Jeep roads in Black Hills, SD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

We are probably going to the Black Hills of SD.  If anyone has some recommended Jeep roads to take we'd love to hear about 'em.  We will be located in the Horse-Thief CG.

thanks.

Gary,

Go to any of the Forest service Visitor Centers. Asked for the Forest service Road maps. There are two. One for the North section and one for the south.

Note that a roads can start off as a nice gravel road and deteriorate to a two rut road.  We saw no "off roading". Most of the FS roads are in the forest. On one road we had to ford a creek about six times. Creeks are running fairly full. Another road we had a downed tree, but Frank found a way the bypass it.

You are restricted to driving on numbered roads in the National Forest and all the Parks (State and National).

ken

I have to agree with Ken. No Off-roading allowed. Keep to the roads. What we used to call off-roading is actually back-roading. Have fun and post some pictures.

I'll be driving a Jeep, with my DW as a passenger.  There is no worry about us getting into rough roads by ourselves!  I just hoped there would be specific recommendations... like "take NFS Road # XXX from Hiway YYY for 15 miles, turn left onto NFS
on NFS Road PQR and watch for the elk herd on your right that comes to a small lake about 6pm"... that kinda stuff.  GPS tracks would be even better.  We won't even have the MT tires on.

thx, G.

Gary,
Our back road trips were mostly just through the forest. We saw no wildlife on any of the back roads.

The only where I remember the road numbers started 1.25 NE of Hill City on Highway 385/16. Turn north on China Gulch RD (NF249). stay on NF249, my GPS later showed it as Middle Nugget Gulch RD, until it ends at Edelweiss Mountain RD. Turn left and go to Silver City. From Silver City you can take T299 (Silver City RD) back to 385.

Before reaching Edelweiss you will ford a creek about 6 times. It seemed fairly deep to me on a couple of crossings but I had no problem with the Liberty. (I also had Frank behind me in his raised Rubicon to pull me out if there was a problem). The creek may be lower now with less snow melt.

The drive was interesting, but the scenery was just trees. The road starts off as a good gravel road and deteriorates as it continues. 

Personally I enjoyed the paved "wildlife" road in Custer State park more.
ken

I'll be driving a Jeep, with my DW as a passenger.  There is no worry about us getting into rough roads by ourselves!  I just hoped there would be specific recommendations... like "take NFS Road # XXX from Hiway YYY for 15 miles, turn left onto NFS
on NFS Road PQR and watch for the elk herd on your right that comes to a small lake about 6pm"... that kinda stuff.  GPS tracks would be even better.  We won't even have the MT tires on.

thx, G.

I lived in SD for 25 years and spent many summer vacations in the Black Hills and also deer hunted3d therte in the fall.
One of the things I loved about the Hills is that it is working forest.  All of the back country is criss crossed with NSF roads and logging roads. One of my favorite pastimes summerwas to take off on one of the back roads and just GO.
You never know what you may run into. There are ghost town, old abandoned mines and logging camps. also some beautiful streams. Some stocked with trout. As suggested just get a NFS map and take off. Many of the logging roads are not listed on any map and may be in varying condition. usually abandoned after operations cease.
The hills do not have the grander, but I think are more fun to explore  because of the back country access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom