smokey mnts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

combatcop

about to head up to cherokee nc from jax fl....anyone know a decent route to cherokee, not sure of mountain routes..looking for a well traveled route,thanks

Ease over and catch US441 around Dublin Ga. Stay on 441 all the way then. Very good mostly 4 lane road. Only mountain grade in Cowee mountain just north of Franklin Nc. Steep grade but not much twist, just take it easy going up and coming down. US441 goes through downtown Cherokee.

We usually take 341 from Brunswick to Dublin, then 441 to get home in Milledgeville.

thanks wizard, ive driven the route from chattanooga/clevland to cherokee several times, could go that route but want to hit smokies prior to heading to chattanooga...wife and i back on the road again,been settled down for two years and cant stand it,....."ON THE ROAD AGAIN"

I'm not sure what you mean by "well traveled" but I-95, I-20, I-40, US23, US441 is an easy route.

thanks jeff,
we used to go the route from clevland,tn along the ocoee river, great ride....64 to murphy then 19,andrews, bryson city..always admired the 18 wheelers that took that route

Love that drive through the Nantahala Gorge btwn Andrews and Bryson City.  Do have to pay attention when meeting oncoming trucks or motorhomes in some parts.

combatcop said:
about to head up to cherokee nc from jax fl....anyone know a decent route to cherokee, not sure of mountain routes..looking for a well traveled route,thanks

Was just up that way a month ago, stayed in Bryson City. We are also from Jax area.
you will love this drive

Driving directions to Cherokee, NC

Orange Park, FL 32003
1. Head southeast on Eagle Harbor Pkwy toward Town Center Blvd
0.5 mi
2. Turn left onto US-17 N
6.0 mi
3. Merge onto I-295 N via the ramp to Savannah
25.4 mi
4. Continue onto FL-9A S
0.4 mi
5. Take exit 35B on the left to merge onto I-95 N toward International Airport/Savannah
Passing through Georgia
Entering South Carolina
219 mi
6. Take exit 86B to merge onto I-26 W toward Columbia
Entering North Carolina
208 mi
7. Slight left onto US-74 W
0.8 mi
8. Merge onto I-40 W
17.7 mi
9. Slight right onto US-74 W/Great Smoky Mountains Expy (signs for US-19/US-23/Clyde/Waynesville/Maggie Valley/Franklin/Murphy/Atlanta)
33.6 mi
10. Merge onto US-441 N via the ramp to Great Smoky Mts/National Park/Cherokee
3.8 mi
11. Turn left onto Tee Pee Drive
0.3 mi
12. Turn left onto US-441 N
0.2 mi
13. Take the 1st right
0.7 mi
14. Continue straight onto US-19 S
272 ft

Cherokee, NC