Mounting a LCD TV on an exterior wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Road Blogger

We want to install a 36 - 38 inch LCD TV in the Coachmen 5er.  We would prefer to NOT have it in the entertainment center.  We are considering mounting it on the exterior wall between the entrance door and the refridgerator--just above the window.
Anyone have ideas as to how we might go about doing this? 

THANKS

Tim and Mary

On the road in Indiana

Your problem is to find an area of the sidewall that can reliably support a standard tv wall mount, either flat or articulated. RVs aren't built with studs in the wall every 16" or so - the walls are vacuum-bonded over a wood or metal framework that has no regular proportions or spacing. You may need to mount a backing board that reaches to the places where a screw can be solidly anchored into the wall and then screw the tv wall mount to that.

In my old coach, I could not find a suitable area to mount tv. I placed it on a table and layed it on the bed going down the road.

We were wondering about those "studs."  Is there a safe method to reinforce the wall to support the LCD bracket / TV combo?  We could mount the TV to the side of the pantry and use a swing out and swivel mount may be?
We would like to have the entertainment center (where TV currentlt is) for storage.

Tim and Mary

On the road in Shipshewana Indiana

I mounted a 42 inch TV to an exterior wall by placing a 2" x 18" x 3/8" backing board OUTSIDE the wall and another one INSIDE the wall, then bolting the bracket though both of them. The one outside is under the awning and so not visible unless the awning is extended, and even then it is not that noticeable.

Frank

This is what I think my BnL did on his Winnebago Coach.  He said it is sturdy and the two carriage bolts are barely noticeable. 

Did you place support wood behind the OEM panel as well as on the outside of the panel in the interior?

THANKS

Tim and MAry

On the road in Champion, Michigan  (Van Riper State Park)

Back
Top Bottom