rv friendly truck stops/ fuel discount cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobguigley

Are there and travel plaza/truck stops that are more rv friendly?  Like special rv fuel pumps.

What experience do any of you have fuel discount/credit cards.

Flying J/Pilot Travel centers across the US. Most had a RV fuel pump lane with a propane fill and dump station. The only problems I encountered was my Visa would only allow $75 per purchase and the diesel pump was for a vehicle so delivery was slow. When I needed a lot of fuel I went with the truck pumps and pre-pay.

What type of RV do you have, are you towing a car if a motorhome and is it gas or diesel? RV pumps as well as regular pumps can be located where a larger rig could have trouble maneuvering. Truck pumps are only diesel. There have been many discussions regarding fuel discount programs from Flying J/Pilot and others. Do a library search for them.

Most Flying J truck stops have RV islands that sell both gas & diesel.  Some of the RV islands also have an RV dump station & water fill.  To get an RV Frequent Fueler Advantage discount card, just go inside to the counter & ask for one.  It will get you a 2 cent/gallon discount.  I think you need to go online to register the card. 

As Sweet Hitchhiker noted if you swipe your credit card at the pump you are limited to $75 per swipe.  It gets to be a pain if you have to swipe your card 3 or more times to get a fill up at today's prices.  You can avoid this by going inside & prepaying.  You have to make 2 trips inside but it's usually faster.

Mike Wagner

By far the best discount program available is the 5% discount given to users of the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa Card on all fuel purchases.

The only restriction is that you MUST PAY AT THE THE PUMP.  If I have to reswipe the card at the $75 limit, I'm more than willing to do that for the extra discount.

The 5% discount on $4/gallon fuel makes the 2 or 3 cent/gallon discounts offered by others laughable.

FWIW, I have no connection with the PFCU except as a satisfied customer.

Don

If you use diesel, most of us look for truck stops and use the truck fueling islands where the pumps are faster and probably have fresher diesel.  The Pilot/Flying J stations are in a state of transition after the two merged, so they're still getting their act together and things may work differently in different states.  On a recent trip they worked just like they used to, e.g. Jerry had to go inside to pay, but we used the truck islands and it did not cut off at $75.  The reason is that our RV Frequent Fueler Advantage card was approved prior to using and they knew us.  The pump showed an approved message after he swiped the card and before fueling.

Two companion books might help you, RVer's Friend and Trucker's Friend.  They list by state gas and diesel stations that can handle large trucks and RVs.  We carry both.  The column that gives the number of truck parking spaces often is a good clue as to exactly how large they are and whether your size rig will fit.  If it says parking for eight it's probably pretty small, but if it says 110 we know fitting won't be a problem.

Also, some of the RV fueling islands have car parking in front of the convenience store and you have to maneuver past the cars to get out.  Sometimes it's a really tight fit.  That's another reason most of us who use diesel use the truck islands.

ArdraF

I would double check the prices when you go to the Truck side of the Pilot stations.  I encountered some it was  8-10cent higher for trucks.  I had the slow pump problem also. It was explained that when the Truck pumps get busy and which have a higher volume kick in, the secondary pumps over in the rv side suffer.  Not enough pressure I was told.  Most of the stations I encountered on HWY 10 from Florida to CA have uped the automatic shutoff to 125.00. All I did was go in give them the card and they preapproved me for the amount I estimated I would need.  Most of us have a pretty good idea how much fuel we are going to take and they will do the math for you.  Makes it a bit faster.  You guys on the right coast enjoy the price of your diesel.  We are paying around 4.40 a gallon out here in lala lan 8)d.

I encountered some it was  8-10cent higher for trucks.

The truck islands have a different price for cash vs credit as the standard pricing, but if you get the Pilot/FJ RV card you get the cash price with a credit card. Separate cash and credit pricing is pretty common in truck stops and becoming common in gas stations as well. Pilot/FJ, though, gives the same price for cash or credit at their car & RV islands.

And in Arizona, the trucks pay about $.09/gallon more in tax than cars and RVs.  Pilot/FJ normally deduct that for RVs, but some truck stops won't if you use the truck pumps.  We found that at Love's they didn't like RVs at the truck pumps so would charge the full truck price to RVs.

For the next three months Discover card ( I don't work for them) is offering a 5% discount on gas.  i don't know about diesel. 

The Discover Card bonus is only on the first $300 in purchases at Gas Stations, Hotels, Movies, & Theme Parks.

ceemike said:
Most Flying J truck stops have RV islands that sell both gas & diesel.  Some of the RV islands also have an RV dump station & water fill.  To get an RV Frequent Fueler Advantage discount card, just go inside to the counter & ask for one.  It will get you a 2 cent/gallon discount.  I think you need to go online to register the card. 

YOu have to think about that RV frequent Fueler Advantage. A lot of us have 100 gal tanks.  If I filled it from empty 100 gals times 2 cents a gallon.  savings $2.00    :eek:  Almost can't buy a cup a joe anymore for that.That they now have you home address and can send you all the junk mail they want priceless as the ad says.
Steve  8)

edit: moderator added missing end-quote tag

Can't say that I've ever had any junk mail from Pilot/FJ and I've had an Rv card for over 10 years, but I hear ya re the puny discount. I use the RV card because it allows me to use the spacious truck islands with its high speed diesel pumps and still get the cash price. Pure convenience - the discount is almost meaningless.

I'm with Gary ... discount is pretty much meaningless.  While I have a 35 foot gasser, getting to the RV pumps out front is a lot easier than almost all car pumps.

I will continue to use for example the old Flying J ... now a Love's ... in Des Moines at exit 125 on I 80 because of the RV pumps.

Convenience, ease of use, not the discount, is the issue for me.

Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom