Facebook Security for fulltimers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sundance3200

We have been fulltiming for about 2 weeks and this weekend we are camping with our Good Sam Chapter in Calhoun, Ga.  When going on facebook to tell friends that I was going to be out of town this weekend I thought of what they tell you not to do when on facebook and that is not to tell someone that you are leaving town because of the possibility of someone breaking into your house, well they had better be fast as we took the house with us.

Just don't turn on the app that sets your GPS coordinates, but again, they better be fast.

Congrats on full timing, have a blast!

The best solution is not to have a Facebook account at all.  They have proven time and again they can't be trusted with personal data.

Ned said:
The best solution is not to have a Facebook account at all.  They have proven time and again they can't be trusted with personal data.
Or do like I did and with the exception of my email address, I left all the non-required fields blank and put in garbage for the rest.  Facebook does not my real name, birth date or my home address.  It's not like they will ship me a gift or money.

Facebook can't leak and hackers can't steal information you have not given them.

And if no one can find you, then what good is it?  Why have the account at all?

Ned said:
Similar to Marc all FB have is my name and my email address.  I've lied on birth date and such.  (Note to folks, if you do decide to change your birthdate do be sure you set the year so you're at least 14 or 18.  If less than that FB might automatically decide you're a child and shut down your account.)

There is at least one person on the Internet who really doesn't like me.  If he should ever get a job with Facebook or wherever he won't find much information on me in the databases other than my friends.  I'm also careful to not mention my current location.  Although this may change once I go fulltime.  But then I may only mention where I've been or rough location such as province or state.

(And no, I'm not paranoid. )

But on the good side...My daughter found me after 29 years, did a DNA test and now I have 2 more beautiful grandchildren, a gorgeous daughter that hasn't asked anything of me except acceptance as her Dad. I AM the lucky dog!! All through facebook.

catblaster said:
But on the good side...My daughter found me after 29 years, did a DNA test and now I have 2 more beautiful grandchildren, a gorgeous daughter that hasn't asked anything of me except acceptance as her Dad. I AM the lucky dog!! All through facebook.
That's awesome!

Let me add though that as I have a reasonably unique last name anyone can locate me on Facebook.  And my email address and Skype phone number on a web search.  Just that my physical location is a bit more difficult to find.  :)

Sure there are some negatives to FB, but there are some positives also.  I also reconnected with some family that I had lost track of and after 30 years I found out that I had a very large family.  This subject was to poke fun at myself and also to celebrate in a small way of getting on the road.  DW hasn't called a divorce lawyer so far and it looks grea tfoe the future.  I even watched some guys cut the grass the other day while I sat under the shade. 8)

Don't get me wrong. I quite like Facebook and use it to keep in touch with friends and family.  And now when I see them in person next I can ask the one cousin's daughter about her nursing and another cousin about her grand daughters medical treatment, etc. etc.

Also note that thread drift is a very common occurence.

Getting back on thread, I never tell facebook friends, twitter, or e-mails about where I go untill I am back from having a good time. Usually a week later. Congratulations on getting back on the road!

catblaster said:
Getting back on thread, I never tell facebook friends, twitter, or e-mails about where I go untill I am back from having a good time. Usually a week later. Congratulations on getting back on the road!

May I ask why?

Rick

Sure Rick, there have been rumors of people being "cleaned out" while on vacay and I don't feel they really need to know more than necessary. Most of the thing stolen from my property have been by my "friends" or someone they have brought to my house to visit. Most of them have been caught and do their penance my way.

catblaster said:
Sure Rick, there have been rumors of people being "cleaned out" while on vacay and I don't feel they really need to know more than necessary. Most of the thing stolen from my property have been by my "friends" or someone they have brought to my house to visit. Most of them have been caught and do their penance my way.

Thanks.  I'm with you now.  I've had the same "friends" I think.  :(

I was thinking you were full time and didn't want anyone knowing where you were headed.  I sure agree about the stick and brick house situation.

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom