Just got a diesel pusher, what do you do before and after a trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenhmiller

I upgraded from a gas motorhome to a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star 4095 with a Cummins 350. I know all I need to do on a gas rig, but feel as if I'm starting over. For a diesel, what do I need to do prior to a trip and after a trip, that I don't do on a gas rig?

Also, I have those chrome beauty caps that fit over the lug nuts. What do you do to keep from losing them while driving? Just from driving to the dealership to home, I lost 8 caps already.

Try adding some electrical tape to the lug nuts. Then push the covers on. Should be more snug.

The chrome covers should not fall off if properly installed and are not damaged.

I can't think of anything specific to a diesel rig that you nee to do. It will sound an alarm if air pressure is low and that's about all that is unique.

The big thing with diesel is air and fuel in. Change the filters and oil on schedule. It is amazing how dirty diesel fuel is when you change a fuel filter.  Let the engine idle a few minutes to cool the turbo.

Just echoing about the filters.  Clean air, clean oil and clean fuel are a must for the newer diesels.  If you don't have an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge, you need to let the rig idle for 3-5 minutes before you shut it off.  This will allow the turbo to cool off otherwise the oil that is in it will coke up and dirty the rest of the oil.

As for the lug nut caps, I have 60 of them plus the installation tool (rubber coated pliers essentially) off of a dump truck that I had.  I would make you a heck of a deal on them if you want them.

I had the engine oil, oil filters, fuel filters and differential oil changed. They didn't have the generator filters, so couldn't do that. They tested the coolant and it checked out fine.
I have to find a shop that will change the tranny fluid and filters as well as the coolant and generator oil and filters.

60 caps, huh? How much shipped to Ennis, TX 75119? Got a picture to see if they are the same as mine? What should I do to prevent them from falling off?

Do you require an air brake endorsement on your drivers licence in your state??

As long as you have an understanding of how the air brakes differ from hydraulic brakes and thus the requirement to build up the pressure, understanding those pressure requirements, function of the air dryer etc. and the diesel engine cool down at the end you should be good to go!!

Since you appear to be in Texas, you should be aware that you need a Class B license to drive any vehicle over 26,000 lbs., which your Dutch Star is.

As stated above, do study the air system so you know what to expect from the air brakes and how the park brake works.  This is very different from a gas chassis brake system.

Scheduled maintenance is very important, don't try to extend the service intervals on filters and fluids.  Unless you put on a lot of miles, you'll probably be fine with an annual service.  Also, there are different levels of service, some years require more things done.  If you have a Freightliner chassis, FL refers to M1, M2 and M3 service levels.  These are all defined in your chassis operator's manual.

I suppose one pre-trip check item would be to see that you have the proper driver's license :)

That is the reason I brought up the question of licence endorsements. Our sister province of Ontario has both size and brake requirements and obliges the driver to attend a training course to obtain them. Thus a driver would be familiar with air brake function as opposed to hydraulic brakes.

Here in Quebec, no special licence or endorsements are required for an RV of any size, even for class 7 tractors  used as a hauler and registered as an RV.  Driving any other vehicles with air brakes do require passing the (fairly exhaustive ) tests to obtain the endorsement.

Ned said:
I suppose one pre-trip check item would be to see that you have the proper driver's license :)

I checked and Texas has a Class A and Class B. B is for 26,000 and over, and A is a Class B with towing. I don't have either. the kicker is the dealer NEVER checked if I had it or mentioned I need to get it! So, I'm going to have to plead ignorant if pulled over next week while on my trip. But, it will be a priority when I get back.

Good luck, Hope someone does not run into you or involved in any kind of accident . In the society we live in today they will OWN that Dutchstar and pretty much everything else you own!

Whit said:
Good luck, Hope someone does not run into you or involved in any kind of accident . In the society we live in today they will OWN that Dutchstar and pretty much everything else you own!

Believe me, I'm very much aware of that. I drive slow anyway, and am extremely caustiious. I always leave a ton of space between me and the vehicle in front. I know, it's the unexpected that can happen.

"before" a trip, if the weather is cold, you have to wait for the "heaters" to warm up before you try to start the engine on a diesel.  Gasoline engines don't usually have this feature.  You also need to wait for the air pressure to reach operating pressure after the engine is started before you drive away.  If you don't use it often the fuel in the tank might be "winter" mix or "summer" mix which might not be when you want to travel.  I don't know if it makes any difference one way or the other...?

After the trip, especially in the winter, seems like a good idea to top off the diesel fuel tank to keep water from condensing in the tank.  Probably a good idea with a gasoline as well but I've never heard that it's critical.

not that much difference I guess.

Googling "diesel rv pretrip checklist" turned up a whole raft of possible checklists. Our motorhome came with manuals that included extensive pre-trip checks. Perhaps yours did, too, or they may have them online.

Typically in a diesel chassis with air brakes, you need to bleed the air system before departing. Modern air systems contain a dryer so all you are doing is checking for the presence of water which would indicate that the air dryer is not working properly. On my Freightliner chassis, there are three lanyards, two behind the passenger's front tire and one behind the driver's front tire. I use an awning pull rod to reach in and pull on them. You will get a brief release of air. Look for water on the ground. Also check the fuel water separator sight class for water or fungus residue. You should also check your tire pressure while cold before departing. Checking the oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid are easy to do and just take a few seconds.

I do these checks before each departure as well as safety checks on my tow vehicle attachments.

smokin_all_night said:
Typically in a diesel chassis with air brakes, you need to bleed the air system before departing. Modern air systems contain a dryer so all you are doing is checking for the presence of water which would indicate that the air dryer is not working properly. On my Freightliner chassis, there are three lanyards, two behind the passenger's front tire and one behind the driver's front tire. I use an awning pull rod to reach in and pull on them. You will get a brief release of air. Look for water on the ground. Also check the fuel water separator sight class for water or fungus residue. You should also check your tire pressure while cold before departing. Checking the oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid are easy to do and just take a few seconds.

I do these checks before each departure as well as safety checks on my tow vehicle attachments.

I have the Spartan chassis. I looked for some lanyards behind the wheels on mine but didn't see any. I guess i have to crawl under the coach and find the tanks and see if there are some valves that I can release to check.

the kicker is the dealer NEVER checked if I had it or mentioned I need to get it!

Ha!  Their only job is to convince you to buy their product and take your money.  They could care less what kind of license you have.  When we transferred our drivers licenses and vehicle registrations from one state to another even the DMV didn't question whether we had the "correct" endorsement and one was for a Class A DP!  The right hand simply doesn't know what the left hand does - or doesn't care...

ArdraF

If you don't have the proper driver license are you sure your insurance will pay up if needed?  I think if I needed the endorsements I would get them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom