EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Texas Gulf Coast to Maine  (Read 17061 times)

Billy Bob

• ---
Texas Gulf Coast to Maine
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
We are leaving the gulf Coast  Aug 1st our plan Arkanas-Tenn-kentucky- Ohio- Penn-New York- Vermont-New Hampshire Maine. We plan to stay in Maine area until the leaves start to change color then follow the color back down the east coast and take a southern route back to Texas. Any info on State Parks, Forest Ser, and COE Campgrounds and things to see on the way would be appreciated. We have only two stops on the way that are set in concreat US 127 Yard sale in Tenn. and Niagara Falls in New York
Thanks for any info Billy Bob   

onedcharette

Re: Texas Gulf Coast to Maine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
We are leaving the gulf Coast  Aug 1st our plan Arkanas-Tenn-kentucky- Ohio- Penn-New York- Vermont-New Hampshire Maine. We plan to stay in Maine area until the leaves start to change color then follow the color back down the east coast and take a southern route back to Texas. Any info on State Parks, Forest Ser, and COE Campgrounds and things to see on the way would be appreciated. We have only two stops on the way that are set in concreat US 127 Yard sale in Tenn. and Niagara Falls in New York
Thanks for any info Billy Bob

growing up in maine i can tell you that there are really 2 parts to maine... coast and the north or "county". both very different but both very nice to visit and see. the northern side of things has some rolling hills however anyone that has traveled I95 north of bangor on the interstate can attest to the "flat parts". the maine coast is rocky and not too many beaches.  leaf "peak" season for northern maine can be from the last week in sept. through the 1st week in oct so make note of that. it all depends on the weather. cold nights are key. if you do go through nh on the way back try and hit this hwy -  http://www.nhtourguide.com/tripreports/kancamagus_highway_new_hampshire.htm -..  my in-laws from texas came up and i took them through to see it during peak season. they were amazed at the views and colors.

good luck and enjoy. drop me a note at onedcharette@gmail.com if you have more detailed questions.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:42 AM »
Hey Bob, good to see you on this forum!  Your trip sounds great.  I am envious.  Looking forward to pictures and reports of your trip.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
Without wishing to tick off the New Englanders, the best fall colors are southern Vermont and NY. Driving across NY from east to west (Niagara region)  in early October should be spectacular in red and gold.  The exact timing for best color is unpredictable - it depends on night time temperatures and rainfall. Could be anywhere from last week of September to end of October. Then take I 81 south.

There isn't much in the way of COE or Forest Service parks in that region. PA has some, though. NY has a nice state park system, though some may already be closed for the season by then.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tbone

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »
I recommend seeing Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine, can spend a few days there and see all the sights, there are 2 KOAs near the park, not sure about other sites...
TBone
Fleetwood Expedition 40u, towing wrangler unlimited

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
     My best advice is for you to take your time, visit Tourist Centers, and ask people at the campgrounds.  We have RV'd extensively in New England for over 40 years.  The is just so much to see and do, but you will need pick your interests, as you won't have time to see it all.
     Gary, not to be argumentative, the very best colours are here in the Canadian Maritimes, where we have so much more hardwood forests, in particular maple which produces all those shades of red leaves, so with their proximity, I'd say the White Mountains or the Adirondacts would be the closest in the US.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Looking for a campground in USA with in 75 miles of Niagara Falls public or private any suggestions?

Ed we will visit Nova Scotia plan to spend  a week or 10 days any info would be appreciated

Billy Bob

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
          Gary, not to be argumentative, the very best colours are here in the Canadian Maritimes, where we have so much more hardwood forests, in particular maple which produces all those shades of red leaves, so with their proximity,

Ed

Not to take sides, but I have to agree with Ed, but some might say I'm biased.  All those maples mixed with the yellow leaves from birch.  To be fair, outside the Maritimes in the fall, I've only seen North East Maine, and that's because we can see it across the St. John River from North West New Brunswick.

I'd say the White Mountains or the Adirondacts would be the closest in the US.
Basically, the Appalachian Mountains.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:56:26 PM by Marc L »
Marc...

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Suffering through this miserably hot weather boiling up from Texas and spreading northeast, I'm inclined to think you're starting your trip a several weeks late.  You ought to be in Maine RIGHT NOW!  But, I'm going to do much the same in September and travel from southwest Missouri to Custer State Park, et al, so I guess I should just say enjoy.

Oh yes, one of my favorite parks is Buckaloons Recreation Area Campground up near Warren, Pa.  Shady secluded camp sites on the Allegheny River.  It should be right on your way to Niagara Falls (or at least, could be).
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
Billy Bob,  What kind and length of RV unit? Vermont and New Hampshire State parks generally are good, but not for large rigs. When we lived in Vermont we took our 26ft travel trailer into quite a few state parks. When we bought our first DP it was 36ft+ and we still were able to "stuff" it into several state parks, but most were tight. I would not even consider our current 43 ft rig.

I lived in  Vermont for 10 years. One place I always recommend is Simon Pierce Glass blowing shop. Nice shop with local goods in addition to the glass. You can watch the glass pieces being made. Really nice restaurant with river views. You can also visit his Hydro Electric plant. Neat stop. Off I89 first exit in Vermont after I91 (heading northwest). Take Rt 4 west to Quechee. Right on Waterman Hill Rd, across the river (CAR ONLY, this is a covered bridge!) Left on Quechee Main St, but you are there.

Also if you are going further north, just a few miles off I89 near Waterbury is the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream plant on RT 100.

Burlington Vermont is neat little city on Lake Champlain. Just south of Burlington is the Shelburne Museum.

The colors best in northern Vermont/New Hampshire and southern Canada.
The Adirondacks are also beautiful. You can cross from Vermont to NY at the top of Lake Champlain via road or take one of several ferries across.

Also in NY on your way over to Niagara Falls are the Finger Lakes. This is wine country and very beautiful.  I particularly like Seneca lake. Sampson State park is on the lake and reportedly very nice, but I have never stayed there. We stayed at Clute Memorial Park and campground (near Watkins Glen).

Can't help with Niagara, we stayed in some standard fare commercial park - just a place to use as a base.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
    Billy Bob, as our tourism ad on TV just asked "when are you coming" ?  The drive down through the Saint John River Valley is beautiful, we just drove it yesterday on our way back from Montreal.  Fundy National Park, St Martins are pretty places and RV friendly.  If the weather is warm, Parlee Beach near Shediac is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to.  Then into NS, you've got Springhill with a coal mine tour or the Ann Murray Museum, then onto fossils at Joggins, Halifax with all it has to offer as an old style seaport, the Annapolis Valley including Habitation Port Royal (2nd oldest permanent settlement in North America).  Or Cape Breton with its highlands that are gorgeous at any time, but during colour season, offers one of the best views anywhere.
   Those are just a few things to highlight, do a search in the Trip Logs, as several Forum embers have provided detailed reports on their trips here.  But, Marc or I would be pleased to provided any specifics, all you need to do is ask, he is in Saint John, and I flip between our cottage in Shediac, and home in Halifax.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Scobey

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
Eveyone is talking about the leaves up north. We haven't been there with the MH ....yet.

We did make a trip that took us through Arkansas and stayed at a nice State Park in SE corner of the state - Lake Chicot. They said it was unusual, but they had a power failure in the town (Lake Village) that fouled up the water testing wo we had to use bottled water or boil water whjile there but it still was a nice quiet little place.

Have fun

Rgds,

Scobey
Larry & Sharon Weaver
2010 Allegro 32BA
2011 Chevy Equinox as toad

Tampa, FL

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
With all the talks about heat in the US right now, makes me think it's a winter destination.  I'm fine with mid 80s here in the summer.
Marc...

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Again thanks everbody for the info.

Ed we are leaving the Texas coast Aug 1st so will be late Aug or 1st Sept when we go into Nova Scotia.
I pull a 30ft 5th wheel with a F250 P.S.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
On the road again tomorrow is the big day we leave for Maine We are excited about our new adventure
Hope that it gets cooler as we head north east. My old F 250 is so excited about the trip that I had to lock it in park to keep it form leaving tonight. Attached is our truck and trailer in our drive way

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:31:13 AM »
Billy Bob,

Not sure how fast you are traveling, or from where on the coast exactly, but Mufreesboro State Park north of Texarkana and hunt for diamonds, and Riverside RV Park in North Little Rock, right across from the Clinton Presidential Library, assuming you are heading up I-30 to pick up I-40.

Sounds like a great trip log starting!

Kim
(native Arkansan, wannabe Texan, currently Montanan)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Hello everbody sorry about not keeping up with my trip to Maine in 2011, had so much trouble with my lab top recording my trip and pictures that I just gave up untill I could get things organized. If its ok with the RV Forum Community I will start with the day we left on our trip Aug 1st 2011
The morning of Aug 1st I unlocked my old F250 and we headed from Sweeny, TX to Canton to spend two days at our friends Mike & Gloria's Horse Farm, continued tomorrow with photos I hope

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Aug 1st & 2nd 2012 We arrived at our friends Mike & Gloria's around 11am. they have a small horse farm at Canton, TX. We visited played games, just took it easy for two days resting up for a long trip to Little Rock, Ar.
First photo is of our rig in Mike's driveway, the 2nd of two of their favorite horses. We did not ride the horses, just toured their farm they have a very nice place here.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Aug 3 We were up early and on the road, want to take a short detour to Emory, TX. to pick up some East Texas peaches, plums & tomatoes. see photos. We turned NE to Texarkana and I 30 to Little Rock, Ark. were we plan to spend the night. We couldn't make very good time because of all the 18 wheelers some times the trucks were lined up as far as you could see.
Still we got to Little Rock early in the day so decided to drive on east on I 40. My DW looked in our Passport America book and found a nice sounding Campground in Dickson, Tn. the Tambark C. G. We got to the C G about 6pm, Its a good C. G.great for an over night just off I 40. We just drove through Ark. I know that there is a lot to see an do in Ark. But we have Res. in Crossville, Tn. for the 4th. After a long day today we plan to slow down an tour the different areas as we travel through.   

