Best and Worst Travel Trailer Manufacturers??? And a few other newbie Q's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhataBass

Hey Folks!

My wife and I are looking to purchase a slightly used travel trailer and bounce around lake and ocean RV parks down here in TX. We have room to store it at home when not parked at an RV park (winter time most likely).

We have an 04 F150 FX4 that I would pull it with. Looks like I can get a decent rig under 15K or so on rvtrader.com...

What is the biggest I can pull with my truck and what brands and models should I look for and which should I run from?? We have one new born son right now and will possibly have another child in the next couple years...

We know we do not want carpeting, we do like to cook, shower and bathroom functions a must!

Thanks for any guidance, feel free to move to TT section if needed!

You don't give us very much info to work with ie engine size, rear axle ratio, auto or stick, is cab single or crew, full or short box, whether you'll do any mountain roads or mainly flat etc. Fill us in and you'll get lots of help, Gerry

I'm certainly not a fantastic source since I'm more of the Class A type.  However, before purchasing our second Class A MH we looked at going the 5er route.  At that time I owned a Dodge 4x4 1500 with 5.9L / 360.  What I found at that time was that there were some 5ers I could pull.  But, be very cautious and do your research on your specific load ratings!  As was stated in the other post.....engine, rear end ratio, transmission, etc play a big part in what you can and can not do.  Do your research up front!  8)

Sorry bout that. The 04 Ford F150 FX4 has the 5.4L V8, 3.73LS rear end and has tow package. I am liking the trailers around 30' with open floor plans.

WhataBass said:
Sorry bout that. The 04 Ford F150 FX4 has the 5.4L V8, 3.73LS rear end and has tow package. I am liking the trailers around 30' with open floor plans.

We will also need:  1. Regular or supercab;  2. Short or long wheelbase?  3.  Do you plan to tow in the 11 western states? 

It is the short wheel base crew cab. And I will be staying in south and central TX in the area lakes and ocean fronts.

K Great, Thanks.

I know my truck can pull a 30' travel trailer...

I am liking the RLS models in the Keystone and Forest River brands around 30' long... I like the rear living area with the table and chair set up for the dining area with the bedroom on other end...

Any pros and cons to this model? I see a mix of carpet and sticky tile... I would like to put down a laminate if I find a good used one...

Thanks again!

WhataBass said:

I know my truck can pull a 30' travel trailer...

I wouldn't count on pulling a 30 footer with that truck unless it is a light weight trailer.  Even with lightweight trailers, you are going to be near of over the trucks maximum capability.

Lowell said:
I wouldn't count on pulling a 30 footer with that truck unless it is a light weight trailer.  Even with lightweight trailers, you are going to be near of over the trucks maximum capability.

I too have that concern and I'd suggest strongly that you check out Gary's link!  ;)

That truck wouldn't pull the 30 foot trailer I once owned, but it was indeed a heavy one. About 11,000 lbs loaded.

I would guestimate this truck at 7500-8500 lbs max towing, and payload is probably going to restrict that to a travel trailer rather than a fifth wheel.

I feel like I'm a broken record but manufacturer rating are nearly bogus.

In order to know how much weight you can tow, you need to know the GVWR, GCWR, axle ratings, tire ratings and actual weight of the tow vehicle when it is loaded up and ready for a trip.

I'll use my truck as an example.

2002 Ford F-350 crew cab, 4x4, long bed, diesel. 

GCWR - 20,000 lbs
GVWR - 9,900 lbs
RAWR - 6,084 lbs
Vehicle weight - 8,400 lbs

I have 1,500 lbs of capacity left in the truck itself and 11,600 lbs of towing capacity before I go over my GCWR. 

My 29ft trailer has a GVWR of 7,400 lbs and I am very close to that when we go camping.  I also get a tongue weight of about 800 lbs when I'm hooked up.

WhataBass said:
According to the site I can tow 8700 max wt.

http://keystone-xlite.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=east&model=27RLS

The above trailer should come in just at 8000 with full carry capacity... Not sure if that includes water or not...

I am not looking for a 5th wheel but will limit my search to 30' max but try to stay around 28'

Thanks!

Length is of little importance in determining what you should tow.  The tow rating of your truck vs the weight of your trailer is the most important factor.

That 8700 lb tow rating is based on the truck with only a 154-lb driver and full fluids (fuel, coolant, etc.).  The weight of passengers, truck cargo, and hitch components needs to be accounted for.  Around here we use 10% as a rule of thumb to discount the ratings in the table.  That would bring your tow rating down to 7830 lbs.

Now we need to compare that to the weight of the trailer.  The truest trailer weight would be the scaled weight of the trailer will all your gear, water, and foodstuffs on board and dealer options like awnings, extra batteries, and such .    But unless you own the trailer, it is going to be a difficult number to arrive at.  Therefore, we use the trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating supplied by the maker. (GVWR = unladen weight + cargo carrying capacity).  The unit you cited has a GVWRof 8000 lbs.

Your truck should be able to tow that trailer. 

However, that is based on your estimate that your towing will be done around, "... the lake and ocean RV parks down here in TX."  If you were to try on New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado  one day, you would find that the altitudes and long, steep grades out in the far west would over-strain your truck.  Out there we recommend discounting that 7830-lb mfr tow rating by 20%.  There your towing rating would be down to 6960 lbs and any trailer should have a GVWR of less than 7000 lbs.  There the trailer you cited would be too heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom