Yet another Generator issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jswalls110

I have now gotten my new to me motorhome inspected, had the AC converted to r134 and everything is right with the world. Except the generator. It is an Onan Emerald 4000. I was going to change the plugs, filter and oil but in the meantime, it has stopped running.

When I use either the dash start or the start on the side of the genset all I get is a click, like a relay click. No other response. I have checked and replaced the fuse there also. This started when the gas tank was a bit below half.

I am was going to attempt to change the starter solenoid, but I wanted more opinion from people with more experience then me (zero).

Thanks!

Jeff

Check all of your battery connections from the batteries to the the genny starter.
Don't just look at them take them apart and check for corrosion.
J

I'm with J. Connections and battery condition would be first checks on my list. The click you are hearing is most likely the starter solenoid (it resides inside the control box where the start switch is). If it clicks, than the solenoid is probably working, but you may not have enough current to turn the starter if the battery is down or you have a bad (or corroded) connection. If the battery, connections, and solenoid are good, that leaves the starter. The bendix drive on it could be hung up in the flywheel, or the starter just toast.
Check Battery/Connections first
Open the control box and see if you get 12v off the solenoid when you hit start second

I had a similar problem with my 6.5 kw onan generator. Went to push the button one day and all i got was a single click each time the button was pressed. My problem was a locked up starter. First i would check all the connections, then the solenoid and the starter. If your getting a sound you obviously have some current flowing, how much is another question. Most problems relate to connections, but necessarily.

That's what I was looking for.

Thanks for tips!!!!!

This place is priceless!

when mine gets to that dead spot..........hit the starter a couple times with a hammer.........LOL........it works!

Reach past the solidode and feel for the fly wheel (check the book) try to turn the flywheel by hand, if you can't the starter is jammed.  This happened to me and I got the same clicking.  I took the genset out, took off the cover and started to remove the bolts for the starter.  After backing them out a few turns the starter popped free of the fly wheel.  then I just put everything back together and had no problems.

I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your thoughts and help.

Over lunch I went out and managed to turn the flywheel a tiny bit and heard a clang. It then fired right up. The starter was stuck.

I would have spent money and time on a fix that wouldn't have worked without your guidance.

As I said before, this place rocks!!!!

Great tip.
I took the panel off the outside of my Winne to look at the gen set and frankly stopped there - I do know however that I am going to have to have a proper look and have the courage to take the cover off to at least check the levels etc.. Slightly unnerved !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom