrrom in our MH, my DW would probably say, "Just something else to keep clean." :mad:  After all, she's retired, too. :)

Ray, I didn't Minda the snow near as much as the heavy rains, or when the Sears Catalog ran out of the whole pages, and you had to use the partial ones. (We were the poor folks, ours was only a two hole model.)

Getting back to Zoemorn's original question, if you're fulltiming there are many things you need to carry that are not needed by part-time RVers.  Every inch of storage space becomes important.  With kids, for example, they will need space for toys, schoolwork, etc.  You and your wife might need space for work or hobby "stuff" and there is paperwork to store (think income taxes and bill paying).  If you really need the second bathroom, that's fine, but the tradeoff will be a significant lesser amount of storage.  We're not fulltimers but we often go off for several months at time.  When we ordered our motorhome, the original floorplan had two bathroom sinks.  We opted to ditch the second sink for a more traditional split-bath layout and LOTS more storage.  We think we made a good choice and it suits us.  When looking at RVs for fulltimers, I suspect storage is often a primary concern, ranking right up there with a decent galley.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom