Air Conditioner Dripping Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I'm just falling apart here, both mind, body and motorhome faster than I can put it all back together again!

Just 15 minutes ago, my Air Conditioner just started dripping water inside the motorhome. It has never done this before. I just had it repaired a few weeks ago, over 80 miles away.

I switched it from A/C to fan, but it's still dripping and the temperature is rising rapidly without the compressor on.

Any ideas where to start? 

The roof seal might be leaking.  Remove the bottom of the housing inside and check the four bolts holding the AC to the roof.  They may be loose.  Check the roof and see if you have puddling around the AC unit.

If you take the inside trim off, can you see any ice build-up in there??? If so, that might be the problem.

My front a/c did the same thing.  I removed the inside cover and air inlet to check out where it was coming from and it was leaking from the inside not from the outside.  it was condensation building up on the metal part of the a/c on the inside.  There was so much humidity that this was the cause.  I bought some thin foam insulation and glued it to the metal part like the inside of the plenum inside a house and it stopped.  Just my two cents worth.

Had the same problem and it turned out to be that the drain tube was clogged.  The unit needs to be able to dump water and have it run down the roof.  If the tube is clogged, it backs up and runs down inside the rig.  Easy fix (clean out the debris accumulated) and you can tell if this is the problem by looking to see if it is draining down over the roof now.

We've had both types of leaks. If the drain is clogged, it either runs into the RV or runs off the roof over the side. The condensation issue that we had recently, was caused by failure in the insulation that separated the intake and output portions of the unit. When the tech removed the cover (on the ceiling) he installed insulation and tape to separate the two sides, and all was well again. Apparently, when the two aren't separated, it causes a lot more condensation and it forms on the underside of the unit.

Two thoughts: (Well three) First, the folks up thread have good ideas.. To this list add:

Is the RV level?  (If it's front down the A/C's may drip indoors, Mine does)

And go topside, Leaves and other "Crud" can build up in the troth the water flows through on it's way to the roof... And when it plugs the path.. What you get is what you got.  Solution: routine maintenance (Cleaning of condensor coils (While you are up there) and water tray)

Mine is starting to condensate inside  a little so I went on roof and took top plastic panel and could not see anything wet so not sure, where the problem lies?

Too bad I'm in Townsend not fairplay or I could help more.

I overlooked a few thigns in last post.

I have on occasion, had a dripping issue with mine, three causes.  I covered one above but if you found NOTHING wet inside the top cover,, Likely not it.

The second, also not likely, is this.. When the warm air intake filter gets dirty the blower creates a vacuum in front of (And behind for that matter) the evaporator (cold) coils,, this can suck water out of the drip tray and allow it to drip down inside via the INTAKE grill on the ceiling.

Mine is a Ducted install.

If the humidity and temp are high enough,, Water will condense out of the air in the motor home on the OUTLETS and cause dripping. ... Happened last week in fact.. Just one outlet got that cold (Half Bath) so it drips onto a towel or sink.

Back
Top Bottom