Onan Microquiet 4KV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

Hello all!

It's been a while since I visited the site, but I fell on bad times and am getting back "Onto my feet" so to speak...

I opened up my Coachmen this spring to find a coach battery that held almost enough charge to properly turn over the generator (Onan 4KY FA26100J)  fast enough to start it. I had the battery on a trickle charger, but I think the extreme cold last winter took it's toll. The battery would not charge beyond about 10 volts so my diagnosis was a bad cell.

Got a replacement and installed it. Hit the starter, and it turned over a few times then quit. Investigation revealed a horribly corroded ground cable from the block to the frame and a secondary code of 3-2 (insufficient starter speed). I couldn't pull the control board due to rusted screws, so I put a secondary ground cable where the first one went, and fastened it to the frame. I now have a generator that will turn over like new, start and run for about 1-2 seconds, then shut off. The 3-2 code returns. I know it's grounded well, it has plenty of fuel supply, it just shuts down. If i quickly hit the starter when it begins to shut down, it will run again for another 1-2 seconds. I can keep it running indefinitely like that.

I can't find a manual for it that's worth a darn that might help explain a few questions I have, and the Onan repair phone people want to repair it themselves. The nearest repair center is about an hour and a half away, so just popping over for a while isn't really an option. I do think we might be that way in a month or so, but not until then.

If possible, I would like to know:
1. Does this genset have an electronic ignition? It would explain the shut down if the run circuit was faulty and it was only running on the startup voltage.
2. If it has electronic ignition, where is the control module located? I would bypass it just to confirm the unit being bad, and would replace it myself if I could. I just don't know where it's mounted.
3. Is there another shut down circuit I should explore?

I sure would like to have the generator up and running this summer. Any help you fine folks can offer is greatly appreciated.

Joe

The Onan control board needs to see voltage from the generator and oil pressure in the engine to keep running when you release the Start switch.

So check your oil level, then download this excellent Onan Troubleshooting Guide from Flight Systems.  They make replacement control boards if you need one and a nifty Slip Ring Cleaning Tool if that turns out to be your problem.

It starts and runs "normal" for about 2 seconds, then shuts down and sometimes blinks a 3-2 code.
If I re-engage the starter circuit immediately after the shut down starts, it will run for another 2 seconds.

I did find the service manual on the website (Cummins) and I now at least have an idea of the location of the different items I need to check. I did a quick look at the Flight Systems manual, and I will download and use it.
Thanks Lou!

Updates as I progress....and thanks to all!

Joe

Joe,

Take a look at this site .... scroll down to the KY manuals ... Installation, Operator and Service. 
The Service manual appears to cover your unit ... you will also need to know the "spec" for your unit to be sure you're working with the proper information.

"Spec" (such as A, B, C, etc) should be after your "4KY FA26100" number.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85628

Hopefully I did the url thing correctly. 

Howard

URL worked great, and I downloaded it successfully. I was going to print out all the manuals I have, but that's a couple hundred pages. Soft copies will work OK for now.

Thanks Howard!
Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom