is anti-rv sentiment common?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bermuda95

I want to start this topic after my first long trip with my new Class C.  My wife and I both noticed that we receive a lot of attention driving around in it.  Much of this I assumed is because people are interested in MH's and they are not something you see driving around everyday.
I've always thought MH's were cool and looked at them before I bought one and do so even more now that I own one.   

There are two particular incidents that occurred that I wonder whether or not they are random coincidence or part of a larger anti-RV sentiment that exist that we are just becoming aware of. 

The first was driving via a campground.  This campground had both regular tent camping and RVs.  However, our site was located right on the border between the RV sites and the tent-only sites.  The only way to access the site was to drive the roads that went via the tent only sites.  We were instructed to drive this way by the front office.  So we did.  Each time we went through we received many dirty looks from folks in the tent-only sites.   

The second was in a parking lot at the beach.  We arrived early.  The lot was pretty much empty.  As I always do I picked a location that I knew would not block anyone else in even if the lot filled up.  Which it did.  Then folks started parking illegally and my 28 ft Dutchmen prevented folks from doing that in a couple of spots.  Being our first time at this beach we didn't know people parked illegally like this.  While taking a break from the beach we heard people grumbling about it as they walked by.  Then someone looking for a spot got very belligerent and threatened to block us in.  At that point I had enough and I stepped out of the RV and we got into an argument.  I didn't move, they didn't block us in but it soured an otherwise great day at the beach. 

I am just wondering if we just had a bad trip or if this type of sentiment is common and something to keep in mind in our travels. 

Thanks
Chuck

I have only ran into the anti-RV sentiment on a few occasions. I think it is jealously, pure and simple. I remember when I was tent camping and a beautiful RV would drive by me. I would be jealous. But not to the point of making a dirty look or remark.

I have had several encounters with motorcyclists in gas stations. It usually goes like this "How much does it cost to fill that thing up with gas" and there usually is a slightly sarcastic tone. They want me to give them a figure so they can brag about how great the gas mileage is in their toy. But my reply usually shakes them up. I say "I live in this thing full time and it costs a lot less to fill it up than what you pay for your mortgage payment every month" This usually stops the conversation cold.

Taking the second part first, as long as it's a monitored car park with cell service, I will welcome being blocked in most of the time, crazy as that sounds, I have most of what I need with me including a bed, food, toilet and mostly just the time to wait them out, until the monitors arrive to check out the car park and tow offending vehicles, if it gets to the point that you want to leave in a couple of hours, that's when the cell service comes in, most places that I've been have signs with the local tow companies number on it, they are happy to tow vehicles for you.

I try and park out of the way the majority of the time, if I arrive early enough to stick the MH in a corner I do, I try to not hog the space, but if they have a lined parking lot, I will use two slots, end to end, if I can't do that I'd try and take the end of a row as far away from the interest area, particularly if I intend to stay for a long day.

This is part of the reason that TOADs are liked by so many, you are not the road block that folks have to maneuver around or be green eyed about, much better to turn up like everyone else at those out of the way points of interest.

Strange as it may sound, but for the times that you occupy more space than the other guys, a small toad could make all the difference. With your campground story, do you think that you would have gotten the same looks if you drove through in a small car, instead of the 28'er?

I doubt it very much.

So think about how and when to park, and where to drive, the nicer we can all be to other drivers, the less impact we each make as RVers to the general motoring public, the less reason they have to hate us.

My happy to be blocked in can run counter to my last paragraphs advice, but I'm prepared to wait them out or tow them out if I have to! 

I live in this thing full time and it costs a lot less to fill it up than what you pay for your mortgage payment
every month" This usually stops the conversation cold.

Boy, I guess you really told them!!!

We have traveled over much of North America for many years and seldom encounter any anti-RV sentiment. No more so than any other kind of "anti", at any rate. I've seen people get upset because I couldn't drive as fast as they want to on secondary roads, or because I need more space to make a turn, but that's just a matter of size and not "RV". It could just as easily be "anti-truck" sentiment or "anti-framer" sentiment if I was driving a tractor.

I'd say your beach experience was just some frustrated, would-be beach goers looking for something to lash out at. Your larger and unexpected rig was an easy target, but if you hadn't been there it would be somebody else.

Our experiences have been in line with Gary's.  I don't recall EVER detecting any sort of anti-RV sentiment in our travels through 34 states.  Perhaps it's there and it just rolls off our backs but I don't think so.  We do, however, have a larger rig so we do local sight seeing in our toad so haven't put ourselves in situations where we compete for parking space with autos.

I get the occasional question about how much it costs to fill it with fuel but I always just answer honestly assuming the question was genuine.  Never has the response been to ridicule or chastise me.

Hang in there and think nice thoughts.  Don't let jerks ruin your good times.  ;)

Rick

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been leaning toward the isolated incident theory here.  But thought I would throw it out there.  I agree it's probably just an anti-"big" sentiment if anything.  Not specifically for RVs.  But the campground experience really had me wondering so thought I would throw it out there to you folks with experience.  I will continue to drive and park with awareness and consideration for other vehicles and just take everything in stride.    I see the value of the toad, but we like to go to the beach with the rig and stay all day.  So I'll have to just find the beaches that are most friendly and accommodating for the rig.  That will come with experience.

Thanks again. 

Chuck

Ya know, I have to admit when we were young and tent camping, I'd get upset when an RV pulled in; especially if it parked beside us.  Then I'd get even more upset if they ran their generator.  My first feelings were "that is just not camping and enjoying nature".  I didn't think I was jealous, maybe I was.  I think that's part of the reason we don't do alot of camping in national forest or state parks.  I don't want to disturb other campers with my big diesel pulling in; trying to squeeze into a small space and running my generator because I like to keep things charged. 

We've only had one time that someone said something to us and it was while we were in Canada.  We were trying to squeeze into the only place that would/could fill our propane.  A lady was having her portable propane filled and said something about polluting the environment, using a lot of fuel and generally that the rig was too big.  I smiled at her and said:  "we've had a ball in it and have seen much of your beautiful country....and I love driving it".  She walked off.

Marsha~

We really haven't experienced too much anti RV sentiment. Mostly it's been positive comments like, "Wow, that's what we want to do someday!".  The most common stereotype that we have encountered is that some folks in campgrounds assume that you are a snob and avoid contact with us just because our RV may cost a little more than theirs.

We are actually very social people and will chat with almost anyone passing by.  Some folks will avoid making eye contact when they pass to the extreme of staring at their feet as they walk by.  Often I  will  call out "how ya doing?" just to get them to look in our direction. 

But other times it's funny when someone passing will stop in front of the RV window and point and stare, not realizing that we are standing on the other side of the solar screen watching them! Most RV'ers are very social though, and a friendly greeting is always easy. 

The most cold stares usually come from a park that has a high percentage of permanent residents. There you can get the feeling that you are invading their space. 

But we just nod and walk on.

If people are parking illegally and getting upset because the way you parked (Legal I must add) prevents them from doing their illegal activity you should not confront them. You should call the person who does what I used to do and let him send some professionals out to confront them. My office phone number was only 3 digits long,  9-1-1.  That is what they are there for,  To fight the good fight for you.

Of course, on private property, 9-1-1 .. does not help much.. So call the manager and complain.

I have security where I'm parked.. On speed dial this week (Well, it's in the phone's recently dialed list) had to turn in some violators a couple nights ago.  (Turned in a staffer today, but that was not to security, His boss, many others and I all fill our cups at the same coffee pot in the morning)

Marsha/CA said:
I think that's part of the reason we don't do alot of camping in national forest or state parks.  I don't want to disturb other campers with my big diesel pulling in; trying to squeeze into a small space and running my generator because I like to keep things charged. 
Marsha~

I respectfully have to disagree with that sentiment Marsha.  We love the national and state parks and monuments.  I believe that our dollars are just as important in keeping those places open and solvent as those that are tent camping.  We are however, very strict on minimal generator hours and keeping all noise inside our camp space.  (not so much with large tent groups)

And actually, we have had more rude tent campers than RVers in national and state parks. It usually involves one or more of the tent campers walking through our site and peering in the open door or windows. And not once, but continually. It's amazing though, if I were to stroll over and stoop down to peer in their tent they would be horrified.  Some folks just don't get it. 

Marsha/CA said:
  My first feelings were "that is just not camping and enjoying nature".
Marsha~

I think Marsha has hit on one of the issues some people have with RVing... especially in a big rig.  The sentiment of "that's NOT camping".  We have run into that a bit more... but not really in a hostile manner.  With the growth of our sport MANY folks such as ourselves are now sharing space with more traditional "campers" who feel tents and cooking over an open fire is the only way to camp.  Our view is that we have never claimed to be campers but (as Sarge pointed out) maintain that we have the same right to enjoy the great outdoors as they do so long as we minimize the intrusion on their camping experience by containing our noise... generators and otherwise.

Also like Sarge, we find a lot of people walking by the front of our rig... stopping, pointing and talking about our rig probably without knowing that we can see out but they can't see in.  In addition to sun screens our coach came with tinted one way windows so it's great privacy during the day... not so much at night.

Rick

Maybe we need signs stating something like..."We're not camping.  We just hate motels" or "We're not camping.  This is our job creation program".

During my 15 or so years as a full time RVer have not run into much of anything that suggests anti-rv sentiment against me or my rig. However, that doesn't mean it does not exist. I am in parks that have all levels of RVers and campers -- top of the retirement or pay scale to unemployed trying to get by living in a tent. And for the most part, they all get along.

OTOH hand there are those on either end that are really lacking in how to get along and how to take care of our camping space wherever it might be and how to think about what we are doing that might impact our camping neighbors. And there is nothing much we can do about that, so just suck it up and remember that one of the main benefits of having wheels on our house or on the vehicle we stow our tent in if we don't like "anything" about our current parking location -- we can just move on down the highway. I love that about RVing.  :) :)

As to parking in a parking lot -- we do so at the risk of impingement on the territorial instincts of anyone else parking on the same lot. With any animal in the jungle or human animal anywhere else, the need to have our own territory is right up at the top of the needs higherachy (after we feel safe and have some food - and before finding a partner).  ;)

Molaker said:
Maybe we need signs stating something like..."We're not camping.  We just hate motels" or "We're not camping.  This is our job creation program".

See, Toms onto something.  The DW and I always tell people we talk to that can't see how we can "camp" everywhere we go.  "We don't camp, we RV!"  I have done a little time in a tent, and boy it's not for me.  God bless those folks that do it and and like it, because man those folks do a lot of work.  I will always respect their way of enjoying the great outdoors, and I will enjoy our choice!

And BTW Marsha, that why I carry a portable dish too!

SargeW said:
And actually, we have had more rude tent campers than RVers in national and state parks. It usually involves one or more of the tent campers walking through our site and peering in the open door or windows. And not once, but continually. It's amazing though, if I were to stroll over and stoop down to peer in their tent they would be horrified.  Some folks just don't get it.

I've been on several sides of this coin - Tent and RV.
At Big Sur the guy in the bigger rig next to us (we were in the 5th wheel) stood in fornt of our kitchen window a lot.  He couldn't been much closer if he s a peeking Tom.  Instead of having a pretty view of the river we had the view of this guy - not pretty. 

When tenting camping the people next to my site kept cutting across the cener of of my site as a shortcut.  When these people left the new people came over during dinner to check out my "ktichen/prep area".  Later the wife returned with the husband and checked out the inside of my tent.  I didn't know there people so I was surprised by the visits.

Bob Buchanan said:
With any animal in the jungle or human animal anywhere else, the need to have our own territory is right up at the top of the needs higherachy (after we feel safe and have some food - and before finding a partner).  ;)

Bob, you're really classing the joint up!  On how many RV forums can you find Abraham Maslow quoted?  ;)

Rick

I am reluctant to park in congested areas because my rig takes up 3-6 spaces and I don't want vandalism, fisticuffs, or someone deliberately parking me in to stir up trouble.  We usually don't park the entire rig anywhere except for a rest stop, at a restaurant, or when loading groceries.  I will not stop somewhere if the parking is congested or the security of the area questionable.

Sure there's lots of anti-RV sentiment out there.  Plenty of people who see them as ostentatious gas hogs.  Often times the same people take an annual ski vacation to the Alps but they don't see the contradiction because they don't think about the amount of jet fuel that is burned as a result of their activities.  And plenty of people who don't think camping and public land use should involve anything motorized.

I try really hard to be courteous on the road and in campgrounds and so far have found that the good interactions are more frequent and more memorable than the bad ones.

The anti-RV sentiment tends to be more on the side of municipalities that clearly don't want RVers on their streets - or in their retail establishments!  When we get to a town and see lots of "no RV parking" signs we know we're not wanted and go elsewhere to a community that makes us feel more welcome.  In fact, that is one of several reasons why we sold our previous home and moved to another state.  We had already fought the city council and figured it was just a matter of time until things got worse again.  There were "no RV" signs in our section of town but none elsewhere which clearly was a violation of the "equal access" rights.  But, there was one couple who lived in our area who would report anything - RV, boat, satellite dish, etc. - that didn't fit into their idea of a pristine neighborhood.  The second set of anti-RV is people who don't like our big vehicles driving in front of them and preventing them from speeding or whatever.  We have a very good friend who hates driving behind RVs and grumbles about them not going fast enough.  But this person is still a friend!

Like others have said we try to park as far off to the side as possible in parking lots.  We do the best we can not to cause a problem, although it sometimes happens (like when we can't make a turn and have to unhook!).  Also, if we're going to be starting up our diesel and campground neighbors are sitting out Jerry usually goes over and lets them know we have to "air up" and will turn it off as soon as we can (we air up, turn off the engine, and then bring in our slides).  This lets them know we're trying to be considerate.  Sometimes they sit and watch and other times they choose to go inside until we're done.  As to people in the campground, tenters understandably don't want their peace and quiet disturbed, but if you're following directions to your site I wouldn't let it bother me.  After all, you're paying to be there too and have just as much right to use the road as they do.

When we got our first Class C about 35+ years ago we went around the country on our first big trip.  RVs were more common out here in the west and didn't arouse as much curiosity, but back east people would stop and stare.  One time we came back from Canada into Maine and after the Customs agent was finished he asked if he could see inside the motorhome because he'd never been inside one before and was quite frankly dying of curiosity to see what it was like.  I think he decided right then and there that he'd get one some day!  You didn't say where you were, but the part of the country might have to do with the anti-RV attitude you encountered.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom