2005 Journey 34H Entry Door Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

We have a new to us 2005 Winnebago Journey 34H.  The entry door at the front doesn't seem to have any kind of a latch or hinge to hold it open?  It seems odd to me that if you want to leave the screen door closed and the entry door open to enjoy the fresh air, the entry door just flaps around in the wind?  Is my unit missing something or is this just a design flaw?  Any recommendations?

Nope - nothing is missing and it's not a design flaw since one was never planned for your year model  ;D.  The door limit mechanism isn't designed to hold the door open in heavy/gusty winds.  A couple of model years later a different door was used at least in the Horizon/Vectra that did latch open. 

I briefly considered retrofitting the later model door with keeper, but decided that wouldn't be worth the expense.

John, do you then never leave your entry door open and the screen shut?  Even in a mild breeze it seems to bang back and forth, looking like it is putting stress on the door hinges???  Do you think it would be possible to mount an exterior closer mechanism to the top of the door and would that help?

There was an interior mechanism in those model years that was supposed to not only hold the door open, but not to have it open too far.  The Mechanism was under engineered on both counts. I had the same system on a 06' Meridian that I had.  To hold the door open in a wind I used a length of soft cotton rope, about 1/4" thick.  I tied one end around the passenger side mirror support and made a loop at the other end.  Then I would loop open end around the inside door handle leaving just enough slack to remove when I wanted the door to close. 

To handle the other problem, I used a short length of nylon strap about 14" long. I then attached one end to the top of the door frame, and the other end to the top of the door.  I drilled two small holes at each end and attached the strap with short galvanized metal screws.  It worked well for years until I sold the unit. I may have some pics I took of the install somewhere if you are interested. 

Sarge 

The limit mechanism for model year 2005 wasn't very robust and was improved in MY 2006 as I recall.  I had the somewhat improved limit parts installed by factory service on one of our early visits.

We do leave our door open once in a while but when it starts moving a bit too much, it gets shut.

Like I said, something is missing by design or other. A rope? Really? :eek:
Even my old 1976 Class C had a door catch.
J

I agree, and my 10' Journey has a steel updated door catch at the top where it should have been all along.  Sometimes engineering isn't as sharp as it should be....

Sarge, do you think the mechanism on your `10 Journey could be installed on my `05 Journey?

34footer said:
Like I said, something is missing by design or other. A rope? Really?
We are quite fancy here. ;D  I use a nylon strap looped around the door handle to the mirror.  Works for us if the wind is 15 mph or greater.

I knew all the old boating supplies would come in handy on the coach.

One of those harnesses may save you from hitting the ground hard should you trip over the jack line you strung over the roof from "bow to stern" in the centre of the roof to connect up.  ;D

OK, grabbed some pics of the entry door latch on top. It doesn't seem to be too technical of a piece, it would just come down to clearances between your existing door and door frame.  If you went on the Winne site you could probably find the part number by looking at the 2010 model year. 

it is a very sturdy latch, and with the door open to full position it kind of "clicks" into a locked position. It has withstood some pretty good gusts, both holding the door open, and stopping the door when the wind takes it and throws it open.  If you could get it to fit it would be the way to go.

Attachments

• 0629011314as.jpg
    0629011314as.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 121
  • 0629011314s.jpg
    0629011314s.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 0629011314bs.jpg
    0629011314bs.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 0629011315s.jpg
    0629011315s.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 113
Way to go Marty!!  This looks like exactly what I want.  And as you state, it doesn't look too complicated.  Thanks for posting the pictures. When I get home I'm going to check to see if I have the clearance and then try to order the part.  I love this forum, everybody knows something about everything.  THANKS AGAIN!!! 

SargeW said:
There was an interior mechanism in those model years that was supposed to not only hold the door open, but not to have it open too far.  The Mechanism was under engineered on both counts. I had the same system on a 06' Meridian that I had.  To hold the door open in a wind I used a length of soft cotton rope, about 1/4" thick.  I tied one end around the passenger side mirror support and made a loop at the other end.  Then I would loop open end around the inside door handle leaving just enough slack to remove when I wanted the door to close. 

To handle the other problem, I used a short length of nylon strap about 14" long. I then attached one end to the top of the door frame, and the other end to the top of the door.  I drilled two small holes at each end and attached the strap with short galvanized metal screws.  It worked well for years until I sold the unit. I may have some pics I took of the install somewhere if you are interested. 

Sarge
This is exactly what I did

I looked at the pictures Marty posted and went out and looked at my door.  Unfortunately, the interior door jam is way too narrow to accommodate the base plate in use on his 2010 Journey. :>(  I have currently been doing something similar to the straps, just using bungee cords instead.  I guess whatever works is all we can do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom