Travel Trailer vs Fold Out trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghengas

Was thinking of trading my TT for a Fold out model.  I like the extra room of the Fold out without the extra weight.  I am concerned , however, about wind and rain entering around the fold up areas.  I've seen used models with obvious problems, but the new ones seem to seal better. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ghengus,

I think you've analyzed the situation pretty well. You get more room and less weight for less$ than a TT. I Started RVing in a PopTop, took it across eastern CAN, including PEI NM and NS and saw a lot of rain. We stayed dry and ran our furnace in the cold and made sure to open the canvass and get it our when we arrived at a new location. Sometimes one has to break camp in the rain. Do the best you can to shed th loose water and open up asap at home or the new site.

The new pop-tops are amazing!

We had a large pop-up back in the 70's and it was pretty amazing. Certainly no problems with rain or even snow entering it and its furnace kept the rig toasty warm in any whether. Todays pop-ups are even more amzing, with more amenities, including even small slide-outs! And most have a solid roof and synthetic material where the "canvas" sides used to be, so drying it out is not so much of an issue (though it will still mildew, inside and out).

You might also consider one of the "hybrid" styles, with either folding hard top & sides or the travel-trailer like bodies with pop-up like push-out rooms at the ends. Both of those are substantially lighter than a regular TT with a fixed length equivalent to the unfolded dimensions of the hybrid.  Google hydrid rv or hybrid camper to see a selection - just about all trailer manufacturers offer the TT-like hybrid. The folding hard body style is more specialized - see www.trailmanor.com for an example.

I think the hybrids may be more prone to leaks than soft sides models, though. Perhaps it's harder to form waterproof jonts with solid panels? Obviously it something to be considered when looking at the design of the individual units.

We own a '97 Trailmanor and it serves our family well.  It's easy to setup.  If we get a rather level site, we're completely done and relaxing within 15 minutes (awning, lights, everything).  We normally sit there and wave to the people next to us trying to put up their pop-up camper.

The great thing about this camper is that it is weather-tight.  The only time you are going to get rain in it is if it's a horizonal rain coming from the right direction while you are folding up.  With that in mind, it's only during the brief moment between folding down the front & back halves.  We've setup/torn-down a few times in the rain.  Unlike canvas pop-ups, you don't have to worry about setting back up quickly to keep the canvas from molding.  That and you don't have to worry about the kids touching canvas in the rain.

The greatest thing is that we have a 25 foot TT that folds up to just 18 feet to tow.  It's light enough that we tow it with our mini-van.  That and it has AC & a bathroom.

Something to keep in mind.  All the light-weight trailers are a little more fragile than their normal counterparts.  If you take care of them, they will take care of you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom