EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Texas Gulf Coast to Maine  (Read 17189 times)

Billy Bob

• ---
Texas Gulf Coast to Maine
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
We are leaving the gulf Coast  Aug 1st our plan Arkanas-Tenn-kentucky- Ohio- Penn-New York- Vermont-New Hampshire Maine. We plan to stay in Maine area until the leaves start to change color then follow the color back down the east coast and take a southern route back to Texas. Any info on State Parks, Forest Ser, and COE Campgrounds and things to see on the way would be appreciated. We have only two stops on the way that are set in concreat US 127 Yard sale in Tenn. and Niagara Falls in New York
Thanks for any info Billy Bob   

onedcharette

Re: Texas Gulf Coast to Maine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
We are leaving the gulf Coast  Aug 1st our plan Arkanas-Tenn-kentucky- Ohio- Penn-New York- Vermont-New Hampshire Maine. We plan to stay in Maine area until the leaves start to change color then follow the color back down the east coast and take a southern route back to Texas. Any info on State Parks, Forest Ser, and COE Campgrounds and things to see on the way would be appreciated. We have only two stops on the way that are set in concreat US 127 Yard sale in Tenn. and Niagara Falls in New York
Thanks for any info Billy Bob

growing up in maine i can tell you that there are really 2 parts to maine... coast and the north or "county". both very different but both very nice to visit and see. the northern side of things has some rolling hills however anyone that has traveled I95 north of bangor on the interstate can attest to the "flat parts". the maine coast is rocky and not too many beaches.  leaf "peak" season for northern maine can be from the last week in sept. through the 1st week in oct so make note of that. it all depends on the weather. cold nights are key. if you do go through nh on the way back try and hit this hwy -  http://www.nhtourguide.com/tripreports/kancamagus_highway_new_hampshire.htm -..  my in-laws from texas came up and i took them through to see it during peak season. they were amazed at the views and colors.

good luck and enjoy. drop me a note at onedcharette@gmail.com if you have more detailed questions.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:42 AM »
Hey Bob, good to see you on this forum!  Your trip sounds great.  I am envious.  Looking forward to pictures and reports of your trip.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
Without wishing to tick off the New Englanders, the best fall colors are southern Vermont and NY. Driving across NY from east to west (Niagara region)  in early October should be spectacular in red and gold.  The exact timing for best color is unpredictable - it depends on night time temperatures and rainfall. Could be anywhere from last week of September to end of October. Then take I 81 south.

There isn't much in the way of COE or Forest Service parks in that region. PA has some, though. NY has a nice state park system, though some may already be closed for the season by then.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tbone

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »
I recommend seeing Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine, can spend a few days there and see all the sights, there are 2 KOAs near the park, not sure about other sites...
TBone
Fleetwood Expedition 40u, towing wrangler unlimited

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
     My best advice is for you to take your time, visit Tourist Centers, and ask people at the campgrounds.  We have RV'd extensively in New England for over 40 years.  The is just so much to see and do, but you will need pick your interests, as you won't have time to see it all.
     Gary, not to be argumentative, the very best colours are here in the Canadian Maritimes, where we have so much more hardwood forests, in particular maple which produces all those shades of red leaves, so with their proximity, I'd say the White Mountains or the Adirondacts would be the closest in the US.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Looking for a campground in USA with in 75 miles of Niagara Falls public or private any suggestions?

Ed we will visit Nova Scotia plan to spend  a week or 10 days any info would be appreciated

Billy Bob

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
          Gary, not to be argumentative, the very best colours are here in the Canadian Maritimes, where we have so much more hardwood forests, in particular maple which produces all those shades of red leaves, so with their proximity,

Ed

Not to take sides, but I have to agree with Ed, but some might say I'm biased.  All those maples mixed with the yellow leaves from birch.  To be fair, outside the Maritimes in the fall, I've only seen North East Maine, and that's because we can see it across the St. John River from North West New Brunswick.

I'd say the White Mountains or the Adirondacts would be the closest in the US.
Basically, the Appalachian Mountains.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:56:26 PM by Marc L »
Marc...

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Suffering through this miserably hot weather boiling up from Texas and spreading northeast, I'm inclined to think you're starting your trip a several weeks late.  You ought to be in Maine RIGHT NOW!  But, I'm going to do much the same in September and travel from southwest Missouri to Custer State Park, et al, so I guess I should just say enjoy.

Oh yes, one of my favorite parks is Buckaloons Recreation Area Campground up near Warren, Pa.  Shady secluded camp sites on the Allegheny River.  It should be right on your way to Niagara Falls (or at least, could be).
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
Billy Bob,  What kind and length of RV unit? Vermont and New Hampshire State parks generally are good, but not for large rigs. When we lived in Vermont we took our 26ft travel trailer into quite a few state parks. When we bought our first DP it was 36ft+ and we still were able to "stuff" it into several state parks, but most were tight. I would not even consider our current 43 ft rig.

I lived in  Vermont for 10 years. One place I always recommend is Simon Pierce Glass blowing shop. Nice shop with local goods in addition to the glass. You can watch the glass pieces being made. Really nice restaurant with river views. You can also visit his Hydro Electric plant. Neat stop. Off I89 first exit in Vermont after I91 (heading northwest). Take Rt 4 west to Quechee. Right on Waterman Hill Rd, across the river (CAR ONLY, this is a covered bridge!) Left on Quechee Main St, but you are there.

Also if you are going further north, just a few miles off I89 near Waterbury is the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream plant on RT 100.

Burlington Vermont is neat little city on Lake Champlain. Just south of Burlington is the Shelburne Museum.

The colors best in northern Vermont/New Hampshire and southern Canada.
The Adirondacks are also beautiful. You can cross from Vermont to NY at the top of Lake Champlain via road or take one of several ferries across.

Also in NY on your way over to Niagara Falls are the Finger Lakes. This is wine country and very beautiful.  I particularly like Seneca lake. Sampson State park is on the lake and reportedly very nice, but I have never stayed there. We stayed at Clute Memorial Park and campground (near Watkins Glen).

Can't help with Niagara, we stayed in some standard fare commercial park - just a place to use as a base.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
    Billy Bob, as our tourism ad on TV just asked "when are you coming" ?  The drive down through the Saint John River Valley is beautiful, we just drove it yesterday on our way back from Montreal.  Fundy National Park, St Martins are pretty places and RV friendly.  If the weather is warm, Parlee Beach near Shediac is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to.  Then into NS, you've got Springhill with a coal mine tour or the Ann Murray Museum, then onto fossils at Joggins, Halifax with all it has to offer as an old style seaport, the Annapolis Valley including Habitation Port Royal (2nd oldest permanent settlement in North America).  Or Cape Breton with its highlands that are gorgeous at any time, but during colour season, offers one of the best views anywhere.
   Those are just a few things to highlight, do a search in the Trip Logs, as several Forum embers have provided detailed reports on their trips here.  But, Marc or I would be pleased to provided any specifics, all you need to do is ask, he is in Saint John, and I flip between our cottage in Shediac, and home in Halifax.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Scobey

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
Eveyone is talking about the leaves up north. We haven't been there with the MH ....yet.

We did make a trip that took us through Arkansas and stayed at a nice State Park in SE corner of the state - Lake Chicot. They said it was unusual, but they had a power failure in the town (Lake Village) that fouled up the water testing wo we had to use bottled water or boil water whjile there but it still was a nice quiet little place.

Have fun

Rgds,

Scobey
Larry & Sharon Weaver
2010 Allegro 32BA
2011 Chevy Equinox as toad

Tampa, FL

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
With all the talks about heat in the US right now, makes me think it's a winter destination.  I'm fine with mid 80s here in the summer.
Marc...

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Again thanks everbody for the info.

Ed we are leaving the Texas coast Aug 1st so will be late Aug or 1st Sept when we go into Nova Scotia.
I pull a 30ft 5th wheel with a F250 P.S.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
On the road again tomorrow is the big day we leave for Maine We are excited about our new adventure
Hope that it gets cooler as we head north east. My old F 250 is so excited about the trip that I had to lock it in park to keep it form leaving tonight. Attached is our truck and trailer in our drive way

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:31:13 AM »
Billy Bob,

Not sure how fast you are traveling, or from where on the coast exactly, but Mufreesboro State Park north of Texarkana and hunt for diamonds, and Riverside RV Park in North Little Rock, right across from the Clinton Presidential Library, assuming you are heading up I-30 to pick up I-40.

Sounds like a great trip log starting!

Kim
(native Arkansan, wannabe Texan, currently Montanan)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Hello everbody sorry about not keeping up with my trip to Maine in 2011, had so much trouble with my lab top recording my trip and pictures that I just gave up untill I could get things organized. If its ok with the RV Forum Community I will start with the day we left on our trip Aug 1st 2011
The morning of Aug 1st I unlocked my old F250 and we headed from Sweeny, TX to Canton to spend two days at our friends Mike & Gloria's Horse Farm, continued tomorrow with photos I hope

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Aug 1st & 2nd 2012 We arrived at our friends Mike & Gloria's around 11am. they have a small horse farm at Canton, TX. We visited played games, just took it easy for two days resting up for a long trip to Little Rock, Ar.
First photo is of our rig in Mike's driveway, the 2nd of two of their favorite horses. We did not ride the horses, just toured their farm they have a very nice place here.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Aug 3 We were up early and on the road, want to take a short detour to Emory, TX. to pick up some East Texas peaches, plums & tomatoes. see photos. We turned NE to Texarkana and I 30 to Little Rock, Ark. were we plan to spend the night. We couldn't make very good time because of all the 18 wheelers some times the trucks were lined up as far as you could see.
Still we got to Little Rock early in the day so decided to drive on east on I 40. My DW looked in our Passport America book and found a nice sounding Campground in Dickson, Tn. the Tambark C. G. We got to the C G about 6pm, Its a good C. G.great for an over night just off I 40. We just drove through Ark. I know that there is a lot to see an do in Ark. But we have Res. in Crossville, Tn. for the 4th. After a long day today we plan to slow down an tour the different areas as we travel through.   

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with a trip report a year later.  ;D. Looking forward to additional installments.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with a trip report a year later.  ;D. Looking forward to additional installments.

Thanks jagneiner I will add installments as I can maybe some one going to Maine in late summer or fall to leaf peep will be able to gleam some info from our trip.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Aug. 4th We left Tambark C G this morning and stayed on I 40 to Crossville, Tn. and The Deer Run RV Park its a Passport America member, but they don't give the discount while the US 127 yard sale is going on, but that is OK as they were recommended to us and we were not disappointed. Deer Run is a very nice park with large sites, fullhookups, camp store at the office and a very pretty lake.
We got to Deer Run early so took off to the US 127 Yard sale. This is a large and long yard sale it starts on US 127 somewere north of Ohio and continues south of Tn. I don't know how many days it lasts they hold it every year. Any one interested can goolge US 127 Yard sale and get all the info. they want.
The attached pictures were taken of Deer Run RV Park, mostly around the beautiful lake that the campground surrounds. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
Aug. 4Th We toured the US 127 Yard Sale around Crossville, Tn. I won't post a lot of yard sales pictures, but this one is how the Highway looked both north & south of town. You could find just about anything you wanted if you looked long enough. People I talked to said that it would take two to three years to make all of the yard sale, some have been coming here for years. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Aug 4Th After spending a few hours at the US 127 Yard Sale we needed a change of pace.
We drove over to the Burgers Falls State Natural Area, this park was recommended to us as a very scenic area.
After parking a sign pointed out a 1 & 1/2 mile round trip to Burgers Falls the trail would pass by 3 other smaller falls on the way to a look out of Burgers Falls I thought only one & a half miles no problem, but DW said remember you aren't 20 any more. Any way the trail looked like it would be a easy walk. We started out and after about 1/4 mile the trail turned to some steep stairs my wife said far enough Iam going back to the parking lot & wait for you. I said OK at bottom of the stairs if the trail is not too bad I will go on to the falls.
At the bottom of the stairs it was about 30 yards to a turn in the trail and after the turn a flood had washed out the trail really bad. I looked at the washed out trail and the tangled tree roots looked bad. but hey I had to be more than half way to the big falls and I didn't want to turn back. So off I went through the tangled roots after another 50 yards I decided that my wife was right I wasn't 20 any more and turned back. Tired and give out by the time I got back to the truck, but I did get a few good pictures of the Falling Water River and 3 of the falls. The Falls Trail would be a easy hike if the trail is rebuild and you are closer to 20 than Iam.       

