Dental Care on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

FrankNSharon

We will be heading out full timing starting in the next month or so. One of the things we have not figured out yet is who we will arrange regular dental care - cleaning etc. - once we are traveling. We do not plan on having a "home base" and don't plan on staying anywhere more than a week or two.

So, advice please?

Frank

There are dentists located in just about every town in America. Not too hard to find one that will take your money.

Since we have been full time on the road, we have arranged our travels to put us in Yuma each winter for a couple of weeks so we could visit our chosen dentist in Los Algodones.  Many others have done the same thing.

Sielerbird,

My experience at home is that Dentists are typically booked up, sometimes months in advance, and often will not take new patients. That is my concern, since we don't want to have to be in one place for a month or two waiting for an opening.

Frank

That's not been a problem in Algodones, at least not with our dentist.  Call ahead a month or so and make an appointment, they all take new patients.

We make contact with dental schools where we plan on stopping.  We can usually get at least cleanings for free and the experience has been excellent.  We can get an opponent with very little wait and they use students who are about to graduate.  They have dentists looking over their shoulders and have been quite thorough and professional.  Some of the clinics also have professors who do other work and are next to free.  Some use their clinics to test licensed dentists who are coming in from other states and want local accreditation.  If in Florida, UF at Gainesville is one of the biggest dental schools around and has an unending list of services available with very little wait.  Locally I just got a cleaning appointment with 24 hour delay.

FrankNSharon said:
Sielerbird,

My experience at home is that Dentists are typically booked up, sometimes months in advance, and often will not take new patients. That is my concern, since we don't want to have to be in one place for a month or two waiting for an opening.

Frank
I haven't ran into that problem.

Pick a place to do your doctors and dentists and plan to visit them annually - or as needed. You don't have to live in a place to establish regular doctor and dental care. Just be regular customers.

Cool,

Thanks for the replies, sounds like another "issue" we can cross off the list - :)

Frank

May is our month to get all the annual stuff done, we make our appointments for the next year when we are done with the present year. We also carry our dental x-rays with  us just in case.

Denny

That's a good point about carrying your records and Xrays with you.  We have saved a lot of time and money by having those items with us when there is a problem or questions.

Back
Top Bottom