Who said film was dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/07/photographs-from-unused-1949-film/

If you want to see just how dead film is just try and get a roll of film developed.

And to your erroneous point, you can buy D76 from Amazon, see here.  They have Tri-X on the same page.

I did try to buy APS film this week to find out it was discontinued a few years ago and only one shop had 1 left over pack at full price.  Processing was expensive as well.  It was for my old waterproof film camera.  It was cheaper to get a waterproof case for my iPhone.

Back on topic, it's neat to see that after all this time, the film was still quasi-usable.  It produced interesting photos.

Ned said:
And to your erroneous point, you can buy D76 from Amazon, see here.  They have Tri-X on the same page.
Your point is erroneous. I said just try to get film developed, and you point to a product you need to buy to develop it yourself.

A Google search on APS film turned up many sources for it, including Amazon (is there anything that they don't sell?).  Add developing to the search terms and you can find processors as well.  Long live film!

seilerbird said:
Your point is erroneous. I said just try to get film developed, and you point to a product you need to buy to develop it yourself.

As I said, you completely missed the point.  But I always processed my black and white film myself.

Ned said:
As I said, you completely missed the point.  But I always processed my black and white film myself.
I didn't even know there was a point to the post. I used to develop b&w and slide film too. I did it for about 6 months and then realized it was much better to pay some one than to smell those awful chemicals. God bless digital.

Ned said:
A Google search on APS film turned up many sources for it, including Amazon (is there anything that they don't sell?).  Add developing to the search terms and you can find processors as well.  Long live film!
Now that I have a waterproof case for my iPhone, I have no use for my 15 year old waterproof APS.  The waterproof case proved itself to work good when I capsized my cat on Sunday.

It would still have been cheaper to buy a waterproof disposable camera which uses film and includes processing.  APS were and still are expensive to process compared to 35mm.  Probably because I'm in a small city and nobody locally is equipped to process them. 

I was surprised that the local store that had a box left did not offer any discount considering it's probably over it's expiry date, mind you not as much as the film in your link.

Ned,

I don't think film is totally dead yet.  I'm sure some folks will still be using it for years to come.

Having said that, I did sell off the last of my film equipment over the past year or so.  :)

I think it's amazing that 60+ year old film could still produce legible images.  I'm almost sorry I tossed the remainder of my 100' roll of Tri-X 20 years ago :)

I love a war of words.. 8)

Anyone need a 'like-new' MAMIYA / SEKOR  1000DTL 35mm SLR camera. Complete with 35mm and 28mm lenses. Also have extension adapters for close-up work.

This is not a For Sale advertisement, just to make connoisseurs of fine ancient cameras drool.

Carson FL 94.0?

Attachments

• Mamiya Sekor camera.jpg
    Mamiya Sekor camera.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 11
And here I sit with a Canon EOS IX Lite (APS) with a pretty good zoom lens to boot. :'(  I think I might have had 5 rolls of film in it.  It sure looks pretty, anyway.

Photog said:
I don't think film is totally dead yet.  I'm sure some folks will still be using it for years to come.
Yes they will, but then they will need a scanner so they can upload the photos into their computer.

I love digital, shoot it, don't like what you see, try again....instantly.
J

seilerbird said:
Yes they will, but then they will need a scanner so they can upload the photos into their computer.
I think you are right!  ;)

There are still independent labs that will process film.  They may be quite expensive, and I don't believe  there are any left that will process Kodachrome, but for example, Industrial Color Labs in Syracuse, NY still processes C41 (color & some black & white negative film)  & E6 (color slide type film) PDF of Price List

That said, although I still have my Nikon F4 High Point & a Hasselblad 500C, complete with three lenses, I haven't used either in years.  Probably should have sold both while they were still worth something, but now they just take up space - I can't let them go!

When we shot with film, we paid more attention to composition and exposure when taking the shot.  There was little or no opportunity to doctor our photos after the fact.  Black and white photography excepted, of course, as we could do wonders in the enlarger.  I'm afraid that digital photography has produced a generation of mediocre photographers that feel quantity trumps quality.  I still try to make every shot count, not always successfully.

I mainly shoot wildlife. They are constantly moving, very far away and they don't want to have their photo taken. Composing a shot in camera is a luxury I don't have. I put them in the center and then blast away at 10 frames per second. On an average day I shoot 100 to 500 shots. I don't "doctor" them in post processing. When I post process I compose them and fix any problems like white balance and exposure. If you want to sit around and try and wait for the perfect wildlife shot to appear right in front of your eyes you will come home with an empty roll of film. For my money it is not the method used to get the photo, it is the photo that counts. The people who view my photos have no clue if my photos were "doctored" or not. All they want is to view the final images. From the compliments I get around here and elsewhere I think I am doing a pretty good job. On an average day of shooting I am in the field four or five hours and I hike 5 to 10 miles during that time. All in the hopes I will end up with one or two great photos. That is one hell of an effort for every image I produce. It is not the method that counts, it is the final result. If someone wants to criticize me for "doctoring" my photos then they should get out their film camera and produce some results that are better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom