question about towing with a diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike54

I just bought my first diesel it's a 2005 Dodge 3500 5.9 cummins
I'm not sure to tow in tow/haul all the time which locks out over drive like I did in my gasser
I read the book but it's not clear about it  :-\

If it hunts for OD back and forth when towing keep it locked out of OD.

When I had my 06 2500 Dodge, I used Tow Haul whenever I towed.  Kept truck from down/up shifting frequently. Towed over 60K all over th country. Its a great truck.

mike54 said:
I just bought my first diesel it's a 2005 Dodge 3500 5.9 cummins
I'm not sure to tow in tow/haul all the time which locks out over drive like I did in my gasser
I read the book but it's not clear about it  :-\

Double check for error codes and see if the throttle sensor is goofing up. The old school APPS sensor are known for this issues I'm not sure if the newer one are too. Typically P0121, P0122 or P0123 error cdoes for the old school...

From what I have read, the '05 Dodge tow/haul locks out 5th gear but still uses 4th (also an overdrive) and alters the shift points for better hauling performance.  I would say to use tow/haul whenever you are towing, but it doesn't hurt to experiment and see if it can ever get into 5th gear without it. If you can run in 5th overdrive without constant shifts to 4th and back, then feel free to use it. Probably not going to happen often, though.

I have a 2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9 and use tow/haul when starting from a stopped position until I get to 50-55 mph then I switch to normal drive.  If I go below 50 mph then switch back to t/h.  This way I get the initial power with t/h and the gas mileage with the overdrive. 

Congrats on the Cummins. Best engine available imho. Your 2005 produces 610ft-lbs of torque stock. What are you pulling? I've never used tow/haul on mine. I would recommend installing a smarty, or another comparable chip. Nothing drastic. I run a PPE chip settings on 1, which gives me an additional 100hp, and 80ft-lbs of torque. Enough to keep her from searching for gears, but not too much. A cummins will destroy a stock 48re if you get too aggresive. Obviously on grades off 6% or greater, she'll downshift. When that happens, I just find the sweet spot (usually 55mph) and hold the pedal there until we crest the hill. Chip it, you won't regret it!

I'll second that "best diesel engine ever made". I've owned two, '97 and '05. Never spent a dime other than oil and filters in 15 years. The 5.9 has been replaced with a 6.7 I think. Now the 5.9 is coveted even more. It's more economical. I totally love my '05 3500 5.9 Cummins Dodge. At 610# of torque and 375 HP out of a straight 6 pure stock what more could one need? Really, solid as a rock (sorry chevy). Wonder why big rigs (18 wheelers) don't use automatics? I use the 6 speed manual. Eliminates "gear hunting". See a big hill, just drop to 5th OR NOT and nail the throttle, no worry about tranny temp. or pressure, gear hunting, or RPM and sure as heck ain't gonna hurt that engine.  HAMMER DOWN...

Happy Truckin'
CarolinaCamper

Wonder why big rigs (18 wheelers) don't use automatics?

More and more of them do these days. It used to be axiomatic that real men don't use automatics, plus the manual tranny was cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and cheaper to maintain.  Allison has pretty much proved that the cost argument is fallacious, and more and more drivers are confident enough of their sexuality that they are willing to enjoy the convenience of an automatic.  8)

Hey I like an automatic in my car too. But I have heard all kinds of stories about all kinds of automatic transmissions problems from fellow campers, plus all the maintaince, but you never hear anybody complain about manual transmission problems. Maybe nobody knows how to use a manual anymore. I can't out shift an automatic but I trust my logic to shift or not, more than a computer. I'm just keeping it simple.

Happy Truckin'
CarolinaCamper

install a 5" exhaust and a good programer and keep your eye on the tranny temp and your done,have the same engine and I tow all the time around 100,000 miles a year ,still going strong

Attachments

• 1316213868116.jpg
    1316213868116.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 56
CONGRATS!

You've just bought one of the BEST trucks on the market today!

If you have ANY questions at all about your Ram, check out this site:

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com

They're good dudes, and always willing to help. Just like this RV Forum - NO egos!  ;)

I have a 2004.5 Dodge automatic and my friend has a 2005 3500 Dodge automatic like you.  My 2004 stays in Tow/Haul until I manually release it.  His 2005 when in Tow/Haul, will automatically release T/H and go into overdrive (nice feature in my opinion) and will shift out of overdrive to T/H when needed. 