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with a trip report a year later.  ;D. Looking forward to additional installments.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with a trip report a year later.  ;D. Looking forward to additional installments.

Thanks jagneiner I will add installments as I can maybe some one going to Maine in late summer or fall to leaf peep will be able to gleam some info from our trip.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Aug. 4th We left Tambark C G this morning and stayed on I 40 to Crossville, Tn. and The Deer Run RV Park its a Passport America member, but they don't give the discount while the US 127 yard sale is going on, but that is OK as they were recommended to us and we were not disappointed. Deer Run is a very nice park with large sites, fullhookups, camp store at the office and a very pretty lake.
We got to Deer Run early so took off to the US 127 Yard sale. This is a large and long yard sale it starts on US 127 somewere north of Ohio and continues south of Tn. I don't know how many days it lasts they hold it every year. Any one interested can goolge US 127 Yard sale and get all the info. they want.
The attached pictures were taken of Deer Run RV Park, mostly around the beautiful lake that the campground surrounds. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
Aug. 4Th We toured the US 127 Yard Sale around Crossville, Tn. I won't post a lot of yard sales pictures, but this one is how the Highway looked both north & south of town. You could find just about anything you wanted if you looked long enough. People I talked to said that it would take two to three years to make all of the yard sale, some have been coming here for years. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Aug 4Th After spending a few hours at the US 127 Yard Sale we needed a change of pace.
We drove over to the Burgers Falls State Natural Area, this park was recommended to us as a very scenic area.
After parking a sign pointed out a 1 & 1/2 mile round trip to Burgers Falls the trail would pass by 3 other smaller falls on the way to a look out of Burgers Falls I thought only one & a half miles no problem, but DW said remember you aren't 20 any more. Any way the trail looked like it would be a easy walk. We started out and after about 1/4 mile the trail turned to some steep stairs my wife said far enough Iam going back to the parking lot & wait for you. I said OK at bottom of the stairs if the trail is not too bad I will go on to the falls.
At the bottom of the stairs it was about 30 yards to a turn in the trail and after the turn a flood had washed out the trail really bad. I looked at the washed out trail and the tangled tree roots looked bad. but hey I had to be more than half way to the big falls and I didn't want to turn back. So off I went through the tangled roots after another 50 yards I decided that my wife was right I wasn't 20 any more and turned back. Tired and give out by the time I got back to the truck, but I did get a few good pictures of the Falling Water River and 3 of the falls. The Falls Trail would be a easy hike if the trail is rebuild and you are closer to 20 than Iam.       

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Aug 5Th We drove north on US 127 to Pall Mall, Tenn. Stopped at several of the yard sales along the way, but the main reason for going to Pall Mall was this small town is the home town of Sgt Alvin York. He won the Congressional Metal of Honor and a host of other medals during World War 1.
Sgt York tried to reinlist for service in WW 2, but his health was poor, and it was determed that his efforts were best utilized on the home front. He was home for fewer than 8 weeks during WW 2, his time was spent traveling the US for the Signal Corps, rallying troops and encouraging enlistment.
We visited Sgt York's farm & grave and other memorials to him. If in this area of Tenn. don't miss this little town of Pall Mall. Sgt York was a real hero in many ways.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
Neat!
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
Very cool.  I remember watching the Sgt York movie on 8mm (or maybe even 16mm) as a kid.  I think we might even still have that film somewhere around the house. 
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
Aug 6Th Our plans for today were to head east to Clinton, Tenn. Then turn north on I 75 to London, Kentucky and Levi Jackson State Park.
Well things don't always go as planned at Clinton we dropped a brake pad not good, but we were also lucky just out side of Clinton on US441 a few miles was The Fox Inn RV Park a Good Sam Park, so we limped into the Fox Inn. Got a site and parked our trailer. The Park Host told us of a Ford Dealer a few miles away,so I was off to the Ford House. When they checked out the damage of course the brake disk was bad. Now we are stuck in the RV Park until brake repairs can be made to our truck.
The Fox Inn RV park is a nice Park not much to do except wait for the Ford Dealer to call when repairs were complete. Fox Inn would be a nice park for a night or two if you wanted to tour the area, but we will only tour the RV Park.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Been going great.  Just carrying on.  Got my RV out of the shop after the triple blow-out, now waiting for a good weekend to get back out in it.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

Hosted by Over The Network