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Aug 5Th We drove north on US 127 to Pall Mall, Tenn. Stopped at several of the yard sales along the way, but the main reason for going to Pall Mall was this small town is the home town of Sgt Alvin York. He won the Congressional Metal of Honor and a host of other medals during World War 1.
Sgt York tried to reinlist for service in WW 2, but his health was poor, and it was determed that his efforts were best utilized on the home front. He was home for fewer than 8 weeks during WW 2, his time was spent traveling the US for the Signal Corps, rallying troops and encouraging enlistment.
We visited Sgt York's farm & grave and other memorials to him. If in this area of Tenn. don't miss this little town of Pall Mall. Sgt York was a real hero in many ways.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
Neat!
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
Very cool.  I remember watching the Sgt York movie on 8mm (or maybe even 16mm) as a kid.  I think we might even still have that film somewhere around the house. 
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
Aug 6Th Our plans for today were to head east to Clinton, Tenn. Then turn north on I 75 to London, Kentucky and Levi Jackson State Park.
Well things don't always go as planned at Clinton we dropped a brake pad not good, but we were also lucky just out side of Clinton on US441 a few miles was The Fox Inn RV Park a Good Sam Park, so we limped into the Fox Inn. Got a site and parked our trailer. The Park Host told us of a Ford Dealer a few miles away,so I was off to the Ford House. When they checked out the damage of course the brake disk was bad. Now we are stuck in the RV Park until brake repairs can be made to our truck.
The Fox Inn RV park is a nice Park not much to do except wait for the Ford Dealer to call when repairs were complete. Fox Inn would be a nice park for a night or two if you wanted to tour the area, but we will only tour the RV Park.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Been going great.  Just carrying on.  Got my RV out of the shop after the triple blow-out, now waiting for a good weekend to get back out in it.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
Ed Good to hear that your RV is repaired and ready to go. We watched Sgt York on TV not too long ago, I think you can still get it at some of the video stores.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
Aug 9th well we gave been here at Fox Inn now for 3 nights, hope to get a call from the Ford Dealer today, they had to get some parts in before they could finish the brakes.
Ford called about noon and said our truck was ready, so we were able to leave by 1pm. We called and got res at Levi Jackson SP in London,Kentucky Three days later than planned, but hay we are retired and on our way again . Shouldn't have any trouble making camp before dark.   

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
Still Aug 9Th we got to Leiv Jackson SP early evening So decided to check out the  Old Mc Hargkues Mill at the entrance to the park. Sign said Library of Millstones and they have a good collection of millstones, a pond and a Old Rock Millhouse. Interesting place stop and check out if in the area

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
The Levi Jackson SP Kentucky this park is nice FHU, Large sites, hiking trails just a very pretty park. A good place to stay while touring the area. We plan to be here 3 nights 9,10 & 11th. Good place to camp while touring the area we would stay here again.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
Aug 10th Levi Jackson S P First todayi we drove to Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, Ken., lots to do Carpenters Shop, Craft Stores etz. They have horse drawn wagon rides if you want to ride. We just walked around, shopped & took pictures, interesting place to spend a day or a few hours. We were only there for about 2 hours.
We want to visit a couple of near by state parks if we have time.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »
Aug 10th 2011 We toured Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. Cumberland is a beautiful park, a lot of water coming over the falls. They have a nice lodge, campgrounds with hookups, a campground along the river if your Rv isn't too big. Very nice Park I would stay here. We also toured General Burnside S P. they have a very nice camping area with hookups and a good looking Golf course if you are into to golf this would be a great park. I would stay here also. Maybe next time we are in this area we can camp for a few days in both parks.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
Aug 11 Another day touring the area fm Leiv Jackson SP. First to Culmberland Gap Nat. Historic Park. The visitor center was an interesting stop don't miss it. Its a beautiful drive to the top of the mountain, from the lookout you can into 3 states Next we went to Corbin, Kentucky to visit and eat at the Birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken or KFC as some people say. It was interesting and the Chicken was good as usual. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
Aug 11 After noon and we are full of Kentucky Fried Chicken as we travel to the Dr. Thomas Walker SHS, if you like history there is a lot here, nice picnic area and you can play miniature golf, kind out of the way but worth the trip.
Last but not least The Pine Mountain State Resort Park. The park as the name inplies is on top of Pine Mountain a pretty drive to the top and great views from some of the lookouts. A very good looking lodge close to the top didn't stay or eat there but did go in and look around nice. I was glad that we were not pulling our 5th wheel the road to the top was kind of steep and lots of cuves. The CG was nice and you could drive your RV to the campground. I just prefer to camp some were else.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
A few pictures of Pine Mountain State Resort Park

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
I'm assuming that was Aug 10. The 9/11 anniversary is tomorrow (Tues) and I expect to be leading our local retired guys club luncheon attendees in singing 'God Bless America'. It's a monthly event that always gives me goosebumps, but tomorrow has special meaning to us all. I hope I can keep myself composed.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm assuming that was Aug 10. The 9/11 anniversary is tomorrow (Tues) and I expect to be leading our local retired guys club luncheon attendees in singing 'God Bless America'. It's a monthly event that always gives me goosebumps, but tomorrow has special meaning to us all. I hope I can keep myself composed.

Tom all of the posts are from my 2011 trip to Maine. I started this in Aug 2011 as I started on the trip then my lab top messed up. Hope to finish it this time maybe the info. I post will help some one taking a trip to Maine. I kept a log as we went and that is what I am posting from now.
That retired guys club luncheon sounds great, I can't carry a tune but I do say God Bless America

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
Keep the updates coming, you've got a long way to Maine!
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
Keep the updates coming, you've got a long way to Maine!
Yes a long way and we enjoyed every mile. Aug 12th 2011 We moved on northward to Fort Boonesborough State park. We were at the park & set up camp early in the morning. So we drove to Frankford to visit the Kentucky Capital, the Capital Grounds were beautiful with all the flowers and the Floral Clock was outstanding, As you can see from the time on the Floral Clock we were there around noon time. After leaving the Capital we stopped for hamburgers before heading back to camp We are going to take it easy the rest of the evening.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Evening Aug 12 at Boonesborough State Park. Lots to do here at the Park it is a destnation park for a lot of campers. The Kentucky River runs through the park behind the Canpground. Attached some photos of the park
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:16:33 PM by Billy Bob »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Oops, apologies Billy, I wasn't paying attention.

BTW I've temporarily disabled attachments until we come up on the new server (should be quite soon).
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
Glad to see everthing up and running again Thanks Tom

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
Aug 13-11 Today we explore Boonesborough SP, the replica of the Old Fort Boonesborogh and the Kentucky River Museum are on the State Park grounds. The Boonesborough SP is kept nice and clean a great place to camp while touring the area. The camp sites are large, some open, some with trees. the park has hookups, a dump station and a large swimming pool. for those who like history don't miss the Museum. the river runs through the park behind the museum. We were in Kentucky for 5 days not long enough to do all we wanted maybe next time we can stay longer. But to stay with in our travel plan tomorrow we will head north into Ohio

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
Aug 14-11 Today we took I 75 to Covington, Ken. by passed Cincinnati, Ohio. Then on to Hueston Woods State Park NW of Cincinnati near Oxford, Ohio. We arrived & had camp set up by 1 pm, so decided to go to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. What a big disappointment, we had heard so much about Jungle Jim's, had read the reviews and ratings on the web sites. were told that this was the greatest destination store that you could find anywhere. Don't waste your time any Super Wal-Mart has much more to offer.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
Aug 15-11 Today we are going to explore Hueston Woods State Park, Jungle Jim's may not be a destination site but this state park is. The campsites are large & well kept with hookups a dump, a small store. laundry and on beautiful Hueston Woods Lake, with lots of birds for my wife to feed mostly Canadian Geese. The list of amenities long, beach, marina, boat rental, Nat. Center, lodge & cabins, mtn bike trails, golf course, Horseman's camp and horse rental. We wouldn't have found this park except we were looking for a park near Jungle Jim's and we found a jem. A plus for Ohio State Parks they are members of Passport America and 1/2 price for members.   

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
Aug 16-11 We moved to Mohican Reservation Campground. (not affillated with any Indian Tripe) This is a Passport America Park it is a destination Park for a lot of Ohioans, Amenities include store, game room, camping cabins, an Indian Pow Wows in July and again in Sept. On the Mohican River they have Canoeing, rafting, tubing, fishing and river swimming. The campground is nice and well kept they have open and tree shaded sites, The mohican River ran just behind our site, also hookups an a dump A nice base camp to tour some of the Ohio Amish Country, which we plan to do tomorrow. I can get only one photo to download??

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
Aug 17-11 Today we toured a small part of the Ohio Amish Country, stopped at a lot of roadside craft shops, some fruit markets, The Amish grow a lot of beautiful and tasty fruit and we took a sack full back to our camp. We stopped and shopped at the Guggisberg Cheese Factory, love their cheese. they have a very nice Restaurant, The Chalet in the Valley we didn't there wrong time of the day,but the menu looked good and if the restaurant food is as good as their cheese it would be great, The Amish are good with food and crafts of all kinds. Tomorrow we will see Lake Erie for the first time.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
Aug 18-11 Today we are going to Conneaut, Ohio in the north eastern corner of Ohio. Conneaut sits on Lake Erie so we will have our first view of one of the Great Lakes on this trip. We have res. at the Evergreen Lake Park, the park is nice a PA member we would stay here again. We hope to be there early we left Mohican campround at 7 am and arrived at Evergreen at 11 am, set up camp, ate lunch and headed out for our first look at Lake Erie We spent most of the evening at The port pf Conneaut, driving & walking around. Just enjoying the views of Lake Erie and taking pictures. We enjoyed the view of the Conneaut Lighthouse, the sand beach, piers, boats and all the birds around the port.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
Aug 19-11 We picked up a list of covered bridges in the north eastern Ohio. There are 17 bridges on the list most in Ashtabula County. We are going to find & drive across as many as we can. We found 9 of the 17 bridges. Here is a list of the bridges that we found, State Road Bridge spans Conneaut Creek, Creek Road Bridge spans Conneaut Creek, Harpersfield Bridge spans Grand River longest covered bridge in Ohio, Riverdall Bridge spans Grand River, Mechanecsville Road Bridge longest single span covered bridge in Ashtabula County spans Grand River Graham Road Bridge  originally spanned Ashtabula River now in a roadside park, Cain Road Bridge spans Ashtabula River, Doyle Road Bridge spans Mill Creek, Middle Road Bridge spans Conneaut Creek and Root Road Bridge spans west branch of Ashtabula River. I just love the old covered bridges. We had a lot of fun hunting down the bridges and taking pictures. A lot of Amish live in this area of Ohio we stopped and shopped in Amish Stores, craft shops and fruit stands and took pictures, Ashtabula County holds an annual Covered Bridge Festival the second full weekend October. The Cover Bridges are decorated and hosted by volunteers to greet you and answer  your questions. Maybe someday  we can make it back in October for the Festival. Was late when we make it back to camp, tired but really enjoyed the bridges and Amish Country

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »
Some more of the Covered Bridges of Ohio

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
And last but not least The Harpersfield Bridge

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Aug 20-11 We were up early and on our way, next stop Niagara Falls, NY. Our route was I 90 through Pennsylvania at the NY state line we switched to US 20 to avoid I 90 as it's a toll road in NY. We will be staying in Niagara Hartland Resort Park at Gasport, NY it's only about 160 miles from Conneaut, Ohio to Gasport, NY. We arrived at our camp site before noon. After setting up camp eating a bit we were off to Niagara Falls 25 miles west of Gassport.Today we just drove around to get our bearings and see where we wanted to go tomorrow. We did stop at Niagara Falls State Park and walk around looking over the falls. Today we are trying too get our directions around Niagara Falls and decide on a plan for tomorrow. What a fabulous place can hardly wait till tomorrow to get back earlier in the day. Hartland is a nice RV Park and another Passport American CG which means 1/2 price. With the price of diesel I can use the discount at these parks

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Aug 21-11 Back at the Falls early today, plan to spend most of the day in and around the Falls. We stopped at the Niagara Gorge Discovery Center, don't miss this you can pick up a lot of info. on the Falls. We spent a couple of hours there reading about the history & looking at old pictures of the Falls. Next stop the Niagara Falls State Park this is the oldest State Park in America. We parked in a parking lot there at the park expensive but the closes  place to park, so worth the price. We looked & shopped in some of the park stores lots to see and do here. After spending our money we walked and took pictures along the trail by the Niagara River above the American Falls. The river is very very swift if you fall in you are going over the falls, guess that is why there are hand rails along the river bank. our next stop the Observation Tower it is well worth the cost. great views of the falls and the surounding area. We left Niagara Falls SP around 3:30 pm and drove east on NY 18 along the shore of Lake Ontario hoping to get some good views of the lake. but even though the Hy was only 1/8 mile or less from the lake, we didn't find many places that were open to the lake. At Olcott, NY we found the Olcott Lighthouse it sets at the end of the town's main street on the lake shore. We didn't see much of Lake Ontario but still enjoyed the drive. We were back at Niagara Hartland Park before dark today.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Aug 22-11 Another day at Niagara Falls so much to do and so little time. Today we went to Niagara Falls Ontario. We crossed over the Niagara River downstream of the falls. There is a lot of attractions on the Niagara Parkway going along the river to Niagara Falls. We stopped and rode the Whirlpool Aero Car over the whirlpool area of the Niagara River, some very good views from the car, good place to take pictures. Next stop was the Butterfly Conservatory sure lots of different butterfly's here Spent an hour or so there DW loves butterfly's. You can get up close to the beautiful Horseshoe Falls on this side.The Horseshoe Falls are 2/3s in Ontario and 1/3 in NY. From Ontario you can view all the Niagara Falls, The Horseshoe. Bridal Veil and American plus Goat Island spectacular. We were told not to mess the Skylon Tower and Restaurant . And this is one place you don't want to miss at Niagara Falls. This tower is 775ft above the falls, it revolves around completely in a hour, the menu is good but is more than rivaled by the spectacular view.  The view from the Skylon Towser is the best you will find of the falls and surrounding area & don't forget your camera. We stayed until 9 pm to see the light show at the falls, it was good but didn't get any good pictures of the lights.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
Dang Bill, you got some really nice shots.  No matter how many times you see pictures of Niagara Falls, someone will always come up with a different perspective.  You done good!
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
Thanks Ed a description or pictures just don't do justice to Niagara Falls kind of like The Red Woods or Grand Canyon

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
Aug 23-11 our last day at Niagara Falls today we went to both the NY and Ontario sides of the falls. Summertime in Niagara Falls NY is packed with free outdoor concerts, festivals and all kind of events. Most of today was spent on Goat Island there you have excess to Terrapin Point above the Horseshoe Falls, to the Cave of the Winds, Top of the Falls Restaurant, the Three Sisters Islands, Luna Island between the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls and the Rapids. We made all of them except Cave of the Winds and the Restaurant. Luna Island got its name because on full moon nights you used to be able to see moon bows. Since the flow over Bridal Veil has dropped the moon bows don't appear any more. But on sunny days you can see rainbows below the American & Bridal Veil Falls. Beautiful Niagara Falls is an experience that will last a life time. Wish that we could stay a few more days but the open road calls and we will leave tomorrow.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Aug 24-11 our plan was to spent tonight in The Adirondack Mt's. We were to take  NY 104 to Oswego, NY then NY 3 to Watertown and turn east to to the mountains. We were told that NY 3 was a scenic drive along the lake. After looking at the map I decided to turn north and drive the Lake Ontario State Parkway to Rochester, NY then back 104 an on to Oswego. The parkway was a mistake it was the worse road we had been on chuck holes so big that i couldn't drive 30 mph and it took US about 20 miles to find a way off of the parkway & back to 104. We missed the bypass an ended up on 104 through Oswego. Now the good part going up a hill on the narrow road we were flagged down by a lady who had just passed us. We stopped and she said that black smoke was coming from the back of our trailer. When i checked a tire was low & hot, we couldn't stop here  no place to pull off the road. After we topped the hill I saw a parking lot that I could get into. It was Kathy's Wings & Pizza. We had broken a spring shackle on the 5 th wheel we were here until our roadside service could make repairs. The people that owned the Pizza place were nice said we could stay as long as needed. I could not have moved anyway the trailer could not be towed. We have Good Sam ERS. they sent out a mobile repair man he made a list of needed parts & said he would be back tomorrow as soon as he found the parts. We ate Pizza that night.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 09:17:21 PM »
Aug 25-11 The mobile repairman showed up at 10:30 am. He is well equipped to do road side repairs an air compressor jacks and more tools than a lot of garages. By 1:30 pm he had us ready to hit the road again. Good Sam paid for the service call and the first hour of labor and we were  out $550.00, but we were just glad that the needed parts were found and installed this soon, just love Good Sam. Kathy's Wings & Pizza couldn't have treated us any better. If in Oswego NY stop by and have lunch, the food is good. They are located on corner of Maiden Ln. & NY 104.When the Mobile repairman left we thanked the owner of the pizza place and were on the road again. Our plan was to spent the night in the Adirondack Mt Park, didn't work out that way no res. so couldn't find a vacant camp site.This was our route Oswego NY 69 to Rome NY 365 to NY8 to Lake Pleasant in the Adirondack Mountains. It was about 9:30 pm and I gave up on a camground, looked at our old trusty map and decided to go on NY 8 into Warrenburg, NY and stay at their Super Wal-Mart. our first night at Wal-Mart on this trip.   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:20:14 PM by Billy Bob »

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
Aug 26-11 Up early and on the road to Marshville, Vermont to Groton Forest Roan Campground. Its a passport member and we called to make res. for two nights.Normally we wouldn't travel that far in a day but we want to makeup some of the time we have lost. Our route is I 87 to Glen Falls, NY then north on NY 22 to Whitehall, NY US 4 to Rutland, Vt US 4 Vt 100 Vt 107 then I 87 north to Montpeller US 2 to Marshville & Groton Forest Road CG. After setting up camp we turned on our TV to get the news we had not heard the news in a few days too busy just getting were we wanted to go. The first news we heard was about Hurricane Irene (not good) it is predicted to hit the middle of Vermont on the 28th with damaging winds and 10 to 12 in. of rain and here we sat in the middle of Vermont. The camper next to us said that after a 6 in. rain in May there was  about 20 in. of water in this campground. So tomorrow morning we will be headed west to northen NY. Never thought we would be running from a Hurricane in Vermont. Yes the Texas coast but not here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:10:38 PM by Billy Bob »

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Aug 27-11 WE were up early and on our way to northern NY We backed tracked to Montpellier, Vt. then I 89 to Burlington, VT. & on north on I 89 to Swenton, Vt. There we took VT 78 to US 2 to Champlain, NY At Champlain we stopped to eat and decide were we were going from there. The latest News said that the storm was tracking more in an eastern direction. So we felt good about staying in this area and started looking for a camp site The Asuable River Campsite in Keeseville was close and its a PA Park so we could camp for 1/2 price. I called for res. and they asked if we wanted a river site are on the hilltop. They said that the hilltop site was easy in and out. The hilltop site sounded good to me we just wanted a safe place to wait our the storm then back to Vermont.Its a nice park the sites are large, grass sites but on solid ground with FHU. Not many campers on the hilltop campground , most are in the river side sites. There are a lot of seasonal campers here. There is a nice swimming pool and Rec Hall in the River Campground its a nice day hope the storm misses here.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
Aug 28-11 This morning there is a slight mist and gloomy looking clouds. The news cast are now predicting that the storm is now tracking in a northwestern direction. We will just have to wait and see what happens.
By around 3 in the afternoon the rain showers are getting harder and more often. Around 5 pm the wind picked up and the rain was coming down pretty hard. At 6 pm I decided that we should go to Plattsburgh and get a motel room to ride out the storm. At the motel we watched TV news and all we heard about was the flooding in the middle parts of Vermont Still raining and some gust of wind when we went to bed around 12 midnight.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:40:31 AM by Billy Bob »

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Aug 29-11 Quite a lot of wind and rain last night but no problems here at the Motel. Around 9 am it had cleared off and the sun was out a nice day after the storm. We drove out to Asuable River CG to see how the trailer had weathered the storm. The road into the campground was covered with about 2ft of running water. I thought that our trailer would be flooded. DW was optimistic and said no we are up high enough and if we didn't get any wind damage we would be OK. Nothing we could do until the water ran down and we could get into the campground. To kill time while we waited for the water to run down. We drove to Keeneville and on to the Asuable River Chasm the Chasm is down stream of our CG. The Asuable River was churning and dangerest there, not out of its banks because the chasm is so deep here. We took a few pictures and on the way back to Asuable CG we stopped at a road side store at Rulf's Orchard, looked around and had one of their fried apple pies for lunch. By 2:30pm we couldn't wait any longer & went back to the campground road. Its still flooded but the water is receding,still too high to get into our trailer. I took a picture of the flooded road just wish that I had taken one this morning. We drove back to Plattsburgh and bought supplies at Wal Mart At 4:30 pm the road was passable and we got to our trailer it was high & dry no damage the flood had not gotten up in the hill top CG. The lower river CG was not so lucky. They had lost 19 RVs, 3 were washed down the river never to be seen again. PTL no lives were lost. Ever thing by the river was lost Rec Hall & swimming pool were no more.
I will give the Owner an AAAA rating for with their big 4 wheel drive truck they with help of two campers with big trucks pulled a lot of RVs up on the hill before the high water forced them to quit. I have attached photos of the hilltop CG with the RVs ever where, there were not any RVs here before the flood. They didn't have time to un hook any thing just hooked on to the trailers and took off so there was some damage as  water lines etz were broke as they moved to higher ground   

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
A lot of the seasonal campers were not in the CG when it flooded. Some of the campers in the River CG did not try to move their RVs, didn't think that it would flood until the local law ordered them to leave. By then it was too late for some. The water came up so fast, the owner said that from the time the river first topped its bank that it was only two hours and ever thing was under water. Sixteen RVs were flooded washed up against trees and each other three had washed down the river and never found. The CG Rec. Hall and swimming pool were a total lost the river just washed out ever thing in the lower CG. We felt so sorry for these people some lost ever thing and I don't know if the CG Owners will be able to rebuild. Attached are a few photos of the River CG showing some of the damage. The photos just don't show how bad it was.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
Wow.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Aug 30-11 We Think The Lord that we and our RV made it through the storm in good shape. Was sure glad we decided to stay in the Hilltop CG.Now we Just have to wait for the roads to be repaired and opened in Vermont and New Hamshire. The storm did much more damage than most people thought most of the roads in Vermont are closed because of washed out roads and bridges. The Vermont Visitor Center told us they didn't want anyone coming in until more of the roads were opened again. The Asuable River Campsite cosed after the flood, but said that we could stay as long as needed while waiting for road repairs.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
I 87 north is open so we decided to take a day trip to Montreal Ontario. Nothing we can do here the lower CG is still closed. No problem at the Canadian Border usual questions about guns & drugs looked at passports and sent us on our way. To me Montreal is just another big city we drove around and stayed lost most of
the time. We did stop at a big farmers market and bought some famous Canadian Maple Syrup and Maple candy. Interesting but quick trip. I was glad we had a GPS as it led us out of Montreal  and on our way to the USA.

On the way back we decided to detour into Vermont to their Welcome Center on US 2 near Alburgh, VT. to check on condition of the roads. They said that a lot of the roads were still closed and the few open were being used to haul in supplies. The Lady at the Center told US 2 and I 89 were open to Burlington, but most roads east were still bad.

We decided to drive US 2 to Grand Isle sounded like a good route. It was a beautiful drive we stopped at North Hero's to Look at the Welcome Center its in a road side store.  We ate a sandwich and headed back to Asuable CG will check with the Visitor Center late tomorrow on road conditions, when the roads open up we will go on to Maine, Vermont & New Hamshire will have to wait till later in our trip.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »
Aug 31-11 Most of today was spent at the CG. I had some damage to the trailer from the spring shackle that broke in NY and needed to make some repairs to keep the water out. The owners opened the Lower CG and said that we could go have a look if we wanted, we took a few pictures. The ones that we posted a few posts ago.

Late today we got word that US 2 was now open all the way to Maine. We will be heading east to Maine in the morning

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
Sept 1-11 Up early today and on our way, north to Champlain NY then US 2 & VT 78 to I 89. We stayed on I 89 to Montpelier, VT Then US 2 To Shelburne, NH We have res. for two nights at the White Birches Camping Park its a PA Park. Shelburne is just a few miles from the Maine New Hamshire border. It was only about 170 miles to Shelburne so we were there before noon. Today we cooked burgers at the CG. After lunch we back tracked to Gorham to so a little shopping for supplies at the Wal Mart we passed earlier in the day. Then drove north on NH 16 to Berlin, NH before returning to camp for the night. Tomorrow we will go south to explore in the White Mountain NF. The attached are a few photos of the Campground

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »
Sept. 2-11 today Friday we headed south on NH 16 to explore the White Mountain Nat. Forest. our first stop is at the Wildcat Mountain Tramway. The summit is 4062ft; Wildcat Nt is on the eastern edge of the White Mountain Nat Forest. If you look east from the summit below is the scenic Wild River Valley. Some good scenic views from the top of Wildcat Mt. We may do this again when we come back through NH.

Next we drove south through the Glen Ellis Falls Scenic area to Glen then west on NH 302 to Bartnett, NH and visited the Covered Bridge Gift Shoppe this gift store is inside of an old Covered Bridge just beside the Hy. interesting place. On our way back to Glen we stopped at a picnic area along the river, we could see the flood damage here some of the trail was washed out.And concrete picnic tables had all the soil washed away from under the tables. Flood damaged but still a scenic area All the roads were in good shape the ones that were damaged have been repaired.

At Glen we went south on NH 16 to North Conway and west on NH 112 to the Swift River Covered Bridge in White Mt. N F We have seen enough of this part of NH to know we will be back later in this trip when we have more time to explore. Back to N. Conway and there we found Peaches a great little Breakfast and sandwich shop on 2506 W Mt. Hwy (NH 16). We had gourmet sandwiches for lunch stop and eat here if you get the chance www.peachesnorthconway.com

On our way back to White Birches CG we drove north on Me 113 along the border to US 2 We checked out some NFS CGs along the border in NH. Kind of remote no hookups but nice if your RV isn't too big This part of NH is very scenic we will be back to leaf peek when the fall colors start. Tomorrow we are headed to the Maine Coast some were north of Bar Harbor, Me. Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise again.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Sept 3-11 today we are headed to Harrington, Me. and The Sunset Point Campground. We have res. for 4 days. Sunset Point is right in the Maine Coast we plan on exploring the Bar Harbor area then move futher north. We stayed on US 2 to Bangor Me. Then US 1 to Sunset Point CG at Harrington, Me. Sunset  Point is a very nice and well kept Campground. It is a small CG only about 23 sites a few with water & elect. only the rest with FHU., they have clean restrooms & showers (just didn't use them) and a small laundry which we did use. At the office are paper backs you can borrow or trade, DVD movies that rent for $ 1. The owners are great they will help you any way they can. We noticed a red box of tomatoes on the table in front of the office so we asked what they cost. The answer they are from our garden and are free to campers just take what you need don't be a hog. We had fresh tomatoes for sandwiches & salads during our stay here. Maine Lobster Boats come in about 1 1/2 miles from Sunset Point the  camp owner will pick them up and deliver them to your RV for you to cook or he will boil them for you. I know we will have to try the boiled lobster but I will let him boil them.

Our campsite is right on the Bay we can look out the back window of our RV right at the bay this is a very beautiful and scenic spot to camp Sunset Point is a PA Park so for members its $ 15 per night and they honor the discount for as long as you want to stay. We liked Sunset Point so much that we ended staying here two weeks and just taking day trips to explore  &  sight see instead of moving our RV ever 2 to 3 days. We spent most of this evening here at Sunset Point walking some of the rrails along the bay.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
Just a few more pictures at and around Sunset Point. The bay at the end of the road is were the lobster boats came in

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
Sept. 4-11 Sunday First thing this morning I ordered two small lobsters they Will be about 3 1/2 pounds each. The owner will pick them up at the dockcook them and deliver to our RV around 4 pm today $ 21.00 for both a great price.

We headed to Bar Harbor to look over the  town, shop a little and try to orientate our selves to the area.Bar Harbor is a great little tourist town, a small park downtown by their Harbor to relax in or picnic. Checked on whale watching tours and booked on the Atlantic Cat for Wed. Sept 7 we hope that the weather is good. the tour will be 7 to 8 hours.

Since Bar Harbor is in Acada Nat. Park we made a loop through the park and stopped at The Bass Head Lighthouse. The LH is maintained by the US Coast Guard and neither the Lighthouse nor Quarters are open to the public. But you can park in the lot and walk to the LH grounds it's a neat LH we took pictures and headed back to Sunset Point to try our first Maine Lobster.

The lobsters were delivered to us on Plates with nut crackers to crack the lobster with. I thought that they were good but DW didn't like them said that they were way too salty. We both like lobster baked or broiled much better. But hay we are in Maine and had to try their boiled lobster. After supper DW propped up her feet in the recliner and I took a short walk around the campground before dark.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
sorry just noticed that i posted the lobster photo twice

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »
Sept 5-11 Monday morning we are having trouble with our GPS so are heading to Best Buy in Bangor to return it  In Ellsworth we made a wrong turn and found a gem in this War Memorial for all Maine veterans. We were glad for that wrong turn. We walked around looked at all the memorials took pictures. The museum was closed but there  is a lot of history depleted on the grounds and a restored Covered Bridge. After about an hour we went on to Best Buy in Bangor this was the second time that we have returned our new GPS so guess we will go back to using our old one.

Out of Bangor we took Me. 9 to Cherryfield hoping to see some Maine wildlife or maybe a little color in the trees. We drove on some of the back roads late in the evening we were told that the back roads here was a good place to see moose. No luck on the moose and guess it's still too soon for the leafs to be turning A lot of driving today and didn't accomplish any thing that we started to do except return the GPS

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »
Sept 6-11 Tuesday, Today will be spent in Acadia Nat. Park. First stop Hulls Cove Visitor Center, we parked in the parking lot its 52 steps on the stair way to the visitor center was tiring on these old bones but worth it, lots of interesting exhibits. This is the place to began your exploration of Acadia we spent about an hour looking around picked up maps and info. on the park. We also picked up our park pass here the entry permit was free with our Golden Age Passport. We drove the Loop Road, stopped at Jordan Pond and checked out the Blackwood's Campground. It's a nice CG no hookups but spaces big enough to park our 30ft 5th wheel would be a good place to camp if you were going to spend a few days here to hike the trails. We made a stop at the Otter Cliffs some good views from the cliff. Our next stop on the loop road was Thunder Hole here the sea waves come in through a small opening in the hole and are pushed higher by the incoming waves if you are down on the lower part of the over look, you are going to get wet. The views along the loop are spectacular.

There are 57 miles of Carriage Roads build by John D Rockefeller Jr. You can hike them or ride your bicycle. Or you can take a ride on one of their Horse Carriages. Maybe sometime we can take a ride on one of their Horse Carriages just not enough time today.     

Next we drove up to the top of Cadillac Mt at 1532 ft it is the highest point along the North Atlantic Seaboard. Don't get caught up with the views on this winding scenic road wait until you reach the top as part of this road runs by some steep cliffs.If you were alone on top of Cadillac Mt. at daybreak from Oct. to March you would be the first to view the sunrise in the USA. When you stand at the view point looking east in front of you are Frenchman Bay with its several islands the views are spectacular from Cadillac Mt.

The mountain is named for Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac the frenchman who was granted possession of this island in the late 1600s by King Louis XIV. Later Cadillac founded Detroit, inspiring the name of the prestigious automobile.

This afternoon we drove up to Somesville then south a few miles on Me. 102 then cut over to Me 198. We have a picnic lunch with us and start looking for a picnic area after a few miles we just pulled to the side of the road and used our tailgate for a picnic table not the first time we used the tailgate. After lunch we drove along the coast on 198 to Southwest Harbor, Sea Cove, Bernard a very scenic drive. At Bass Harbor we hit Me 102 again, we stopped at Seawall CG and checked it our nice but too far from our planed route. We stayed on 102 back to Somesville then US 1 to our camp at Sunset Point. It was late when we got to camp and tomorrow will be a long day.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Sept 7-11 Wednesday Its 5:30 am and misting rain and some fog when we leave camp on our way to Bar Harbor, sure hope it clears up and the sun comes out. our Whale Watching tour is today on the AtiantiCat. We were on board by 6:15 am and the tour boat left on time at 6:30 am. Still a gloomy day hope it improves by the time we find the whales. The AtiantiCat Captain ran onto the first whales around 8 to 8:30 am. Its stopped raining but still a dark day with some fog not a good day for photos, but will see how they turn out. The Captain found two pods of whales the second one was the biggest we had whales all around the boat, some pretty close. We took lot of pictures , a few turned out ok the whales cooperated better than the weather never it never cleared enough for the sun to come out. We took a sack Lunch but never stopped long enough to eat until on The way to shore. We disembarked at Bar Harbor around 2 pm. We spend two or so hours looking in the many shops lots of different kind of shops some nice and some just tourist traps. Didn't buy anything couldn't afford anything that we found and wanted.It has rained off and on all day. We left for Sunset Point and our trailer around 4:30 pm

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
Sept. 8-11 Thursday, Today we head south west on US 1 at Cherryville we take Me. 182 this is a Maine scenic road and also a shortcut to Ellsworth. This is our normal route to Elsworth but today we are going to take our time and enjoy the scenic road & take a few photos. One area always has a lot of Canadian Geese today we stopped at a small lake when we saw two beavers swimming close the the road side. The beavers disappeared under the water before we could get pictures We took pictures of the lake and the geese.

Its only about 50 miles to Bucksport, Me. and Penobscot Narrows Bridge. Part of the Ft Knox State Park is under the bridge. The Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observation Tower crosses the Penobscot River near Bucksport it is 2120ft long. The Penobscot Narrows Observatory Tower is the first bridge observation tower in the United States and the tallest public bridge observation tower in the world the tower is 420ft above the bridge. The tower allows visitors to view the bridge, Ft Knox SP, the Penobscot River and  Bay and Bucksport, Me. The bridge, observation tower and Ft. Knox S P was one of our planed stops for to day.

We cross the bridge and enter Ft Knox S P the fee to the park and observation tower is $5 each a bargain. We park in the observation parking lot we have a 30 min. wait before getting on the elevator to the observation deck. The views from the observation deck are breath taking. Today is clear and the sun is shining we take many pictures none do justice to the views from up on the top of this tower. I would advise anyone in this area not to miss a trip to the top of this tower.

Next we go to the State Park Visitor Center to start our tour of Ft Knox. Fort Knox is one of the best preserved Forts on the New England Seacoast, there is a lot of history behind its cannon batteries. Fort Knox was established in 1844 to protect the Penobscot River Valley against a possible British navel incursion. Interesting old fort glad we stopped for a tour. 

Our next stop Camden Hills State Park about 30 miles southeast at Camden, Me. The park covers 5700 acres, lots of hiking trails, and a campground with water & elect. & a dump looks like a nice place to camp We drove to the 800ft summit of Mount Battie it overlooks Penobscot Bay, Camden Harbor and the town of Camden. From the look out there is sweeping views of the bay and Camden Harbor. I walked along the trail to Battie Tower and tool a lot of pictures. Very scenic views from the summit of Battie Mt. We don't do much hiking anymore but if you are into hiking there are a lot of trails that would give you views of the bay & seaboard. It was late afternoon when we left on our way back to camp we stopped close to the Penobscot Narrows ridge to take a few pictures from a different angle and with the sun about to set Been a long but enjoyable day.. 

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
Pictures at Penobscot Narrows Bridge

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
At Fort Knox State Park

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
Camden Hills State Park at Camden, Maine From top of Battie Mt.

Hosted by Over The Network