Awing Connector Pulling Away from tent trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheilachilton

I have a 2002 Coleman Utah and the strip that holds the awning to the tent trailer is coming loose in the middle. I am concerned that as I go merrily down the freeway, the awning may pull away entirely. Does anyone have a suggestion or answer as to how I can replace or repair this? Thank you.....

Purely speculation, but it sounds like the screws holding the mounting strip are pulling out.  Typically, these screws are attached to wood running the length of the top behind the roof or side material.  It is common for the putty or caulking around the screws to dry out and recede letting water penetrate around the screws, causing the screws to rust and loosen.  If you are lucky, the wood is not totally rotted and you can reattach the strip with larger screws or reposition the screws (drill a new hole).  Either way, you should remove the strip entirely, clean up the area and reseal it with something like double-sided Eternabond tape.

I am trying to repair my torn awning bag, so until I get it fixed, I merely flip it on top of the camper and put 2 tie-downs across the top of the camper.  Then I get to drive with peace of mind.  Just an idea if you can't get to this right away.

I have a 2001 Coleman Santa Fe with a similar problem. The right side of the channel that holds the awning has widened so that the awning pulls out at the right side when pressure is put on it. I solved this problem temporarily by putting a couple of additional screws through the channel and the awning, but I'm afraid that these will pull through the awning at some point, so I'm looking for a more permanent solution.  We actually take the awning off when we travel and put it under the roof so it won't fall off.

I can't figure out how the channel is attached to the ABS top.  There are no visible screws on the outside, so it may just be bonded to the top with adhesive.  If the strip is coming loose I'd suggest using a good silicon rubber or epoxy adhesive between the strip and the top.

Back
Top Bottom