How to sanitize grey water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Close the dump valve, run in several gallons of water, then pour a 2-4 cups of bleach down a drain (depending on the size of the gray tank). Continue running water til the tank fills, then let it sit for  a day. This will kill most anything in the tank, but doesn't really clean it out.

Another technique is basically the same but you add an enzyme such as Roebic 57 or Rid Ex instead of bleach and let it sit for a 3 days.The enzymes will eat the greasy residue that clings to the tank walls and sensors.. It doesn't "sanitize" in the sense of killing germs, though.

I'm not sure what the point of "sanitizing" the tank would be, since the very first time you run some water down a sink drain it gets contaminated again. Are you having a problem with odor or clogs?

When I dump the tank the odor is awful. I figure things are growing in it.

It's not unusual for the gray water to smell as bad or worse than the black water.  Sanitizing the tank won't do much for very long.  Just be careful about what goes down the sink drains.  Try to avoid putting lots of food scraps down the sink, they are a large source of odor problems.  And use lots of water, unless you're dry camping, of course.

rvogie

Use some of your black water treatment each time after you dump your tanks only need to use less of the chemical.  It will keep the tank odor free until the next dump.

Neither tank should need any chemicals to work correctly and reduce odor.  Lots of water will work.  And I'm not sure ANY tank will smell nice when in the middle of dumping them... it's kinda part of the RV lifestyle!  ;)

Back
Top Bottom