1998 Chevrolet Tahoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith from NS

Hi guys,
I am looking for a tow vehicle for a new Jayco 27' trailer. The trailer weight is 7500 lbs.  I am looking at a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe.  It has a 5.7L Vortec Engine and 3.42:1 rear axle ratio.  Sources indicate that it has a 6000 lb towing capacity.  I am getting this information from the internet.  The truck also has a factory installed tow package too.  I am wondering if there were any alterations that I might make or add to bring the tow rating closer?  We will not be doing a lot of travelling with it, for most of the summer it stays in one park.  I can get this truck for a good deal, and would like to think it might do the job.  Thanks!

Keith from NS said:
Hi guys,
I am looking for a tow vehicle for a new Jayco 27' trailer. The trailer weight is 7500 lbs.? I am looking at a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe.? It has a 5.7L Vortec Engine and 3.42:1 rear axle ratio.? Sources indicate that it has a 6000 lb towing capacity.? I am getting this information from the internet.? The truck also has a factory installed tow package too.? I am wondering if there were any alterations that I might make or add to bring the tow rating closer?? We will not be doing a lot of travelling with it, for most of the summer it stays in one park.? I can get this truck for a good deal, and would like to think it might do the job.? Thanks!

Your trailer outweighs the truck towing capacity by some 1500 lbs using the figures you have furnished.? The trailer weight, I would guess is the unloaded, dry weight.? 40 gallons of water alone will add 320 lbs to that number.? ?You going to add food, clothing, cooking gear and toys?? ? To top it off the Tahoe is 8 years old.? ?Trucks wear out -- they? loose compression, springs weaken, and transmissions wear.? ?

The short answer is no -- the Tahoe is not enough truck to pull your trailer.? In fact I would say that it is dangerously inadequate since brakes figure in the tow rating equation.

The are no alteration that could be made.

Look again.? Go for a truck that has a rating of the laden weight of your trailer plus 10%.? ?If you ever plan to tow in the Rocky Mountain or Pacific Coast west, make that plus 20%.

You can find truck tow ratings listed in the Trailer Life's web site at www.trailerlife.com in the Tech section.

1998 Tahoes with the equipment you describe had towing capacities of either 6000 or 6500 lbs, depending on minor options. Neither one is even close to handling the trailer you are considering.  If the 7500 lbs is dry weight, you aren't even in the ball park. If it is the trailer's GVWR (max loaded weight), you are still going to be over weight with even a minimum load onboard.  And no, there is nothing you can do to materially affect the towing capacity.

Sorry - towing the Jayco with that Tahoe is just plain unsafe - so DON'T DO IT! Look for a more capable truck or a smaller trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom