Awning/door conflict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troutbum/CougarFan

We have a brand spankin' new 27ft Cougar TT with two doors. One from the sitting area/kitchen. The other (rear) our bedroom. The doors both open in the same direction, to the left when exiting. When our awning is out, the forward door swings left and likes to make contact in a mean and nasty way with the awning support. Hubs thinks air hinges are the solution. Isn't there something simpler? I'm thinking something like a door bumper but I don't know what would work best. I'd appreciate any suggestions, Karyn
Oh and yes, I do realize that a gentle approach when opening it would be ideal however, some mornings our 121 pound Lab is just to anxious

Attachments

• 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 56
Troutbum/CougarFan said:
Oh and yes, I do realize that a gentle approach when opening it would be ideal however, some mornings our 121 pound Lab is just to anxious
And, sometimes the wind is going to jerk it out of your hands no matter how gentle an approach you might use.

Maybe a quickie (but not so fancy) fix would be to place a foam pipe insulator over the awning support.  You may be able to zip tie one in place if the support doesn't slide in that area.  Get fancier and cover the (typically dark gray) foam with some white canvas or other rugged fabric.  Anyway, this would allow the door to open all the way back when the awning is not down.  Air hinges or an air closer might not.

Or you may try to find something like this.  this is on a 2010 Winnebago Journey.  This is what keeps my door from getting ripped off.......

Attachments

• Journey door latch.jpg
    Journey door latch.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 56
  • latch on top of door.jpg
    latch on top of door.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 54
  • latch open position.jpg
    latch open position.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 57
A quick and easy solution presented itself. I bought one of those swimming noodles. Has a hole down the center. We cut it to length for the awning bracket and then lengthwise to access the hole. It now slips on to the bracket and acts as a cushion when the door opens. Voila! it's done

That was one thing that bothered me. the )@#$#@ front arm on the awning and the door competing for the same space all the time.

Sadly I had an incident, smashed the last couple of feet (About 3) of the awning tube and cover.

So.. I shortened the thing 4.5 feet and moved the arm to the latch side of the door, No more compentition., nor more awning over door either but no more competition.

Sorry you had to shorten your awning but I also understand your reasoning for doing so. We were tickled when we came up with the idea of the noodle. It saved us a lot of irritation

Here's a pic of our noodle fix,LOL I am keeping the rest of it as I think there is potential for other uses...now just to think of them

Attachments

• door stop.JPG
    door stop.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
We have the same issue with our door awning. I lust put the soft side of White Velcro as a bumper, it at least stops the paint from getting buggered up.

Attachments

• DSCF3138s.JPG
    DSCF3138s.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom