WiFi Ranger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

We got our WFR router from the 3G Store about 3 months ago after buying a Pantech UML 290 modem from Verizon. It took a lot of help from the 3G Store with very little from WFR to get it working. When we got to Las Vegas and a 4G signal, it flew. But various Verizon and WFR upgrades actually degraded performance and finally, when Verizon replaced my Pantech modem, the WFR was unable to make a connection thru Verizon.

WFR has been fairly non-responsive and when they do respond have been unable to resolve issues. With pressure from 3G Store I've been in touch with the President of WFR and, after additional attempts at making it work, all of which failed, WFR is taking the unit back and giving me full credit at 3G Store. I will be exchanging it at 3G for a Cradlepoint MBR95, even up.

Some interesting comments from the 3G Store tech rep. He thinks WFR is going to get out of the consumer router business. He also thinks that if all of the parties had to do it over again, they wouldn't come out with 4G routers, too many issues involved with LTE.

Thanks for the feedback, Bernie.  Some folks are giving glowing reports on Wifi Ranger, but they aren't trying to use 4G modems with them. Maybe it works pretty good with 3G equipment? Or with wifi only? Any thoughts on that score?

Gary

When I first got the WFR and it wouldn't work, 3G Store had me force all settings to 3G. That worked and I was quite pleased with the performance. When I was going to Las Vegas and 4G, they supplied me with a patch that worked with the 4G. I've been on 3G ever since and connectivity has continued to deteriorate. Usually, one of my fixes when I was really having issues was forcing the 3G settings again. Helped somewhat but not very good.

Another comment that I heard from 3G Store tech support was that the WFR worked best with older Pantechs. It wasn't until after I got the replacement Pantech, with a much higher PRL, that the WFR completely stopped connecting.

You have a 3 legged stool here; Verizon, Pantech and WFR. Apparently VZW is constantly udpating/upgrading the LTE software, Pantech is doing the same with the modem software/firmware and WFR is running like crazy trying to catch up with both. WFR is the short leg. Hopefully, Cradlepoint has more resources to devote. WFR had 4 firmware versions over the last 3 months. Who know how many VZW and Pantech had.

There has been a lot of discussion of the WFR Ranger on the Escapees forum.  It went from the greatest thing since sliced bread to, it is not ready for the retail market, and may never be.

Good idea, just poor execution.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom