Disable steering lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BusterBus

I just purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic to be used as a tow vehicle.  The vehicle is in great shape.  The previous owner had the misfortune of having the steering lock while towing and destroyed the tires and rims.  He had everything repaired; alignment checked and continued to tow it many more miles.  He does not know if it locked on its own during a turn or he did not position the key correctly.  This has happen twice.  The first time he realized the problem and stopped before damage was done.  I would like to disable the locking mechanism in the steering column but have not found a good link for the procedure.  The local Jeep dealer and the local motorhome repair facility will not touch it because of DOT regulations.  I need some suggestions and/or some links for information on disabling the steering lock.  Thanks for the help.

03 cobra sb said:
Why mess with it. Use a battery disconnect and turn the key on. That what I do.

You shouldn't need a battery disconnect. If it is the same as my 1999 Wrangler, there is an off position on the ignition switch (between lock and on) where the steering is unlocked, but there is no power draw. In my opinion, if you think you will forget, it would be easier to type up and laminate a little towing check off card to reference than to disable the steering wheel lock.

"Locked on its own" is wishful thinking. He probably forgot it. Learn the set-up routine and stick to it, and do not let friends interrupt you. Have the co-pilot double-check everything before you attempt to drive away (your eyes will likely see what your brain thinks it did, not the real status). I painted a white dot where the ignition key goes, to make it easy to see from the passenger window if it is turned to Accessory.

There are two different types of steering wheel lock that I have seen

If the key goes into a slot on the side of the steering column, disabling the interlock may be impossible.. If it fits in a hole in the dash,, you are in luck,  (Though I've never done one of those)

Here is why.. On the steering column type the key turns a pinion gear, this moves a rack up and down. The rack operates (often via a cable) a slide switch located somewhere else on the column.

The Rack is also the lock pin.

Now in theory you could grind it down till it no longer engages the wheel... but then you'd not be able to push it down (with the key) far enough to start the engine.

On the dash mounted there is a cable from the lock to the lock pin.. That,,can be disconnected.

BusterBus said:
  I need some suggestions and/or some links for information on disabling the steering lock.  Thanks for the help.

If you are in Yuma,AZ...... Ultimate Offroad can do it.

Back
Top Bottom