I'm glad that I checked my manifold leak...old 454

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGiacomo

I parked next to a truck at a light the other day and heard the tick tick "manifold leak" when I took off, it sounded a little louder than I've noticed in the past.......i have never actually checked the exhaust manifolds closely for leaks....I have always just presumed what i was hearing was either the manifolds of the donut gaskets........so i wasn't very worried.....

I got down under and gave it a good look and found that everything was tight and in place, but the exhaust pipe just under the flange was cracked almost the whole way around.......it is a good thing i decided to look........i don't think it would have lasted another bumpy dirt road.. ;)

I think maybe the pipes were set up a little to tight and it wasn't getting enough room to move.. :-\....

I'm going to go ahead and weld it and put it back together, [that is after i get the damn flange bolt out that i twisted off :mad:] [i guess one out of three isn't bad ;)].............if i get the system put back together so that it has a little movement, it should last another 25 years ;D...........

i thought maybe i would tell about this little problem, in case some other oldy owners are hearing the tick tick and think it's just the donuts  ...... ;D 

Back
Top Bottom