2003 Allegro Bus SLideout Electrical Troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Lassen

Today we parked our motor home in storage after picking it up from the body shop where it has been for two months having repairs and body work completed on passenger side after an unfortunate mishap.  After parking in storage we tried to put the slide out and it appears as if there is no power.  The body work completed on the motor home was mostly superficial and should not have been the problem.  The electrical repairs included replacing awning, passenger mirror and one side running light on bottom quarter panel at rear wheel well.  All other electrical in coach appears to work except the replaced running light and of course the slide. 

Tomorrow I will start to check all of the electrical, but I am hoping someone on the forum has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction.  There are two resettable breakers wired in series by the converter/inverter marked slide out and wired in series.  Although the Tiffin manual indicates they are resettable I am not sure how.  I checked those for a reset button, but could not find or see signs of one so will have to remove to determine if they are truly resettable.  Also, Tiffin manual indicates their is a 30 amp fuse on the battery+ line by the black box controller which I will need to find and finally their is the three position switch itself.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts and if I can resolve I'll update this post.

Hi Tim,

Congratulations on finally getting the coach back after repairs. Bummer on the slideout problem.

Problem resolved.  Talked to Tiffin and they recommended wapping the solenid tied into the engine protection.  Apparently they become stuck.  Everythings good to go now. 

Lou,

My version of the "wrapping".  8)  It's a northern fella's (Tim's) explanation of a Southern technician's mechanical technique of "hitting" the solenoid with a hammer.  Tim called Tiffin and the tech said to "hit" it with the hammer, as sometimes the solenoid gets stuck.  By golly, that fixed it.

The running light problem was that they replaced the broken cap, but installed it on top of the old bulb, which was burned out.  So now that is fixed.

I love the "redneck" way of doing things.  Heck with a hammer and duct tape, you can about fix anything. 

Marsha~ (redneck)

Marsh, I 'figered it was something like that.

I'm sure if it had been fixable by push button, Tiffin would have told Tim, to "mash" it.

BTW - the old hammer trick on the solenoid is seldom a permanent fix.  The failure really is an internal weld or tack caused by arcing contacts.  It will return for another "wappin" sometime in the future. ;) :D

Glad everything seems to work at present.

Lou, Tim being the master of "extra tools"...extra supplies...and extra equipment, he called Tiffin today and ordered a new solenoid; plus a few other things.  A man can never have too much.

Marsha~

About 3 years ago I had a problem with my slideout on our 2003 Pheaton not coming in when I was starting to leave a campground. Called Tiffin and was told to "Jump" the solenoid by placing a screw driver across the post of the solenoid. Solenoid has worked great since that time.

Frank

In the aviation business we charged more so it was know as "malletizing".

Frank, on ours and probably yours,  the slide will not go in or go out with the engine on.  My husband keeps a record of mileage so when we stop for the night, he writes the information in a log book.  If he turns the engine key to on instead of accessory, the slide will lock and not come in when we are ready to leave the next day.  All we do is turn the ignition key back to accessory again and volia` the slide will retract.

Jeff, please don't tell me they "mallet" an airplane.  I'm nervous about flying as it is..... :eek:

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Jeff, please don't tell me they "mallet" an airplane.  I'm nervous about flying as it is..... :eek:
Marsha~

Marsha:

Turbine engine fuel controls are known culprits of not reopening (turning on fuel) after a shutdown. If the airplane was somewhere where a replacement was not available applying a gentle to moderate tap was a well known fix.

You know the old saying,......"if you can't fix it with a hammer, then your problem is electrical".

HEHE... a little credit to Big Larry and Just Lou...

"if you can't fix it with a hammer, then your problem is electrical".

If all else fails, a stick of TNT will solve all problems..  ;D :D

Carson FL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom