2005 JAYCO DESIGNER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

We're looking at a 2006 Jacyco Designer.  It is a model 3l RKS.  The price seems about right based on low NADA.  It comes with a 5500 Onan generator and a Xantrax 458 Inverter.  It is wired for solar but the previous owner removed the panels and put them on his motor home. 

I don't know much about Jayco and welcome the thoughts of Jayco owners and others who have considered or have knowledge of them.  Also, I don't know what to look for when checking the generator and Inverter.  They look good but I'd like to know if there are any known issues I need to take into account.  Also any other known issues Jayco might have or have had. 

Thanks for your help.

Gary     

My son just bought a Jayco 19' TT and he loves it.  We looked it over before they bought it and I was impressed with fit and finish.  They had a problem with the fridge not working and went to camping world to have it fixed.  Camping World hemmed and hawed over it (under warranty) and finally a call to Jayco and Jayco took care of the problem.  We were impressed.

I'm not familiar with the Jayco Designer, is this a motor home, 5th wheel or a travel trailer?  Before you buy; there is a pre-purchase check list in our library.  Just click the Library button above and do a search.  If you have trouble finding it let us know.  Print it out and take it with you.  If you can get all past maintenance records that would be great.  The generator may need an oil change and a good tune-up especially if it has been sitting unused for a while.  The best thing to do is run it.  Is it a propane generator?

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha,

It is a 5th wheel.  The check list is a good idea.  I'll download a copy.  Don't know about the genny.  My wife recalls the dealer has had the trailer for about four months so I doubt they've run it much.  Don't know if the dealer will release the prior owners name and phone but I'll call if I can get it.  If it has a clean bill of health I think I'll make an offer.

Gary

Make sure that you check out the Jayco Owners Forum  http://www.jaycoowners.com/
You will find the most info there, we have a Jayco 2006, 29N and love it, after owning other brands over the years we also find Jayco to be better all around.  Happy Camping!

We are on our second Jayco, this one is a 2010 TT, 31' RKS.  We have been very happy with the product and have had no real service issues to speak of.  Once the hitch was adjusted, it tows nicely behind my 2006 Ford Expedition, 5.4L V8.  Good luck with yours.

Just realized the subject line shows this unit as a 2005.  It is in fact a 2006. 

We took another look at the trailer yesterday.  While we were there, we asked the dealer to pull in the main living room slide.  I don't know if this is how they're supposed to work but the slide moved very slowly and the motor sounded like it didn't have enough power to bring the slide all the way in.  The batteries may not have been fully charged so the dealer turned on the generator.  Turning on the generator didn't do much so don't know if the slide was operating normally or if it needs service.  At the moment, that's our only concern. 

If anyone can shed any light on the slide movement, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary     

Sounds like a weak battery situation but the generator should have fixed that.  Unless he didn't have it plugged in.  He may have just started it and not transferred the electricity to the trailer.  You could ask him to plug in the shore power cord and see what happens then.  The slide should move faster than "very slowly" and the motor should not strain.  You could also hook a truck up to the plug and let it run for a minute.  That would transfer juice to it and the slide would work as well as it is going to.

I have a 99 Designer.  Love it.  Very solid and well built.  My slide is always slow, but it gets the job done.

Mine came with a generator, but I removed it and sold it as I wanted the storage space.  I'd rather have a generator in the back of my truck, so that I can use it for other things besides the RV.

Gary,

I had a 2004 Jayco Greyhawk Class C that I bought new for 4 years.  It was a decent unit, no problems except the cheap plastic drawer glide supports that I had to replace.  My coach had an electric motor powered slide that moved very slowly too, whether it was on battery power or 110.  On one hot summer day the slide wouldn't move more than a few inches.  I discovered that keeping the rubber slide gasket lubricated with silicone helped immensely.  That may be all that yours needs too.

Mike Wagner

Thanks everyone.  Great input.  I reviewed an earlier thread I started about 6 months ago regarding weight considerations and there was some good input from both Gary RV Roamer and Carl.  That has eased some of my concerns.  I'll probably be over GVW on the truck by 500 lbs, but with a loaded trailer weighing approximately 12,500 to 13,000, I'm no more than 85% of my CGVW.  We're going to make an offer on the trailer.  Hopefully the dealer will see it our way. 

Thanks

Gary 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom