Useful life of a class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammer

What do you consider the useful life of the better quality class A motorhomes to be?  What is the limiting factor in the life of a coach (roof, exterior, chassis, etc)?

The useful life of any RV is determined solely by how well it's maintained. There are still quite a few Class A's built in the 70's in regular use. That said, the models built on a converted bus shell probably require the least body maintenance. Prevosts and Bluebirds come to mind in that category. Diesel engines typically outlast gas engines, but again, maintenance is big factor.

I was in a campground several months ago and ran into a guy who had a 1976 Allegro that he had redone, remodeled and virtually rebuilt. I also seen a early 70's Dodge Van Camper in Myrtle Beach earlier this year.

I have a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain and it runs better than my friends 2004 motorhome in fact his RV has been in the shop tree times this year...I plan on keeping mine as long as I'm on this earth

jay317 said:
I  been in the shop tree times this year...I plan on keeping mine as long as I'm on this earth
LOL, tree times. Quick fingas! opps.. mine is an '88, only uses gas!
J

[quote author=Jammer]
What do you consider the useful life of the better quality class A motorhomes to be? 
[/quote]

I hoping it's at least 14 years and 2 months.

I'm starting a one month trip with a Bounder that turned 14 this week.

OOOPS!  I just saw the words "better quality Class A", ignore my comments ;)

NY_Dutch said:
The useful life of any RV is determined solely by how well it's maintained.

^^ That.  Otherwise there's no across-the-board answer to the question.  I still see many "oldies but goodies" out there on the road and in CG's (heck, mine is becoming one! ;)) so I don't think there's any single component that universally fails after "X" number of years.

I am hoping the useful life of my motorhome = my lifetime + 1 day.  As previously stated, it all comes down to care, operation and maintenance. For both sides of the equation.

I guess I had understood that roof failure due to exposure to heat, ozone, etc., and delamination of the exterior walls would inevitably occur after a period of years, unless the rig is stored in a cool, dry place indoors.  I do realize that maintenance plays a role but we routinely advise noobs asking about 1990s era rigs to stay away.  Seems like a contradiction.

[quote author=Jammer ]
I do realize that maintenance plays a role but we routinely advise noobs asking about 1990s era rigs to stay away.  Seems like a contradiction.
[/quote]

Who you calling "we"?  I certainly don't think you speak for the forum, in general.

As the owner of a 1997 RV, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to "stay away" from 1990's era RVs.  We've had fewer problems in 14 years with our rig than many (most?) much newer ones.  We don't go back to the factory every year like some people do, just to get problems fixed :)

Just Lou said:
Who you calling "we"?  I certainly don't think you speak for the forum, in general.

I can go dig up links I suppose.  The forum gets a post every week or so of the form, "I am a n00b and found a hot deal on a 1992 Holiday Rambler.  Should I buy it?" and there are usually a series of negative replies.  To be sure the condemnation is not as swift and sure as when someone wants to pull a 30' trailer with a 3/4 ton truck but it's there all the same.

Jammer said:
I can go dig up links I suppose.  The forum gets a post every week or so of the form, "I am a n00b and found a hot deal on a 1992 Holiday Rambler.  Should I buy it?" and there are usually a series of negative replies. 

Your brush is a little too broad.

The typical post (where folks are warned to be leery) generally includes a statement like "it only has a few  soft spots in the floor/ceiling and a few leaks, but they've been fixed" or "it's been sitting for 3 years with out running the generator or engine" or "they are only asking $56K over low book".  You won't see any knowledgeable person here condemn a rig just because it was built in the '90s.

Just Lou said:
  You won't see any knowledgeable person here condemn a rig just because it was built in the '90s.
A lot of them will slam a rig if it does not have slides.
J

utahclaimjumper said:
A parallel argument would be "whats the useful life of the family car"??  Wide open question.>>>Dan

I think we could all agree that it would be unrealistic to expect a family car to remain useful after, say, 10-15 years, realizing that there are some people who will continue to drive them in a badly deteriorated condition after that point, and that there are always going to be some exceptional well-preserved examples.

I would also observe that, with Airstreams, based on my own observations, they're candidates for restoration, scrap, or repurposing after around 35 years, even if well cared for.  Both the interior and the outer shell are pretty much shot at that point, even if the systems have been maintained and the upholstery recovered.  Maybe class As last that long too but I suspect not because the roof and body are made of materials that won't last as long.

My DW's car i9s a 2001 that has 60,000 miles and runs and looks good. It will probably go another 60,000 at least and still look good. I will probably sell it at 100000 miles. It really shows very little wear, might have to replace the brake pedal rubber.

My 89 Silverado 1/2 ton has 308K on it and still gives great service every day. I bought my 98 American Tradition two years ago because it DID NOT have slides and was in very good condition.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom