from Las Vegas to Yellwstone and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanmartinj

Hi,
I?m planing to go from Las Vegas NV to mount rushmore SD, devil?s tower, and then back to yellowstone WY.
Could any one suggest a route
I live in Spain, and I?ll traveling with my family of 5 on a USA1 / Elite V-31S
We have 6 days for this trip, then some days in yellowstone WY and back to San Francisco CA
I?ll appreciate any suggestion
Thanks in advance

Javier

That's a lot of driving in 6 days, it will be hard to see much besides the interstates. It took us nearly 1.5 months to make it through Nevada, UTAH, Colorado and Wyoming/Montana, and we were rushing.

Depending on time of year, UTAH has amazing national parks (ZION, Bryce , Arches), better than Yellowstone for scenery(not for fauna though), although I think Glacier NP trumps that again. You can also pop down to the north rim of the grand canyon from UTAH fairly easily.

Brad

That's 1600 miles so like Brad said, you won't have much time to see anything other than what you can see from the highway. And Tom's questions about "when" you're planning this trip is a good one. If it's fall or spring, I would recomment a stop at Zion National Park in southern Utah.

Enjoy your trip
Wendy

sanmartinj said:
Hi,
I?m planing to go from Las Vegas NV to mount rushmore SD, devil?s tower, and then back to yellowstone WY.
Could any one suggest a route
I live in Spain, and I?ll traveling with my family of 5 on a USA1 / Elite V-31S
We have 6 days for this trip, then some days in yellowstone WY and back to San Francisco CA
I?ll appreciate any suggestion
Thanks in advance

Las Vegas to Mt Rushmore is about 1100 miles (1770 km) and that is not entirely over Intestates.  Mt Rushmore is about 510 miles [820km] from Yellowstone.  Yellowstone to San Francisco is 990 miles [1590 km].    That in 6 days is nearer being a re-enactment of the old Mille Miglia road race than a vacation -- actually 3 times the Mille Miglia.  :eek:

Suggestions?  Cut your itinerary down to San Francisco to Yellowstone and back.  If you want to catch some shows and a bit of gambling include a side trip to South Lake Tahoe which has both and a gorgeous high mountain lake besides.  Or you can forgo the lake and side trip and just spend your money in Reno, NV which is right on your route.

Suggestion #2:  Make that a 14 day trip and enjoy some time in Yellowstone and in Tahoe.

Suggestion #3:  Do not even consider that trip between the months of October and May -- late May at that.  Your route and destinations traverse some of the loneliest country in the USA with some of the most ferocious winter weather in the world.  Your trip is a summer trip.

Hi,

We did a similar type route, but took 6 months.  Obviously a different style but you may get some tips from our blog at thechesterfields.blogspot.com

Good luck and it is totally worth the trip!

I just used Google to map the route from Las Vegas to Mount Rushmore and my search came up with a totally mileage of 1,043.

I then used it to map the route from Madrid, Spain to Cologne Germany and that came out with 1,093 miles.

Granted we have more open space so the overall speed would be faster, but there is a "whole lot of nothing" along that route. Even in the summer you want to plan the trip well and have plenty of supplies and fuel to make sure you make it to the next town.

I would not want to attempt the trip that you planned in 6 days.

Oly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom