Upgrading View to auto generator start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjshaker

Is there an easy upgrade for the 2011 View 24K to enable auto generator start when the house batteries get low?

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

Just stumbled on a generator auto start solution from Onan that sounds like it should work,
I just stumbled upon a possible solution, the Cummins Onan RV Generator Energy Command AutoStart Control

"Cummins Onan Energy Command 30W (EC-30W)
Cummins Onan EC-30W puts RV power in the palm of your hand.
Cummins Onan Energy Command 30W consists of a receiver that is wired to the generator and a hand-held transmitter that is used to automatically start and stop the generator as required to maintain battery health and temperature inside the RV."

Anyone used the EC-30W?

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

There is another current thread on that subject that was NOT using the Onan version and the OP was encountering much difficulty.

Over the years there has been quite a few discussions on the Onan auto start options mostly concerning the generator starting itself at odd times and for no apparent reason. In many cases, those who have experienced this 'feature' usually ended up disabling the auto start .

I think most opt for a means of plugging in, where possible, to maintain batteries.

If you have an Onan gen set, then you can install Onan's Energy Command product. 

I have a Xantrex system that includes the charger/inverter, display and auto gen start.  Once our generator auto started while we were on the road due to low house battery voltage.  Turned out we had a Trombetta solenoid failure (one of three or four failures) which meant our house batteries weren't being charged from the engine alternator.

Also I have ours set up to auto start the generator on the basis of a thermostat setting.  If we're boondocking in hot weather and will be away from the coach for several hours, I'll set the AC thermostat to 78 degrees and set the generator thermostat to about 80 or 82 degrees.  When the generator thermostat trips, the genny starts and then two minutes later the air conditioner comes on.

I have had problems with the generator auto starting on a false low battery condition once in a great while in spite of installing the latest Xantrex firmware.

A great feature of at least the Xantrex auto gen start (maybe Onan's Energy Command as well) is the monthly exercise feature.  Every month the genny will start and run for 30 minutes and shut down.  You can configure quiet hours so the genny will not auto start during those defined hours.

Here's my article on the installation.

I have the Onan ECW30 and had a few issues initially with it loosing communication between the generator module and the hand controller. Installed early 2009, shortly after they announced the product. Onan confirmed thay had had some issue prmarily with Winnebagos they assumed due to more metal in the construction. Their solution was to move the generator module to the one place generator controls. Sine I relocated it there I have never had another issue. Never had any unintentional starts. It will start from battery voltage, low temperature and high temperature.
I use it much like John does to start and stop the generator for the pups when away form the motorhome in the summer.

yoda2405 said:
I have the Onan ECW30 and had a few issues initially with it loosing communication between the generator module and the hand controller. Installed early 2009, shortly after they announced the product. Onan confirmed thay had had some issue prmarily with Winnebagos they assumed due to more metal in the construction. Their solution was to move the generator module to the one place generator controls. Sine I relocated it there I have never had another issue. Never had any unintentional starts. It will start from battery voltage, low temperature and high temperature.
I use it much like John does to start and stop the generator for the pups when away form the motorhome in the summer.

Excellent to hear!

I got a quote from one of my favorite RV repair/mod places in Bend, OR, Coachmasters, to install the Onan ECW30 for around $500 with parts and labor. Thinking I will go for it. They say that they've installed several, and that they worked great when they tested them.

We have three Papillons that we'll need to keep the camper cool for, too.

Chris Shaker

I purchased direct from Onan and installed myself, was not difficult after obtaining the correct cabling. Onan had the wrong gender on some of the plugs to connect to existing circuitry. As I said it was early on and guess some issues with first production.
The bigger issue I had was the loosing communication between the remote and the generator interface. I would ask them where they are installing the generator interface module, all the connections you need are available in the One place. It has worked correctly after relocating from the storage bin in front of the generator. I used double back tape and installed in the wall below the one place. There was a grill at the floor below the One Place and I worked thorugh that opening to mount the module after removing the One Place panel and connecting it and lowering it down the inside of the wall.

The Onan EC30W does work with the KY Quiet LP generator, I don't see the small diesel generator listed. I had one installed at GNR this week in my Adventurer with Marquis Gold 5500 generator. Install was free, came to $539 with tax in IA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom