How do I find a roof leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

Yesterday it rained, a lot.  I went into the camper and found water on my counter near the cooktop.  I did not see any drips or trail so I don't know where it came from.  The kitchen is on the slide, and it is retracted.  There is a gutter above the slide as well.  The slide is downwind of the rain.

So how do I find the origin of the leak?  (Yeah, I know, it was the rain!)  But how do I pinpoint the leak?  And, what do you suggest as a fix?  I have been on my roof, and there are no rips or tears in the roof coating.

Was the water you found brown coloured a bit?  That would say luan plywood somewhere in the path, either down from the ceiling or inside the walls. Use a paper towel to wipe up and see.

Anywhere along the roof line is a good place to start. Does water pool on the slide top, and perhaps dumped it when you pulled the slide in??

That gutter overflows easily and it is likely mounted using butyl tape behind it. That stuff drys out and lets water enter through the screws. Any of them rusted, possibly loose??

Is there an exhaust vent over the stove that vents outside? Another good spot. Remove the outside cover and check the sealing around it.

Any windows around there? If so, you could remove the ring (1000 screws) holding the window on the inside and check around and on top of  the window frame? Any brown water traces on the top says window seal or roof to wall joint in that area.

The sure way is take the rig to a RV dealer that has a pressurizing system. Basically a large fan taped to a window or the door and go around the outside with a soppy water spray and look for bubbles. Not sure about cost, I had it done in New England and it was a few hundred dollars. YMMV
Jim

If you can't find it you may try contacting an RV service center. Mine has a service where they pressurize the rig and spray soap on the exterior (about $150). The leak shows up as bubbles. Hope this helps.

Whatever you do don't ignore it.

Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom