Wiper blades - replace entire bracket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I've read several past threads on MH wiper blades and finding the right sized blades... a problem that I am having, but only in terms of the actual blade refills.  My rig ('94 Ford F53 chassis) seems to have all kinds of available blade options from Advance Auto, et al but only if I replace the entire bracket + blade like most of us do on our cars.  However, my original metal blade bracket is metal and appears to be bolted on each side of the spindle.  Will these work as well with the common plastic replacement blade/bracket assembly, or should I keep the metal brackets in place and keep shopping around for the slide-in blade refills?

I have not seen refills for the wipers on class A's.  Mine are the whole blade assembly and it is bolted to the arm.  I believe that is the way they all are.  They are not cheap to replace, about $50.00 for the pair. They are well worth it when you need them though.  A little trick a friend of mine showed me years ago to extend the life of them.  Spray Armorall on a rag and wipe the edge of the blades with that.  It really does work.

mphy98 said:
They are not cheap to replace, about $50.00 for the pair.

This is where I'm confused, because Advance Auto (and I'm sure Auto Zone, etc. would be the same) shows multiple aftermarket replacement options.  All at standard prices considering the length I need.  But again that's a plastic bracket and not metal like the original, but I don't know if that really matters.

I purchased blade refills from NAPA about a year ago.  They had a display of blade refills from 15" to 30"+.

Did your new blade assembly just bolt on through the middle hole (like the originals) or were you able to use any of the various quick-connect clips that come with newer refills?

scottydl said:
Did your new blade assembly just bolt on through the middle hole (like the originals) or were you able to use any of the various quick-connect clips that come with newer refills?

I think we are hung up on semantics and terminology.

I purchased only the blade refill, which is just the rubber blade and the thin metal strip that slides into the spring loaded blade holder.
The wiper blade arm and blade holder were not replaced.  I'm fairly certain that the blade holders, complete with attachment brackets that would match my wiper arms, were also available.

Thanks for the clarification Lou.  ;)  The "wiper refill" is what I'd like.  The "wiper assembly" that I referred to was meant to refer to the entire bracket that includes the new rubber blade already attached.  Advance says their plastic bracket replacements are compatible but I'm skeptical.  To Napa I will go!

I buy the plastic Anco ones from Wal-mart, for a little less than $6 each, and replace at the beginning of the season.  Work well.  I also carry one spare blade assembly.  The bolt on the m/h arm goes right through the center hole, just as if it was made for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom