Texas Gulf Coast to Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jagnweiner said:
Nothing wrong with a trip report a year later.  ;D. Looking forward to additional installments.

Thanks jagneiner I will add installments as I can maybe some one going to Maine in late summer or fall to leaf peep will be able to gleam some info from our trip.

Aug. 4th We left Tambark C G this morning and stayed on I 40 to Crossville, Tn. and The Deer Run RV Park its a Passport America member, but they don't give the discount while the US 127 yard sale is going on, but that is OK as they were recommended to us and we were not disappointed. Deer Run is a very nice park with large sites, fullhookups, camp store at the office and a very pretty lake.
We got to Deer Run early so took off to the US 127 Yard sale. This is a large and long yard sale it starts on US 127 somewere north of Ohio and continues south of Tn. I don't know how many days it lasts they hold it every year. Any one interested can goolge US 127 Yard sale and get all the info. they want.
The attached pictures were taken of Deer Run RV Park, mostly around the beautiful lake that the campground surrounds. 

Attachments

• 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (4).jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (4).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (5).jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (5).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (1).jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (1).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (3).jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (3).jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (2).jpg
    8-4-11 Deer Run RV Park Tenn. Me trip Fm Kodak (2).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 5
Aug. 4Th We toured the US 127 Yard Sale around Crossville, Tn. I won't post a lot of yard sales pictures, but this one is how the Highway looked both north & south of town. You could find just about anything you wanted if you looked long enough. People I talked to said that it would take two to three years to make all of the yard sale, some have been coming here for years. 

Attachments

• 8-4-11 US Hy 127 garage Sale Crossville, Tenn Me. trip Fm Kodak 11 (2).jpg
    8-4-11 US Hy 127 garage Sale Crossville, Tenn Me. trip Fm Kodak 11 (2).jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 18
Aug 4Th After spending a few hours at the US 127 Yard Sale we needed a change of pace.
We drove over to the Burgers Falls State Natural Area, this park was recommended to us as a very scenic area.
After parking a sign pointed out a 1 & 1/2 mile round trip to Burgers Falls the trail would pass by 3 other smaller falls on the way to a look out of Burgers Falls I thought only one & a half miles no problem, but DW said remember you aren't 20 any more. Any way the trail looked like it would be a easy walk. We started out and after about 1/4 mile the trail turned to some steep stairs my wife said far enough Iam going back to the parking lot & wait for you. I said OK at bottom of the stairs if the trail is not too bad I will go on to the falls.
At the bottom of the stairs it was about 30 yards to a turn in the trail and after the turn a flood had washed out the trail really bad. I looked at the washed out trail and the tangled tree roots looked bad. but hey I had to be more than half way to the big falls and I didn't want to turn back. So off I went through the tangled roots after another 50 yards I decided that my wife was right I wasn't 20 any more and turned back. Tired and give out by the time I got back to the truck, but I did get a few good pictures of the Falling Water River and 3 of the falls. The Falls Trail would be a easy hike if the trail is rebuild and you are closer to 20 than Iam.     

Attachments

• 8-5-11 Falling Water River in Burgers Falls State Nat. Area.jpg
    8-5-11 Falling Water River in Burgers Falls State Nat. Area.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 8-5-11 Falling Water River in Burgers Falls State Nat. Area.jpg
    8-5-11 Falling Water River in Burgers Falls State Nat. Area.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-5-11View of the Falling Water River.jpg
    8-5-11View of the Falling Water River.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 8-5-11 Old Swinging Bridge on Falling Water River.jpg
    8-5-11 Old Swinging Bridge on Falling Water River.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-5-11 Middle Burgers Falls B F S N A.jpg
    8-5-11 Middle Burgers Falls B F S N A.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 8
Aug 5Th We drove north on US 127 to Pall Mall, Tenn. Stopped at several of the yard sales along the way, but the main reason for going to Pall Mall was this small town is the home town of Sgt Alvin York. He won the Congressional Metal of Honor and a host of other medals during World War 1.
Sgt York tried to reinlist for service in WW 2, but his health was poor, and it was determed that his efforts were best utilized on the home front. He was home for fewer than 8 weeks during WW 2, his time was spent traveling the US for the Signal Corps, rallying troops and encouraging enlistment.
We visited Sgt York's farm & grave and other memorials to him. If in this area of Tenn. don't miss this little town of Pall Mall. Sgt York was a real hero in many ways.

Attachments

• 8-5-11 Sgt Alivn York in World War 1 .jpg
    8-5-11 Sgt Alivn York in World War 1 .jpg
    201 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-5-11 Sgt Alivn York in World War 11.jpg
    8-5-11 Sgt Alivn York in World War 11.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-5-11 Sgt .Alvin York's Farm A Nat Historic Landmark Pall Mall, Tenn. Me trip fm Kodak.jpg
    8-5-11 Sgt .Alvin York's Farm A Nat Historic Landmark Pall Mall, Tenn. Me trip fm Kodak.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 8-5-11 Sgt York's grave site Pall Mall Tn.jpg
    8-5-11 Sgt York's grave site Pall Mall Tn.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-5-11 Sgt York's grave site Pall Mall, Tn. .jpg
    8-5-11 Sgt York's grave site Pall Mall, Tn. .jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 11
Very cool.  I remember watching the Sgt York movie on 8mm (or maybe even 16mm) as a kid.  I think we might even still have that film somewhere around the house. 

Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Aug 6Th Our plans for today were to head east to Clinton, Tenn. Then turn north on I 75 to London, Kentucky and Levi Jackson State Park.
Well things don't always go as planned at Clinton we dropped a brake pad not good, but we were also lucky just out side of Clinton on US441 a few miles was The Fox Inn RV Park a Good Sam Park, so we limped into the Fox Inn. Got a site and parked our trailer. The Park Host told us of a Ford Dealer a few miles away,so I was off to the Ford House. When they checked out the damage of course the brake disk was bad. Now we are stuck in the RV Park until brake repairs can be made to our truck.
The Fox Inn RV park is a nice Park not much to do except wait for the Ford Dealer to call when repairs were complete. Fox Inn would be a nice park for a night or two if you wanted to tour the area, but we will only tour the RV Park.

Attachments

• 8-9-11 Our Site at Fox Inn looks kind of lonely with out the red truck.jpg
    8-9-11 Our Site at Fox Inn looks kind of lonely with out the red truck.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 8-9-11 Fox Inn CG Clinton Tenn.jpg
    8-9-11 Fox Inn CG Clinton Tenn.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-9-11 Fox Inn has propane.jpg
    8-9-11 Fox Inn has propane.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-9-11 Fox Inn CG Clinton Tenn .jpg
    8-9-11 Fox Inn CG Clinton Tenn .jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-9-11 Fox Inn Campground Clinton Tenn .jpg
    8-9-11 Fox Inn Campground Clinton Tenn .jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 8-9-11 Fox Inn Office.jpg
    8-9-11 Fox Inn Office.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 10
Billy Bob said:
Hi Ed we have been kind of out of contact since RVpics folded. How have things been in your part of Texas?

Been going great.  Just carrying on.  Got my RV out of the shop after the triple blow-out, now waiting for a good weekend to get back out in it.

Ed Good to hear that your RV is repaired and ready to go. We watched Sgt York on TV not too long ago, I think you can still get it at some of the video stores.

Aug 9th well we gave been here at Fox Inn now for 3 nights, hope to get a call from the Ford Dealer today, they had to get some parts in before they could finish the brakes.
Ford called about noon and said our truck was ready, so we were able to leave by 1pm. We called and got res at Levi Jackson SP in London,Kentucky Three days later than planned, but hay we are retired and on our way again . Shouldn't have any trouble making camp before dark. 

Still Aug 9Th we got to Leiv Jackson SP early evening So decided to check out the  Old Mc Hargkues Mill at the entrance to the park. Sign said Library of Millstones and they have a good collection of millstones, a pond and a Old Rock Millhouse. Interesting place stop and check out if in the area

Attachments

• 8-9-11 McHargue's  Mill.jpg
    8-9-11 McHargue's Mill.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 8-9-11 McHargue's  Mill by Levi  Jackson S P (1).jpg
    8-9-11 McHargue's Mill by Levi Jackson S P (1).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 8-9-11 McHargue's Mill at entrance to Liev Jackson S  P Me trip Fm Nikon 11 (2).jpg
    8-9-11 McHargue's Mill at entrance to Liev Jackson S P Me trip Fm Nikon 11 (2).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8-9-11 McHargue's Mill  Me trip Fm Nikon 11 (3).jpg
    8-9-11 McHargue's Mill Me trip Fm Nikon 11 (3).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 8-9-11 McHargue's  Mill by Levi  Jackson S P (3).jpg
    8-9-11 McHargue's Mill by Levi Jackson S P (3).jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 8
The Levi Jackson SP Kentucky this park is nice FHU, Large sites, hiking trails just a very pretty park. A good place to stay while touring the area. We plan to be here 3 nights 9,10 & 11th. Good place to camp while touring the area we would stay here again.

Attachments

• 8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8-9-11 Our site at Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky .jpg
    8-9-11 Our site at Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky .jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak (1).jpg
    8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak (1).jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky .jpg
    8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky .jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky.jpg
    8-9-11 Levi Jackson State Park Kentucky.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 8
Aug 10th Levi Jackson S P First todayi we drove to Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, Ken., lots to do Carpenters Shop, Craft Stores etz. They have horse drawn wagon rides if you want to ride. We just walked around, shopped & took pictures, interesting place to spend a day or a few hours. We were only there for about 2 hours.
We want to visit a couple of near by state parks if we have time.

Attachments

• 8-10-11 Shakertown Pleasant Hill Kentucky .jpg
    8-10-11 Shakertown Pleasant Hill Kentucky .jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 8-10-11 Shakertown Pleasant Hill Kentucky.jpg
    8-10-11 Shakertown Pleasant Hill Kentucky.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 Shakertown Plesaent Hill Kentucky.jpg
    8-10-11 Shakertown Plesaent Hill Kentucky.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 8-9-11 Shakertown Plesaent Hill Tenn. Me trip fm Nikon (1).jpg
    8-9-11 Shakertown Plesaent Hill Tenn. Me trip fm Nikon (1).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 8-10-11 Road side fruit stand near Shaker Village Tenn .jpg
    8-10-11 Road side fruit stand near Shaker Village Tenn .jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 52
Aug 10th 2011 We toured Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. Cumberland is a beautiful park, a lot of water coming over the falls. They have a nice lodge, campgrounds with hookups, a campground along the river if your Rv isn't too big. Very nice Park I would stay here. We also toured General Burnside S P. they have a very nice camping area with hookups and a good looking Golf course if you are into to golf this would be a great park. I would stay here also. Maybe next time we are in this area we can camp for a few days in both parks.

Attachments

• 8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park 2.jpg
    8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park 2.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park 1.jpg
    8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park 1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 8-10-11 camp site Cumberland Falls State Resort Park .jpg
    8-10-11 camp site Cumberland Falls State Resort Park .jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park .jpg
    8-10-11 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park .jpg
    155 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park.jpg
    8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park .jpg
    8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park .jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park Golf anyone.jpg
    8-10-11 General Burnside Island State Park Golf anyone.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 48
Aug 11 Another day touring the area fm Leiv Jackson SP. First to Culmberland Gap Nat. Historic Park. The visitor center was an interesting stop don't miss it. Its a beautiful drive to the top of the mountain, from the lookout you can into 3 states Next we went to Corbin, Kentucky to visit and eat at the Birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken or KFC as some people say. It was interesting and the Chicken was good as usual. 

Attachments

• 8-11-11 Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park Kentucky.jpg
    8-11-11 Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park Kentucky.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 8-11-11 Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park Kentucky .jpg
    8-11-11 Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park Kentucky .jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park.jpg
    Cumberland Gap Nat Historic Park.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Cumberland Gap Standing in Vir. Fern Lake in Ken. and Tenn. to left.jpg
    Cumberland Gap Standing in Vir. Fern Lake in Ken. and Tenn. to left.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin, Kentucky .jpg
    8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin, Kentucky .jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin Kentucky Me trip Fm Kodak.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin Kentucky # 2.jpg
    8-11-11 Birthplace of KFC Corbin Kentucky # 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 41
Aug 11 After noon and we are full of Kentucky Fried Chicken as we travel to the Dr. Thomas Walker SHS, if you like history there is a lot here, nice picnic area and you can play miniature golf, kind out of the way but worth the trip.
Last but not least The Pine Mountain State Resort Park. The park as the name inplies is on top of Pine Mountain a pretty drive to the top and great views from some of the lookouts. A very good looking lodge close to the top didn't stay or eat there but did go in and look around nice. I was glad that we were not pulling our 5th wheel the road to the top was kind of steep and lots of cuves. The CG was nice and you could drive your RV to the campground. I just prefer to camp some were else.

Attachments

• 8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site .jpg
    8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site .jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site nice picnic area.jpg
    8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site nice picnic area.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    8-11-11Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 8-11-11# 1 Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    8-11-11# 1 Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 8-11-11# 2 Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    8-11-11# 2 Dr Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 8-11-11Dr Golf anyone Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    8-11-11Dr Golf anyone Thomas Walker State Historic Site.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 37
A few pictures of Pine Mountain State Resort Park

Attachments

• 8-11-11 Pine Mountain State Resort Park Kentucky .jpg
    8-11-11 Pine Mountain State Resort Park Kentucky .jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 8-11-11 Boarded up house on road going into notice tree growing in chimney.jpg
    8-11-11 Boarded up house on road going into notice tree growing in chimney.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 8-11-11 close of tree growing out of chimney.jpg
    8-11-11 close of tree growing out of chimney.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 8-11-11 Nice Pine Mountain picnic area they have bears here.jpg
    8-11-11 Nice Pine Mountain picnic area they have bears here.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 32
  • 8-11-11 Pine Mountain Lodge very nice if you don't camp.jpg
    8-11-11 Pine Mountain Lodge very nice if you don't camp.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm assuming that was Aug 10. The 9/11 anniversary is tomorrow (Tues) and I expect to be leading our local retired guys club luncheon attendees in singing 'God Bless America'. It's a monthly event that always gives me goosebumps, but tomorrow has special meaning to us all. I hope I can keep myself composed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom