Canadian Auxiliary Brake Regulations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Attached is a txt file describing the regulations for  auxiliary brakes for towed vehicles for each Canadian Province.

Attachments

• Brakes.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 637
If you have auxiliary brakes already, I would think you are covered everywhere.  Each province has different minimum requirements for brakes, but after a certain weight, they all do require it.  So if you got them, I'd say you are covered.  With maybe the exception to BC, they seem to have a lot of fine print.

Marsha,

I am not aware of any changes since this item was posted in 2005.  The BC regulations are the most stringent in Canada, so if you comply there, you comply everywhere to my knowledge.

Try this site for info on Canadian & US towing regulations,            www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws

Steve said:
Attached is a txt file describing the regulations for  auxiliary brakes for towed vehicles for each Canadian Province.

BC is the most stringent and says:
? Motorhome and Towed Motor Vehicle ? If the towed motor vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of less than 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs) and is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of the motorhome, brakes and co-ordinated brake control are not required.

Am I reading this correctly?  a toad up to 4400 lb can be towed by a class A MH as long as the MH GVWR is more than 11,000 lb?

taoshum said:
...If the towed motor vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of less than 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs) and is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of the motorhome, brakes and co-ordinated brake control are not required.

my understanding is;
condition 1 = the towed motor vehicle must have a gross vehicle weight of less than 2,000 kg / 4,400 lbs
AND
condition 2 = the towed motor vehicle gross vehicle weight must be less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of the motorhome (this is in case you have a very small motorhome)

if you meet BOTH conditions, then  brakes and coordinated brake control are not required

regards, peter
(and yes, we are living in bc)

Regardless of what the law says be safe get an auxiliary breaking system of some sort. Think of it this way Just suppose you are towing and can't stop and cause a wreck. The insurance company checks and you towed vehicle is over what they consider the the legal weight. At least if you have a brake system you will feel better about it.  Also maybe the insurance company denies coverage and there were injuries.  BE SAFE AS YOU CAN

Mark >>>> as you probably know BC has a lot of BIG mountains,lots of coastline and lots of fine print. ;) ;D :)

Riotravelers said:
Regardless of what the law says be safe get an auxiliary breaking system of some sort. Think of it this way Just suppose you are towing and can't stop and cause a wreck. The insurance company checks and you towed vehicle is over what they consider the the legal weight. At least if you have a brake system you will feel better about it.  Also maybe the insurance company denies coverage and there were injuries.  BE SAFE AS YOU CAN

Just make sure you know the most likely failure modes of the auxiliary brake system and what to do if it fails...surely the company who sells the auxiliary brake system knows this information...

I wouldn't tow the mountains in BC without brakes on the Toad. You may be within the law but if you get in an accident there could be law suits and due diligence will come into question, and you better be well under the weight requirements and don't put your golf clubs or anything in the toad.

Think about your own safety for the sake of a few bucks. Look at the investment you've made in the MH and the Toad and compare that to the cost of the braking system, peanuts.

Check with your own insurance company as well, there may be a clause in your insurance.

My thoughts anyway.

Hi all, back after a few years absence

My Brake Buddy just imploded, and I'm reconsidering the whole thing before buying again. My GVWR for the Winnebago Adventurer (gas-powered) is 20,500 lbs and the toad is a Jeep Cherokee, curb wt 3600lb, so I'm nowhere near the 25% mark.

But my personal horror is barrelling down the 1-95 in traffic at between 60 and 65mph and being called upon to stop. Slowing down is easy enough but a full panic stop is something else again. I have no illusions that the front of the Winnebago will protect us much in a pile-up although having the engine up there in front is some comfort. No airbags, though.

Brake Buddy has a good deal on. Send them your tired and broken Buddy and they will send you a new one for $495, tax free and free shipping (one way).  Seems like a good plan.

Rankjo

Back
Top Bottom