We checked the owners manual and seemed both manuals stated about the same thing but both work differently.  We agree not very specific on how T/H works in either manual.

I liked his because you set it on tow/haul and forget about it...mine has to be manually released around 55mph.  No big deal but a nice feature.

Absolutely tow in T/H with your auto.  It is there for a reason.  It alters your shift patterns and offers a more aggressive downshifting strategy when braking.  I believe it was either 2005 or 2006 that it came out with the overdrive lockout feature.  On mine (2006) it will still shift into overdrive (4th) even in tow/haul mode, it just offers the abilities I previously mentioned.  The 3rd gens like to tow in overdrive, they run cooler.  Under 60 mph, I keep the O/D locked out, over that I keep the tow/haul feature on all the time.

A few specs for you;
Your engine comes with 325HP, not 375, and 610 ft. lbs from the factory.  Also, your tranny is a 4-speed, not a 5-speed.

DO NOT CHIP your truck unless you are prepard for supporting mods!!  You will need gauges and tranny upgrades at a minimum.  Whereas the 48re (our automatic) is a great tranny STOCK..it will soon loose out to a tuner on a Cummins!

threeful said:
I have a 2004.5 Dodge automatic and my friend has a 2005 3500 Dodge automatic like you.  My 2004 stays in Tow/Haul until I manually release it.  His 2005 when in Tow/Haul, will automatically release T/H and go into overdrive (nice feature in my opinion) and will shift out of overdrive to T/H when needed. 

We checked the owners manual and seemed both manuals stated about the same thing but both work differently.  We agree not very specific on how T/H works in either manual.

I liked his because you set it on tow/haul and forget about it...mine has to be manually released around 55mph.  No big deal but a nice feature.

Uh Sorry to disappoint you but both trucks use the same 4 speed automatic.  All the tow/haul function does is reprogram the shift points of the transmission to hold in gear a little longer.  Allowing the motor to rev farther up on the torque curve.

Same tranny yes (48re), but there are subtle differences...

in 04.5 tow haul, only had a tow/haul switch and it extended the shift points and prevented OD.

In 05, it is a tow/haul mode, but will go into OD..

In 06, you can turn on tow/haul, that will still enable OD, but if you push the button again, it will lock out OD..

T/H changes shift parameters and locks the torque converter earlier (2nd versus 3rd)  To be honest, a lot of people complain about the 2005 NOT being able to lock out overdrive.  Driving around 55-60mph will cause it to shift into O/D and lug the motor if you ahve a heavy load.  I lock mine out until 60mph and the shift into O/D.

carolinacamper said:
I use the 6 speed manual. Eliminates "gear hunting". See a big hill, just drop to 5th OR NOT and nail the throttle, no worry about tranny temp. or pressure, gear hunting, or RPM and sure as heck ain't gonna hurt that engine.  HAMMER DOWN...

Happy Truckin'
CarolinaCamper

Yes, awesome engine & love the 6 speed manual.  With the exhaust brake it's just a matter of figuring out what gear works o[for the road you're on.

I read in the Cummins book on mileage that the drivers that get the best mileage get to top gear the fastest & stay there the longest.  I tried speed up for hills & decided that the cruise control is better than I am.  On interstates, I stay in cruise/6th gear until/unless it drops below 1400 rpm.

Joel 

Haggs, you're absolutely right. My 5.9 is 325hp. I must have got my numbers mixed up with the "hemi". In either case the main power is the torque, right?

By the way, anybody out there use the six speed manual with their Cummins. Wandering how you like it? Any problems inherent in this tranny? My '05  only has 57k on it but so far it has performed flawlessly. The only complaint I have is that it's a little stiff in the lower 3 gears when it cold. After it warms up it shifts just fine, up and down. In first gear at idle (800rpm) that truck would climb a redwood tree, if it could hold on, with my 5er (16k) hooked up. Might take a while, about 2.2mph on my GPS  ;D. Never realized how much torque was there at idle until I got a manual tranny.

I see Joel's reply as I,m posting mine. I,m glad to see I,m not the only one since my grandpa to use one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom