Anyone camped in motorhome at Outer Banks National Seashore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheila1947

We have never been to the Outer Banks area and would like to go in September.  We have a 38' motorhome.  Any advice on campgrounds/facilities.  Would love to be on a beach.

Thanks
Sheila

I have camped on the Outer Banks at a campground near Ocracoke. Fantastic place to camp and incredible beaches. It is a park service campground and there are no hookups but you are as close to the beach as you can get on the east coast. If you are into birdwatching there are a million shorebirds there. I could watch the pelicans fly all day long.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ocracoke_Campground_Nc/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70986

seilerbird said:
I have camped on the Outer Banks at a campground near Ocracoke. Fantastic place to camp and incredible beaches. It is a park service campground and there are no hookups but you are as close to the beach as you can get on the east coast. If you are into birdwatching there are a million shorebirds there. I could watch the pelicans fly all day long.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ocracoke_Campground_Nc/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70986

I was the volunteer camp ground host for the Ocracoke NPS campground for six weeks this past spring.  An even more enjoyable NPS camp ground (most sites have ocean views) is the one at Frisco on Hatteras Island.  I also did a six week CG host gig there this spring.

As the Host, I was privileged to occupy the only site in either park with utility hook ups.

Yep... a couple of years ago.

We loaded our class a onto a ferry at Swan Quarter in North Carolina, for a two hour cruise to the south end of the outer banks. We sat in the coach and drank a little wine during the journey.. try it. We spent a week or so staying at some nice rv parks then drove north through kitty hawk then back onto the mainland, via a bridge into virginia..nice trip

we stayed at camp hatteras on rt 12 in rodanthe (about 400 sites)..beach was beautiful...we had site # 2. 50 feet from ocean (reserved in winter) 2004 Discovery.

1/4 miles south is KOA large as well...but i prefer camp hatteras.

1/8 south of KOA is WAVES campground...only abot 35 sites but short walk to beach but less than half the price.  we hope to stay at waves from our return trip to florida coming up soon.

as previously stated, the beaches are spectacular.  when we were there this past April, the season had not yet started (Mem day) and beaches and area were spectacular....JUST BEAUTIFL!!!!!

there are also a few "non-advertised" places north and south of rodanthe but if beach is what you want, i don't think you'll be dissapointed...

thanks

We stayed in the KOA at Rodanthe, HWY 12 ,picked a site that was backed up to the beach dunes , there is little to no light pollution ,and a short walk to the beach . The staff was very friendly & helpful ,it was our 1st time there . The traffic was bad going thru the inner loop 440 /I 40 but other than that we had a great time and are going to go back this fall.  This site will be a lot of help www.outerbeaches.com/OuterBanks/
Edit: Fixed link.

All the other posters are right, Ocracoke and Hatteras are awesome.  NPS  campgrounds on both, however not much in the way of private CG on Ocracoke.  My suggestion would be to stay on Hatteras and take the ferry to Ocracoke for a day trip.  Especially in September!    I wouldnt want to be stuck on Ocracoke with a storm bearing down on you.  At least on Hatteras, you can drive north to connect  back to the mainland.

ATVs are not allowed in the National Sea Shore areas of the Outer Banks.  No personal water craft in the waters and NO (non-street legal) ATVs on the beaches.  There are NO trails available to motorized vehicles that I am aware of, just beach access roads.  Of course, I've only been here for forty-five years,.

We stayed at the KOA for a few years vacations, I loved it.  Being there was not that much for our kids to do (other than the go-karts that we enjoyed) we moved to Myrtle Beach and Ocean Lakes.  The water is much calmer on Myrtle and we have never had the bone chilling surf that happened at OBX one year... However, I am looking forward to going back to OBX and doing .... absolutely nothing.... just enjoying the nice beach, when the kids no longer want to be burdened by the family vacation.... which is coming all to quickly...

As I said in my prior note, on our way back to NH from FL, we were going to check out Ocean Waves Campground.  we were only able to get 3 days as we had no reservations.  We are in site 46 and about 100 feet to the beach over the grassy dune.

The campground is very small but had no problem with the back-in with the help of guidance from staff. 
The concrete pad is fairly level, water and sewer hookup and 50 amp service.

Very family oriented, kids with bikes but VERY nice.  It is half the price of Camp Hatteras and the "same" ocean.

The area is absolutely gorgeous...lovely beaches...we will definitely be back next year at Waves...

Thanks
Sal

Never having been there I'm wondering how difficult it is to maneuver a motorhome towing a car getting to and from the campgrounds.

JoAnn said:
Never having been there I'm wondering how difficult it is to maneuver a motorhome towing a car getting to and from the campgrounds.

It's a matter of pulling off of highway 12 and stopping at the gate.  All of about 100 feet.

Well that sounds really easy.  Thanks!  Definitely going on the list of stops for next summer.

JoAnn

I, also, was wondering about the Outer Banks.... we have a 42 ft. w/ tow.  Do the campgrounds take large rigs?
and what would the best route to Outer B.  coming from Chattanooga?  :-\

greenboy said:
I, also, was wondering about the Outer Banks.... we have a 42 ft. w/ tow.  Do the campgrounds take large rigs?
and what would the best route to Outer B.  coming from Chattanooga?  :-\

Probably I-40 to Raleigh, NC and then US64 East to Nags Head on Route 12 on Bodie Island.  Take Route 12 south to Oregon inlet bridge and on to Hatteras Island.  At the south end of Hatteras Island (about 60 miles) is a free ferry to Ocracoke Island.  Most campgrounds mentioned here on this thread are in Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo or Avon.  (All on Hatteras Island)

To exit ocracoke to the south or west, you will need to make a reservation on either the Ceder Island Ferry or the Swan Quarter Ferry.  Call 1-800-BYFERRY.

The free ferry to Ocracoke, from Hatteras, runs every half hour from 6am to about midnight, in the summer time.  Check the available schedule on-line to be sure.

With the hurricane..I guess we will put our trip off  :'(    It seems as if they are going to be having a rough time over there...to say the least!!

After Irene rt 12 was cut through in four or five places and I understand you cannot drive south of the Oregon Inlet bridge.  I have a membership at camp Hatteras and we go down there several times a year.  As far as I know the only access to the island at all is the ferry at Hatteras Island and that may only be for folks who live there until they get the roads repaired.  Great place to camp though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom