propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beerman

Hiya guys. I have a 1991 ultrastar with a 60# propane tank. Im going on my first  chilly weather trip and was wondering how long I can expect the gas to last using the heater and hot water.
Thanks
Brian

Two things.

1: Can't tell you off hand, Likely a couple of weeks at the least
2: You may need to have the tank re-certified before you can get it refilled, it's 14 years old after all
(Should have been done 2 years ago and if it was, then no problem) talk to a LP gas service about this

There are a lot of things that play into this question. First of all, the water heater is not a great user of propane. It uses more than the refirgerator but not even in the same range as the furnace. In cold weather the furnace probably uses at least 80% of your propane. But the outside temperature is the major factor. Another is the insulation of the RV and yet another is the wind. There is really no way to determine just how fast yours will go. Sixty pounds is only about 10 gallons and you can bet that if it is very cold it won't last more than a week if it is the only supply of heat. We have friends who have wintered in Kansas and in very cold weather they plan to use about 75# per week.

Oh yes, 3 days on 60 lbs,  You may well have 50 left

My rig has a 31 gallon tank,  I usually refill long about 20 gallons or so I'm not sure what that translates to in LBS

I suspect with a sixty lb bottle you should be good for well over 3 nights

Suggestion.. if you are worried visit your RV supply store,  Marshall Brass has a product called an "Extend-a-stay" it's a device that goes in the gas line, right at the POL valve, before the regulator,  It comes in a couple of models.. The one I have has an Inlet fitting so you can hook an external tank to the rig (A hose is included) and an outlet (This is like the top of a 1lb Propane bottle) to hook up your grill as well as a POL fitting for the regulator to connect to, it also contains flow limiters (In case you blow a gas line) and check valves (to insure that inlets are just inlets and don't leak gas)  Very handy

This easily installed device allows me to either run the portable grill off the rig's gas bottle, or inversely heat the rig using the portable grill's portable bottle.  Works both ways.  You might wish to look into one

RV Roamer said:
Liquid propane weighs 4.5 lbs/gallon

Thanks, so 20 gallons is about 90 lbs, (did not think the tank was that big) and the tank 139.5... I really do not think the tank is that big... But it is stamped 31 gallons and I've pumped over 20 in it more than once

Back
Top Bottom